Hybrid Batteries

Old April 12th 07, 03:00 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Dot

Default Hybrid Batteries

~~NoMad~~ wrote:
Greetings!

I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple of months
now. These are the ones that come fully charged in the package when you buy
them. They claim to have 4 times less leakage than typical NiMh batteries.
Previously I had been using Energizer 2500Mah batteries that seem to leak
down pretty fast when not in use.

Not sure which sub-thread to ask under, but how do these various
rechargeables work in cold weather - like below 0F in AK winter. That's
one of the primary reasons I started using primary lithium cells, as
well as shelf life. Where I started using them in field we also didn't
have access to electricity for a week or so. I've just continued using
what works, but am interested in newer stuff, esp. if I don't have to
keep buying batteries. (I've got lots of toys running on AA or AAA
batteries - gps, headlamps for running, footpods, field computers, etc.
Unfortunately, my camera doesn't use std batteries.)

Thanks.

Dot

--
"The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury."
- John Hardy

Old April 12th 07, 07:29 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Just D

"bitwisebob"
Maha C9000

I use Sony BCG-34HRMD Super Quick Charger, works ok.
see more at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_....html#chargers

I use Sony BCG-34HRMF Battery Charger.

Just D.

Old April 12th 07, 08:34 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mark B. wrote:
"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:44:01 -0700, ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM

Or Li-Ion

Li-ion are ok if you only pick up the camera infrequently, or you're going
on a trip where you'll be away from a source of electricity for a period of
time. Other than that, it's just throwing money down the drain as far as
I'm concerned. While I'm not an earth-hugger, yes there is an environmental
concern with disposable batteries. They cost about the same as they
hybrids, so the only additional cost with hybrids is a good charger.

Mark

I use the disposable lithium batteries(they are NOT Li-Ion!) for backup.
I keep a couple of sets around for that purpose. I suppose users of
the new 'hybrid' or Eneloop batteries would have less need for them, but
a spare set of batteries just seems like a worthwhile thing to keep around.
Old April 12th 07, 08:39 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Ron Hunter said
snip
re 'hybrid' NiMH AAs

They're certainly the battery of choice for the backup set I carry
round the hills in case my GPS (Or heaven forbid, my MP3 player)
goes flat miles from home.

I think I would be more concerned with my GPS batteries. A dead MP3
player isn't likely to get you LOST.

A dead GPS isn't going to get me lost - I've got maps, compass, eyes,
etc. Might be annoying in a white out I guess. However NO MUSIC while I
was getting back to civilization and I'd be pretty cross ...

Cross beats lost and dead any day!
Believe it or not, some people can go all day without hearing music...
Grin.
Old April 12th 07, 08:40 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ray wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 04:20:48 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

ray wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:18:34 +0000, Dave Cohen wrote:

ray wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:44:01 -0700, ~~NoMad~~ wrote:

Greetings!

I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple of months
now. These are the ones that come fully charged in the package when you buy
them. They claim to have 4 times less leakage than typical NiMh batteries.
Previously I had been using Energizer 2500Mah batteries that seem to leak
down pretty fast when not in use.

I use my batteries almost everyday and always carry a spare freshly charged
set. I usually wear out a set of Energizers in two weeks to a month. When I
change to the spare set it seems that the previously charged batteries have
leaked considerable charge. This is not the case with the new Hybrid
batteries.

I find that even though the Hybrids are rated at lower capacity than the
Energizers the Hybrids actually last longer in my usage situation.

Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM
Or Li-Ion

The subject is rechargeable AA's. I've been using a set of Sanyo
Eneloops since last September, only charged once. These are excellent.
Hybrid type are licensed from Sanyo but their rating is not same.
Eneloop claim to keep 85% of their charge for a year, Hybrid 3 months. I
think either way this is much better than other NiMH's. Hybrids costs
less in Walmart, haven't seen them selling Eneloop, got mine for Ritz.
Dave Cohen
I hope you'll forgive me for being such an idiot. I read the OP eight
times and I did not see AA in there once.

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read up
on the subject so you can follow the discussion.

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

It's right there in the first line. He names the batteries, and they
ARE AA batteries, which you would KNOW if you read up on the subject.
Old April 12th 07, 08:45 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ray wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:22:06 -0700, Paul Allen wrote:

ray wrote:
I hope you'll forgive me for being such an idiot. I read the OP
eight times and I did not see AA in there once.

