Hybrid Batteries

Old April 13th 07, 01:45 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Default Hybrid Batteries

Bill Funk wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:16:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

Please enlighten us as to the availability of a "Rayovac Hybrid NiMh
2100Mah" or "Energizer 2500Mah" battery that can be used in some
manner in conjunction with a digital camera or a GPS and is _not_ an
AA battery.

They are available as AAAs...
https://www.batteriesplus.com/pc-359...%20%20%20.aspx
or:
http://tinyurl.com/2cfkmd

Are you perhaps laboring under the misconception that "2100mAH" is a
brand name rather than a measure of electrical storage capacity?

You have three pieces of information, "Rayovac", which is the
manufacturer, "Hybrid", which is the product line, and "2100mAH", which
is the storage capacity. With those three pieces of information you can
determine which specific product is under discussion, and it is not an
AAA battery.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old April 14th 07, 05:45 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Dot

Ron Hunter wrote:

Jack Erbes wrote:

Interesting question. I'm in Maine but have not used my 76Cx outdoors
much this winter. And then it was in and out of my pocket and it
worked fine for brief periods of time.

I'll have to pay more attention to that next year as we are about out
of winter here now.

Jack

Lithium based batteries do have better low temperature performance than
NiMH, but both will put out less power as they get rather colder.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably just continue to use my lithiums. I've run
with my gps on top my pack for a few hours near 10F and have not had
problems with the batteries.

Dot

--
"The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury."
- John Hardy

Old April 14th 07, 09:24 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Just D

Some people reported that their states are not having the AA Hybrids. Just
got one set of 4 batteries (it was the last one in the nearest Wal*Mart).
Hybrid, AA4, Rayovac, 2100 MAh, Holds charge 4X times longer... We'll see
how it works but hopefully much better than Energiser, Sony and other crap
that I bought several months ago. Those were not able to be even charged,
the half of them went to the trash can a few days later, one by one, and if
the rest of them were finally charged they were completely losing the power
in a few hours anyway. We discussed these batteries here and many people
confirmed same problems with this stupid generation of 2500 MAh batteries.
To say that I was disappointed means to say nothing. According to this NG
the new generation of Hybrids whatever technology they are using are much
better.

Just D.

Old April 16th 07, 12:03 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Tim Smith

In article ,
"MG" wrote:
I have a set of Energizer 2500s that are absolutely terrible. I heard on
this group that Energizer made a bad batch in 2005. I won't buy Energizers
again, bad batch or not.

That fits with my observations. I bought some Energizer 2500s and
noticed they would not work in my camera or GPS after a week or two on
the shelf, so I charged up all of my AAs, from three different
manufacturers, put them on the shelf, and measured the voltage several
times over the next 350 hours.

After 350 hours, the Energizers were all down 30%. Two Duracells were
down 6-7% and two other Duracells were down 2%. Five Radio Shacks were
down 6-8%, and one Radio Shack was down 11%.

In terms of voltage, every non-Energizer was still about 1.24 volts
after 350 hours on the shelf. The best Energizer was 0.96.

Another way to look at it: the Energizers at 50 hours were down to the
voltage the other brands were at 350 hours.

--
--Tim Smith
Old April 16th 07, 12:06 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Tim Smith

In article ,
ray wrote:
I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple of

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

All Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries are AA.

--
--Tim Smith
Old April 16th 07, 12:14 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Just D

"Tim Smith"
I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple
of

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

All Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries are AA.

Yep, just bought a set of 4, exactly what's described above^, although
didn't have a chance to test them.

Just D.

Old April 21st 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Prince

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Your camera _might_ be able to take a CRV3 pack, which replaces two
side-by-side AAs, if so there are lithium ion CRV3 packs
available--they're about 2300 mAH so no major improvement over Eneloops.

How does the price of a CRV3 pack compare to the price of two
Eneloops? (I suspect that it is considerably higher.)

Do CRV3 packs die after two to three years of use or nonuse the way
most lithium cells do? (I suspect that they do.)
--
I am terribly cruel to my cat. I give him so little canned food
that he has to eat some dry just to survive. I won't let him
Old April 21st 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 05:16:13 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

Your camera _might_ be able to take a CRV3 pack, which replaces two
side-by-side AAs, if so there are lithium ion CRV3 packs available--
they're about 2300 mAH so no major improvement over Eneloops.

How does the price of a CRV3 pack compare to the price of two
Eneloops? (I suspect that it is considerably higher.)

Probably not (literally speaking). They probably lose enough
capacity to qualify for "time to replace me". BTW, I assume that
you're both talking about a different, rechargeable version of the
CRV3, as CRV3s have a 3000mAh capacity, consist of two internal
CR14500 cells (Energizer's designation), and aren't rechargeable.
The rechargeable versions should be made from single Li-ion cells
that provide about twice the voltage of the 1.5v CR14500 cells.
They're sometimes referred to as RCRV3 batteries. Thomas
Distributing sells them for $14.97 each so they wouldn't be nearly
as cost effective as a Eneloops. Most people prefer having at least
one backup set which is usually enough to insure that shooting can
continue until they are able to get back to their chargers. Two
RCRV3s would cost $30, at least 3x the cost of two sets of Eneloops,
and they probably wouldn't last as many years. They would be better
for use in very cold weather than NiMH batteries, but in *really*
cold weather, non-rechargeable lithium AA cells are much better than
even RCRV3s.

http://www.nimhbattery.com/mpc-c301.htm

Do CRV3 packs die after two to three years of use or nonuse the way
most lithium cells do? (I suspect that they do.)

Even if the rechargeable type lost as much as 50% of its original
capacity, there would be enough remaining to be useful for some
photographers, and not nearly enough for much heavier shooters.

If Eneloops didn't exist, rechargeable CRV3s would perhaps be
better for intermittent, light shooters and regular NiMH would be
much better for more frequent shooters, ie, those that shoot enough
that they'd need to recharge at least every month or less. But as
Eneloops (and Hybrids, etc.) do exist they're probably a better
choice than CRV3s for most people.

Old April 22nd 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Daniel Prince wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Your camera _might_ be able to take a CRV3 pack, which replaces two
side-by-side AAs, if so there are lithium ion CRV3 packs
available--they're about 2300 mAH so no major improvement over Eneloops.

How does the price of a CRV3 pack compare to the price of two
Eneloops? (I suspect that it is considerably higher.)

Do CRV3 packs die after two to three years of use or nonuse the way
most lithium cells do? (I suspect that they do.)

First, let me clear up the terminology:
CRV3 batteries are NOT rechargeable. RCRV3 batteries ARE rechargeable.
I know of no lithium ion RCRV3 battery packs. Since rechargeable
lithium ion batteries are of a different formulation and put out 3.7
volts, I suspect there are no such.

I suspect that RCRV3 NIMH (NOT LITHIUM ION) battery packs would last as
long as standard NiMH batteries.

I have ordered 8 Eneloop AA cells from Amazon.com at a price of $19.99.
That is about twice the price of most NiMH batteries I have bought in
the past. If they perform as advertised (and user reports seem to
indicate they are even better than advertised, isn't that refreshing!),
then I will consider them a good investment.