Micro/Macro Photography

Old June 27th 04, 03:30 PM
TravisMLC

Default Micro/Macro Photography

I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
are key.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to record some of this stuff, either
as a movie file or in still frames.

On the same topic, what digital cameras for taking macro shots of my
work would people recommend. I've been impressed with Nikon 5400s. I
have a D100 with a Nikkor Macro 105 lens that's great, but I'd like
something smaller that is more convenient to use for quick pics.

Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.

TravisMLC
Old June 27th 04, 03:35 PM
Joseph Meehan

TravisMLC wrote:

On the same topic, what digital cameras for taking macro shots of my
work would people recommend. I've been impressed with Nikon 5400s. I
have a D100 with a Nikkor Macro 105 lens that's great, but I'd like
something smaller that is more convenient to use for quick pics.

Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.

TravisMLC

I don't think you are going to find anything that is going to do a
really good job without a dedicated macro lens like the Nikkor you listed.
I believe you are going to be limited to dSLRs for that.

Many digital non-SLRs have a macro mode that will allow fair images of
close work.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old June 27th 04, 05:19 PM
David J Taylor

"TravisMLC" wrote in message
om...
I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
are key.

Many people have used the Nikon 990 for similar applications. You might
want to ask your question he

Cheers,
David

Old June 27th 04, 05:56 PM
RSD99

"TravisMLC" posted:
"...
I would
like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
are key.
...."

Contact the manufacturer of your microscope system (Nikon, Olympus, Leitz, etcetera). They
probably already have all of the equipment, attachment(s), and accessories to do that as
standard catalog items. [I know that Olympus did as far back as the mid 1980s]

Old July 3rd 04, 09:37 PM
Ray Fischer

TravisMLC wrote:
I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
are key.

There are many microscopes available that have a mount for a
video camera. Shop around. It's standard hardware.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to record some of this stuff, either
as a movie file or in still frames.

Or on a VCR?

--
Ray Fischer