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read
up on the subject so you can follow the discussion.
DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

Everything you say here adds a little bit to your reputation. I'm not
sure whether these last posts of yours move you closer to "idiot" or
to "troll". They definitely do not move you closer to "reliable
source". Thinking before posting can work wonders, presuming that one
is not really an idiot.

Paul Allen

It simply bothers me when I make an reasonable comment which is not off
track of the discussion and am immediately labeled an idiot.

You are correct that 'thinking before posting can work wonders' - you
should try it.

Sometimes, previous knowledge about the subject can make the discussion
easier to follow, and YOU are the one who branded yourself an 'idiot'.
Old April 12th 07, 08:48 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mike Lane wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:46:35 +0100, J. Clarke wrote
(in article ):

Mark B. wrote:
"ray" wrote in message
news On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:44:01 -0700, ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM
Or Li-Ion

Li-ion are ok if you only pick up the camera infrequently, or you're
going on a trip where you'll be away from a source of electricity for
a period of time. Other than that, it's just throwing money down the
drain as far as I'm concerned. While I'm not an earth-hugger, yes
there is an environmental concern with disposable batteries. They
cost about the same as they hybrids, so the only additional cost with
hybrids is a good charger.

??? Lithium ion batteries are no more "disposable" than "hybrids".

You seem to be confusing lithium ion with lithium-i_r_on. Lithium ion
is a 3.6 volt rechargeable technology, not readily available in AA,
lithium iron is 1.3 volt nonrechargable and made in AA size.

I always keep a couple of sets of lithium-iron batteries in my bag for
emergencies--they keep practically forever and have very high capacity.

Yes for cameras I find them excellent. I put in a set of 4 in my Canon A620
last year. I took about 400 shots on holiday and quite a few since, and
they're still going strong. I don't think I'll go back to the NiMH with all
their charging paraphernalia.

On my camera, the Lithium disposables give about 300 shots, while I get
about 250 from NIMH batteries, IF I do all the shooting in 3-5 days.
Longer times greatly reduce the number of shots due to self-discharge.
Since I can buy the disposables for 12 for $20, I find them a plausible
choice for my purposes. My picture taking tends to be sporadic.
Old April 12th 07, 11:07 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Default Hybrid Batteries and Synthetic Oil

Oliver Fleming wrote:
Hi,
I would refer you to this from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

I would never refer anybody to anything from wikipedia. It's useful as
an introduction to a subject with which one is completely unfamiliar and
for answering questions such as "who the heck is this Hilton chick that
everybody's talking about" but it is hardly authoritative.

Try http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html.

But even on your wiki article, note the caveat on Group III base stocks,
"Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil *in North
America*".

Cheers
Oliver Fleming

Re s
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
Bitstring , from the
wonderful person ray said
snip
I'm familiar with the claims for 'enerloop'. Perhaps you could
enlighten me though. As far as I know, the term 'hybrid' implies a
merging of two technologies e.g. a hybrid car is basically a
'gasoline-electric' - it uses the small gasoline motor to charge
the batteries. What is the 'hybrid' part here - NiMH and . . .?

What is 'hybrid' here is the functionality .. you get most of the
performance of NiHM (slightly less capacity, but same voltage, same
re-charger can be used, etc.) with something approaching the shelf
life of an Alkaline cell (well, 'somewhat in that direction'
anyway), and you can actually buy them charged (a non-starter with
most NiMH batteries, since they drain themselves on the self before
you buy them).

I'd agree it ain't a great name though, since you don't get there by
crossing a Duracell with an NiMH cell and sorting through the
offspring. 8.

"Hybrid" means whatever the marketing department wants it to mean.

If you drive you know that there is "synthetic oil". What you
probably don't know is that most synthetic oil isn't synthetic. The
marketing guys for companies that didn't know how to produce it
started calling their top grade oil "synthetic" and Mobil wasn't
fast enough off the mark or hired the world's most incompetent law
firm or something and lost the lawsuit that would have put a stop to
that particular deceptive advertising.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old April 12th 07, 11:16 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

ray wrote:
[...]

Please enlighten us as to the availability of a "Rayovac Hybrid NiMh
2100Mah" or "Energizer 2500Mah" battery that can be used in some manner
in conjunction with a digital camera or a GPS and is _not_ an AA
battery.

Old April 12th 07, 11:20 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Mark B. wrote:
"ray" wrote in message
[...]

If you need a large number of shots, get a DSLR and turn off the LCD.
I've shot at least 4000 images since the last time I charged the battery
in my 30D. I've never shot a battery to exhaustion in it.