How many watt seconds do I need?

Old December 10th 04, 01:00 AM
teflon

Take into account the cost of any soft boxes, grids/snoots, brollies, and
barndoors you may need, as well as the flash meter already mentioned.

....I would also suggest a spare sync lead. They are notorious for going
wrong, and the only time you'll ever find out is during a shoot.

Old December 10th 04, 04:26 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , me
wrote:

How many watt seconds do I need? I'm using a 35mm film camera. I'll be
shooting in my single car basement/garage and a smallish living room.
Ambient light from sun is dim, EV4 at 100 ISO for both.

I'd like 3 lights, main, fill and hair/bg/kicker. I assume the main and fill
should be the same w/s but how many w/s should the other light be? I'm
trying to come up with a ratio like 1/2 or 1/4 as many w/s as main.

I also want more than 3 power levels. I think this would be more versatile
and may be a necessity since I don't have room to move lights further from
the subject to reduce power. What do you think?

I apologize if this question is vague but I have never purchased studio
lights before.
Thank you for your help.
me

For portraiture you don't need much more than 50-100 watts per light.

Old December 10th 04, 04:26 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Gregory Blank wrote:

A really nice feature, perhaps more important than ws is can you
independently adjust output to each of the heads. I have a 1200 ws
Power pack but can't independently adjust the lights, other than to
move them back or forward or use a louver inside the softbox.

1200 is good and strong for 100 asa. More is better if you can afford
it.

Jeez...you don't need to give 'em a sunburn. Shooting portraits of
ordinary people at f/16 is not advised.

Old December 10th 04, 05:49 AM
Skip M

"me" wrote in message
How many watt seconds do I need? I'm using a 35mm film camera. I'll be
shooting in my single car basement/garage and a smallish living room.
Ambient light from sun is dim, EV4 at 100 ISO for both.

I'd like 3 lights, main, fill and hair/bg/kicker. I assume the main and
fill
should be the same w/s but how many w/s should the other light be? I'm
trying to come up with a ratio like 1/2 or 1/4 as many w/s as main.

I also want more than 3 power levels. I think this would be more versatile
and may be a necessity since I don't have room to move lights further from
the subject to reduce power. What do you think?

I apologize if this question is vague but I have never purchased studio
lights before.
Thank you for your help.
me

Remember the old quote, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
Substitute "Light" for "Speed' and "bright" for "fast."
The lights I have only give me about 700w/s, but they've been sufficient for
my purposes in the small space I have to work.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com