Anyone used a monochrome laser for b&w?

Old February 25th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Anyone used a monochrome laser for b&w?

I got fed up with the running costs of my inkjet and decided that what
I really need is a monochrome refillable laser printer. I wasn't
printing many photos anyway and its running costs were stopping me from
printing much text too. It won't be here for a few days. I bought it
for text, though I'll ask here anyway if anyone had experience with
using a monochrome laser to print b&w photos. I'm not expecting
anything spectacular, but how good is a monochrome laser at that? Is it
usable?

Old February 25th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I got fed up with the running costs of my inkjet and decided that what
I really need is a monochrome refillable laser printer. I wasn't
printing many photos anyway and its running costs were stopping me from
printing much text too. It won't be here for a few days. I bought it
for text, though I'll ask here anyway if anyone had experience with
using a monochrome laser to print b&w photos. I'm not expecting
anything spectacular, but how good is a monochrome laser at that? Is it
usable?

Not really. With an injet, you have some huge number of dots-per-pixel,
giving you shades of gray. With a laser, it's black or it's white.

steve

Old February 25th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Mike Henley wrote:
I got fed up with the running costs of my inkjet and decided that what
I really need is a monochrome refillable laser printer. I wasn't
printing many photos anyway and its running costs were stopping me from
printing much text too. It won't be here for a few days. I bought it
for text, though I'll ask here anyway if anyone had experience with
using a monochrome laser to print b&w photos. I'm not expecting
anything spectacular, but how good is a monochrome laser at that? Is it
usable?

I just tried a print on my Samsung laser. It's not that bad really,
certainly usable for non-critical things, although I wouldn't really
call it photographic quality.
A problem you will have is with paper, I expect. I'm not sure how photo
paper designed for inkjets would work, and I don't know if anything
similar for lasers is available.
It depends what you are thinking of using the output for, as to whether
it's usable or not.
Old February 25th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Mike Henley wrote:
I got fed up with the running costs of my inkjet and decided that what
I really need is a monochrome refillable laser printer.

Ran across this the other day and it looks interesting:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...april-05.shtml

Check out the second part called "Carbon on Cotton".

Old February 25th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
oups.com...

I got fed up with the running costs of my inkjet and decided that what
I really need is a monochrome refillable laser printer. I wasn't
printing many photos anyway and its running costs were stopping me from
printing much text too. It won't be here for a few days. I bought it
for text, though I'll ask here anyway if anyone had experience with
using a monochrome laser to print b&w photos. I'm not expecting
anything spectacular, but how good is a monochrome laser at that? Is it
usable?

I found them pretty poor at photos. I use non original ink to print
monochrome and like the end results. My Print-Rite ink delivers a slightly
different tone to my epson when set on 'black only'; but as it's blacker
than Epson I quite like it.

The cost of the Print-Rite cartridge is about 15% of the cost of an Epson
cartridge, and in 7 months has not clogged the printer (10 carts).

I print the odd text document on my inkjet, but never a long document.
Mainly because it's slower than a laser and I have access to 2 laser
printers elsewhere. If I want to print a 10 page+ document I pop it onot a
memory stick and print it at work or on my Wife's printer.

John

Old February 26th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John Fryatt wrote:
Mike Henley wrote:
[...]

To cover a few walls. Nothing fancy. I'll probably print on regular A4
paper, and change it often.