Developing TMax P3200

Old March 29th 04, 01:11 AM
Jevin Sweval

Default Developing TMax P3200

The only available developer is D76. I will be shooting at ISO 3200.
What times/temps/dilutions should I use to reduce the grain as much as
possible?

I will also be developing TMax 100 and 400 with the D76. What
times/temps/dilutions do you prefer for your personal tastes?
Old March 29th 04, 07:12 AM
Mike King

Well, here's one man's opinion:

Grain is primarily determined by the film you shoot. Shoot 3200--you get
grain.

Having said that you can somewhat reduce grain by choice of developer, you
already have chosen D-76, not a bad choice, it is some what finer grained
than, for example, HC-110. The trade-off is longer processing times.

It's been my experience that agitation, etc. have a much smaller effect on
grain formation than film and developer choice. Total wet time is reputed
to affect how much grain clumping you can get--mind you--I've never tested
this assumption, but it's in the folklore.

The Massive developer chart http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
suggests 14 minutes for straight D-76 at 68F/20C. I don't think I'd try
1+1!--it's not in the chart--I imagine the developing times would be pretty
long and there might be a fall off in developer action. (Most developers
have slightly finer grained properties at lower dilution's, D-76 straight
has more solvent action than at 1:1 with slightly lower accutance--which
will also reduce the appearance of graininess.)

D-76 is just fine for TMax 100 and 400. (Having said that, to be completely
honest, I don't use D-76 anymore, I find it too much of a hassle to mix, I
use TMax developer and HC-110.)

--
darkroommike

----------
om...

Old March 29th 04, 12:20 PM
G.M. Cotton

Now here is a worthy piece of information (especially for those of us who
were unaware of it). Thanks Mike!

Old March 30th 04, 06:28 AM
John

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:12:28 -0600, "Mike King"
wrote:

The Massive developer chart http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
suggests 14 minutes for straight D-76 at 68F/20C. I don't think I'd try
1+1!--it's not in the chart--I imagine the developing times would be pretty
long

20 minutes at 70F.

and there might be a fall off in developer action.

Nope. If anything you actually develop a slight speed increase
with developer dilution. And fall-off in developing potential is going
to be due to the dilution of the alkali and it's buffering capacity.
Borax has significant potential as far as film developers are
concerned. 1:1 might drop 0.1 pH.

(Most developers have slightly finer grained properties at lower dilution's, D-76 straight
has more solvent action than at 1:1 with slightly lower accutance--which
will also reduce the appearance of graininess.)

Higher concentrations = more exposure to sulfite = finer grain.

1:1 is still the best compromise though a 1:2 might work even
better for some.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email