Hybrid Batteries

Old April 11th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Default Hybrid Batteries

Pat wrote:
Or Li-Ion

The subject is rechargeable AA's. I've been using a set of Sanyo
Eneloops since last September, only charged once. These are
excellent. Hybrid type are licensed from Sanyo but their rating is
not same. Eneloop claim to keep 85% of their charge for a year,
Hybrid 3 months. I think either way this is much better than other
NiMH's. Hybrids costs less in Walmart, haven't seen them selling
Eneloop, got mine for Ritz. Dave Cohen

I hope you'll forgive me for being such an idiot. I read the OP eight
times and I did not see AA in there once.

well, I think he was alluding to the fact that there aren't any
rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries such as the eneloops and Rayovac
hybrids that come in the AA format. However, you would have had to
have been looking for AA batteries to know that Lithium Ion ones are
missing from the rechargeable lineup.

And there's a reason for that. The chemistry of lithium ion batteries
dictates a cell voltage of 3.6 or a multiple therof, while AAs are 1.5
or less and replacing them with 3.6 volt batteries is going to fry most
equipment designed for AAs.

Your camera _might_ be able to take a CRV3 pack, which replaces two
side-by-side AAs, if so there are lithium ion CRV3 packs
available--they're about 2300 mAH so no major improvement over Eneloops.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old April 11th 07, 12:44 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Jack Erbes

~~NoMad~~ wrote:

Greetings!

I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple of months
now. These are the ones that come fully charged in the package when you buy
them. They claim to have 4 times less leakage than typical NiMh batteries.
Previously I had been using Energizer 2500Mah batteries that seem to leak
down pretty fast when not in use.

I use my batteries almost everyday and always carry a spare freshly charged
set. I usually wear out a set of Energizers in two weeks to a month. When I
change to the spare set it seems that the previously charged batteries have
leaked considerable charge. This is not the case with the new Hybrid
batteries.

I find that even though the Hybrids are rated at lower capacity than the
Energizers the Hybrids actually last longer in my usage situation.

Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM

It might be that you need a better battery charger. I recently bought
eight NiMH AA cells (four Duracell, four Maha Powerex) and as I started
to use them I realized that the mainstream chargers are not very good.

I bought a Maha C9000 for about $50 on eBay, used that to condition the
new batteries and analyze and recharge two pairs that had had some prior
use but did not seem to have much capacity.

More details on the charger he

http://www.mahaenergy.com/download/mhc9000.pdf

The charger looked a little intimidating at first, like it needs an
engineer to run it, but that's not the case.

It looks like having a good charger is a important part of any realistic
solution aimed at avoiding the use of disposable alkaline cells.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Old April 11th 07, 12:46 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Mark B. wrote:
"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:44:01 -0700, ~~NoMad~~ wrote:

Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM

Or Li-Ion

Li-ion are ok if you only pick up the camera infrequently, or you're
going on a trip where you'll be away from a source of electricity for
a period of time. Other than that, it's just throwing money down the
drain as far as I'm concerned. While I'm not an earth-hugger, yes
there is an environmental concern with disposable batteries. They
cost about the same as they hybrids, so the only additional cost with
hybrids is a good charger.

??? Lithium ion batteries are no more "disposable" than "hybrids".

You seem to be confusing lithium ion with lithium-i_r_on. Lithium ion
is a 3.6 volt rechargeable technology, not readily available in AA,
lithium iron is 1.3 volt nonrechargable and made in AA size.

I always keep a couple of sets of lithium-iron batteries in my bag for
emergencies--they keep practically forever and have very high capacity.

Old April 11th 07, 01:02 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Ron Hunter said
snip
re 'hybrid' NiMH AAs

They're certainly the battery of choice for the backup set I carry
round the hills in case my GPS (Or heaven forbid, my MP3 player) goes
flat miles from home.

I think I would be more concerned with my GPS batteries. A dead MP3
player isn't likely to get you LOST.

A dead GPS isn't going to get me lost - I've got maps, compass, eyes,
etc. Might be annoying in a white out I guess. However NO MUSIC while I
was getting back to civilization and I'd be pretty cross ...

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
8,307 Km walked. 1,561Km PROWs surveyed. 28.4% complete.
Old April 11th 07, 01:45 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
bitwisebob

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 06:44:20 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

Maha C9000

looks like a nice charger, deluxe model for sure, not cheap, but if
you spend a bunch of money on camera, memory, computer, etc, makes
sense to have good batteries and charger

I use Sony BCG-34HRMD Super Quick Charger, works ok.

see more at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_....html#chargers

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon
Old April 11th 07, 04:09 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 04:20:48 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

ray wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:18:34 +0000, Dave Cohen wrote:

ray wrote:
[...]

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read up
on the subject so you can follow the discussion.

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

Old April 11th 07, 04:59 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

wrote:

Maha C9000

looks like a nice charger, deluxe model for sure, not cheap, but if
you spend a bunch of money on camera, memory, computer, etc, makes
sense to have good batteries and charger

I use Sony BCG-34HRMD Super Quick Charger, works ok.

see more at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_....html#chargers

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon

Shelf life is shelf life and NiMH's lose their charge with time
regardless of how fully charged they start out. A better charger will
give better overall performance but won't turn a regular NiMH into an
Eneloop.
Dave Cohen
Old April 11th 07, 05:21 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:09:20 -0600, ray wrote:

I hope you'll forgive me for being such an idiot. I read the OP eight
times and I did not see AA in there once.

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read up
on the subject so you can follow the discussion.

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

Of course. AA's were implied, not specified. Only those that
are familiar with the original Eneloop batteries and the more recent
Hybrids would automatically know that they are available as AA and
AAA replacements. They're just better NiMH batteries, and from the
little I've read about them, they probably don't differ much from
standard NiMH batteries chemically. They appear to have a much
better mechanical design that greatly reduces self-discharge, but
which slightly reduces the available internal volume which also
slightly reduces the cell capacities.

Old April 11th 07, 05:22 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

ray wrote:

I hope you'll forgive me for being such an idiot. I read the OP
eight times and I did not see AA in there once.

That is what the batteries mentioned by the OP ARE. You might read
up on the subject so you can follow the discussion.

DAMN. I just reread the OP five more times and I still don't see it.

Everything you say here adds a little bit to your reputation. I'm not
sure whether these last posts of yours move you closer to "idiot" or
to "troll". They definitely do not move you closer to "reliable
source". Thinking before posting can work wonders, presuming that one
is not really an idiot.

Paul Allen
Old April 11th 07, 05:23 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Ted Edwards

J. Clarke wrote:
If you drive you know that there is "synthetic oil". What you probably
don't know is that most synthetic oil isn't synthetic. The marketing
guys for companies that didn't know how to produce it started calling

Marketing people aren't known for there abilities with physics, math or
any other science for that matter. I'm sure you've heard of the
nonsense called "rms power".

Ted