Hybrid Batteries

Old April 11th 07, 05:33 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ted Edwards

Default Hybrid Batteries

ray wrote:
I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple of months

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read up
on the subject so you can follow the discussion.

Well, the 2100mAh gives it away but the fact remains that AA is a size,
NiMH is a chemistry and Enneloop is a trade mark of Sanyo which, BTW are
available in both AA and AAA. Since the AA size is by far the most
popular small (i.e. not car battery size) rechargeable, it is not
surprising that AA's appeared first. See

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/b...384bcce540 f3

for some other brands.

Ted
Old April 11th 07, 05:41 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ted Edwards

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
A dead GPS isn't going to get me lost - I've got maps, compass, eyes,
etc. Might be annoying in a white out I guess. However NO MUSIC while I
was getting back to civilization and I'd be pretty cross ...

I don't have an MP3 player and don't miss it since there's lots to see
and hear in the back country but I'd be upset if my digital camera
battery went dead just as an Osprey swooped down on a fish. I always
carry a spare set.

Ted
Old April 11th 07, 05:50 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ted Edwards

Jack Erbes wrote:
It might be that you need a better battery charger. I recently bought
I bought a Maha C9000 for about $50 on eBay, used that to condition the

Looks like a good unit. I have a Maha MH-C401FS which uses pulse
charging. Seems to work well on my Sanyo 2500mAh AA's.

Ted
Old April 11th 07, 06:04 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:22:06 -0700, Paul Allen wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:09:20 -0600
ray wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 04:20:48 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

ray wrote:

I hope you'll forgive me for being such an idiot. I read the OP
eight times and I did not see AA in there once.

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read
up on the subject so you can follow the discussion.

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

Everything you say here adds a little bit to your reputation. I'm not
sure whether these last posts of yours move you closer to "idiot" or
to "troll". They definitely do not move you closer to "reliable
source". Thinking before posting can work wonders, presuming that one
is not really an idiot.

Paul Allen

It simply bothers me when I make an reasonable comment which is not off
track of the discussion and am immediately labeled an idiot.

You are correct that 'thinking before posting can work wonders' - you
should try it.

Old April 11th 07, 06:46 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Jack Erbes

Dave Cohen wrote:

snip
Shelf life is shelf life and NiMH's lose their charge with time
regardless of how fully charged they start out. A better charger will
give better overall performance but won't turn a regular NiMH into an
Eneloop.
Dave Cohen

And part of the issue for me is that the batteries don't get used very
fast or steadily. But the Maha will do some analysis of the condition
of the cells, cycle them, and also help recover some cells that might
not respond to normal fixed/higher charge rates.

Time will tell...

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Old April 11th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat[_2_]

And there's a reason for that. The chemistry of lithium ion batteries
dictates a cell voltage of 3.6 or a multiple therof, while AAs are 1.5
or less and replacing them with 3.6 volt batteries is going to fry most
equipment designed for AAs.

Your camera _might_ be able to take a CRV3 pack, which replaces two
side-by-side AAs, if so there are lithium ion CRV3 packs
available--they're about 2300 mAH so no major improvement over Eneloops.

--John

Hey, thanks! I had been wondering about that!

Pat in TX

Old April 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Mike Lane

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:46:35 +0100, J. Clarke wrote
(in article ):

Mark B. wrote:
"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:44:01 -0700, ~~NoMad~~ wrote:

Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM

Or Li-Ion

Li-ion are ok if you only pick up the camera infrequently, or you're
going on a trip where you'll be away from a source of electricity for
a period of time. Other than that, it's just throwing money down the
drain as far as I'm concerned. While I'm not an earth-hugger, yes
there is an environmental concern with disposable batteries. They
cost about the same as they hybrids, so the only additional cost with
hybrids is a good charger.

??? Lithium ion batteries are no more "disposable" than "hybrids".

You seem to be confusing lithium ion with lithium-i_r_on. Lithium ion
is a 3.6 volt rechargeable technology, not readily available in AA,
lithium iron is 1.3 volt nonrechargable and made in AA size.

I always keep a couple of sets of lithium-iron batteries in my bag for
emergencies--they keep practically forever and have very high capacity.

Yes for cameras I find them excellent. I put in a set of 4 in my Canon A620
last year. I took about 400 shots on holiday and quite a few since, and
they're still going strong. I don't think I'll go back to the NiMH with all
their charging paraphernalia.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old April 11th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Pat" wrote in message

I purchased several packs of Rayovac Hybrids in January. I have some of
them in use in two cameras and they are still on the factory charge.
The longer shelf life corrects the biggest complaint I've had about Ni-mh
cells. If you go between charges longer than 2 or three weeks these
batteries make sense. Price is right too. Under $9 for a 4 pack of AAs
(Hybrids at Walmart).

John

I got mine at REI in Dallas. I could never find them at local Wal-Mart
stores.

Pat in TX

I was in a Target today and they had a pack with 2AAA, 2AA and recharger
for $10. I couldn't resist!
John

Old April 12th 07, 12:08 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Oliver Fleming

Default Hybrid Batteries and Synthetic Oil

Hi,
I would refer you to this from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Cheers
Oliver Fleming

Re s
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
Bitstring , from the
wonderful person ray said
snip
I'm familiar with the claims for 'enerloop'. Perhaps you could
enlighten me though. As far as I know, the term 'hybrid' implies a
merging of two technologies e.g. a hybrid car is basically a
'gasoline-electric' - it uses the small gasoline motor to charge the
batteries. What is the 'hybrid' part here - NiMH and . . .?

What is 'hybrid' here is the functionality .. you get most of the
performance of NiHM (slightly less capacity, but same voltage, same
re-charger can be used, etc.) with something approaching the shelf
life of an Alkaline cell (well, 'somewhat in that direction' anyway),
and you can actually buy them charged (a non-starter with most NiMH
batteries, since they drain themselves on the self before you buy
them).

I'd agree it ain't a great name though, since you don't get there by
crossing a Duracell with an NiMH cell and sorting through the
offspring. 8.

"Hybrid" means whatever the marketing department wants it to mean.

If you drive you know that there is "synthetic oil". What you probably
don't know is that most synthetic oil isn't synthetic. The marketing
guys for companies that didn't know how to produce it started calling
their top grade oil "synthetic" and Mobil wasn't fast enough off the
mark or hired the world's most incompetent law firm or something and
lost the lawsuit that would have put a stop to that particular deceptive
advertising.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old April 12th 07, 02:08 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Mark B. wrote:
"ray" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, sorry about that - the OP was talking about AA, so my brain skipped
the 'ion' part and only saw lithium, which of course is what I was talking
about.

Mark