I'm trying to get my pictures to look a certain way...

Old April 22nd 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Luttrell

Default I'm trying to get my pictures to look a certain way...

I just got a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55mm lens and I've been
trying to get my pictures to look the ones in the link below...

http://picasaweb.google.com/imputor/WeddingGettingReady

(the camera used for those pics is a Canon EOS 30D)

I'm not sure what it is about those pictures, I think it is the
softness or something but I just can't quite get mine to look like
that.

My question is, can I get my pictures to look like that with different
settings or maybe a different lens or is it the camera itself that
matters?

Here's a link so my pictures, only the ones dated April 9th or after
are shot with the D40.

http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321

Thank you for your help!

Old April 22nd 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Luttrell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55mm lens and I've been
trying to get my pictures to look the ones in the link below...

http://picasaweb.google.com/imputor/WeddingGettingReady

(the camera used for those pics is a Canon EOS 30D)

I'm not sure what it is about those pictures, I think it is the
softness or something but I just can't quite get mine to look like
that.

My question is, can I get my pictures to look like that with different
settings or maybe a different lens or is it the camera itself that
matters?

It's not really the camera. You may want a longer lens - say an 80 to 135
zoom for portrait shots, but other than that you should be OK, perhaps with
a little cropping.

People will tolerate somewhat distorted closeups of men with shorter focal
length lenses, but not so much of women. The photographer used available
light - you may be able to accomplish this, but get an external flash and
try bouncing off the ceiling. You'll lose fewer shots and still keep a
natural look.

Check out the alt.photo.techniques.people NG - lots of discussion of wedding
and portrait photography there.

Here's a link so my pictures, only the ones dated April 9th or after
are shot with the D40.

http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321

Your "title" shots for each album are excellent. My impression is that, like
many, you are more comfortable with landscapes than people shots, or you may
simply be caught up in the moment and not thinking about composition. This
could be a big problem when you're doing the wedding photography. I'd
recommend that you get your feet wet in a low pressure photography session
or two that involves photographing people. Get in close, feel free to ask
for certain posed shots, and get in people's faces a little, but at the same
time respect the fact that they are enjoying the event.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old April 22nd 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 21 Apr 2007 23:12:42 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

I'm not sure what it is about those pictures, I think it is the softness
or something but I just can't quite get mine to look like that.

My question is, can I get my pictures to look like that with different
settings or maybe a different lens or is it the camera itself that matters?

To get the effect of the "WeddingGettingReady" shots you need to
either have a location that has good, even lighting, or learn how to
use and control multiple lights. I suspect that most of the shots
WGR shots were made easier by being well lit, and that can be a
tremendous advantage if it allows you to shoot without using
intrusive lighting because it can allow the photographer to become
almost invisible and get better, more natural, unposed shots. But
if the lighting isn't ideal, it will be very difficult duplicating
the even softness you see in many of those WGR shots if you have
only the builtin or one external flash to rely on. You can get an
idea as to what can be done by looking at some tutorials on the web
page listed below. Many of them refer to particular Olympus
cameras, but the tutorials aren't really specific to any camera
brand or model, but a few refer to specific lighting products. Some
of the ones oriented towards lighting a

Exploring Lighting Options With Indoor Portraits
How to Use Strobes with Umbrellas
Photoflex Starflash - Basic Startup
Basic Strobe Use with StarFlash LiteDome Kit
Affordable Portraits with the First Studio Portrait Kit
A Daylight Outdoor Portrait
Shooting Full Length Fashion with an OctoDome3
Creating a Perfect Portrait, Every Time!
Shooting Glamour in the Studio
Shoot Full Length Portraits with Portable Flashes
Shooting on the Beach with LitePanels
Taking Professional Portraits Of Your Child At Home

http://olympusdigitalschool.com/phot...ons/index.html

These wedding shots benefit from not having the appearance of
being "posed". That's made easier if you're skilled at composition,
being able to visualize the kind of shot that you want, and then
positioning the camera to the most advantageous spot (and/or the
subject if it can be done without being intrusive). Also, search
the web for more tutorials on lighting and composition. Some camera
stores and some of the better bookstores should have a good
selection of books on these topics. With a little practice it
shouldn't be too hard duplicating the *effect* of some of the
wedding shots. I assume that this is all you want, not to actually
be able to take similar wedding photos. That would be much more
difficult because you'd have to do everything in the pressure
filled, hectic setting of a *real* wedding, and that will take
talent and more than a lot practice. You'd need lots of equipment
(and backups), fast lenses, powerful flashes (for bouncing and
avoiding redeye), possibly an assistant or two and several years of
experience.

BIG pictures or SMALL pictures ? Albert Digital Photography 11 February 20th 07 02:23 AM
gig pictures Alan Digital Photography 0 April 3rd 06 01:43 PM
some pictures nicolas vigier Fine Art, Framing and Display 0 December 30th 05 12:52 AM
Many new pictures Ted APS Photographic Equipment 0 December 4th 04 06:38 PM
New pictures NightOwl Digital Photography 3 September 5th 04 03:38 PM