advice on switching from 35 mm SLR to digital please

Old June 24th 04, 05:59 AM
leo

"Douglas" . wrote in message ...
The D70 kit lens is MUCH better than the Rebels lens.The lens alone is

worth
$250 more than the Rebel lens!It might be "much the same" range,but it is
not the same quality!Also,the A2 can be found in the low $700s.If he does
not like switching lenses,it might be a better fit for him.I have several
dslrs,but not everyone needs or wants a dslr!The A2 is a very nice camera!

Nobody would question whether a $300 lens is better than DR's $100 lens. If
I'm correct, the D70 kit lens is DX, which is 66% of full 35mm frame and
it's not practicularly fast. The objective of the Canon camp is clear. They
are not commiting to any sub 35mm frame size so why spend too much money on
one. They have plenty of good L class lens. Save the money and buy the full
size lens for the future. ;-)

Old June 24th 04, 01:43 PM
Mark Panszky

You will probably get more on ebay. Maybe best to wait till the
Minolta DSLR is available before selling your lens as you should get
more for it then.

I'm not sure I quite understand. Do you mean I could use my Tamron lense
on a DSLR Minolta? Are SLR and DSLR lenses intechangable? Please advise
and forgive my ignorance.

Thanks,
Mark

Dan Pidcock wrote:
Mark Panszky wrote in message ...

Thanks for your input. Is there a decent 28-200mm (or 35-200mm) lense
available for any of the DSLRs and if there is would I be better off
purchasing the body only (without the kit lense)? I just can't see
myself changing lenses.

Also any idea what my Maxxum 550si with the Tamron 28-200mm lense would
be worth on the market? (Is is worth trading in or should I sell it
separately?)

Mark

The new Sigma 18-125mm gives equivalent to 28-200 on a DSLR with APS
sized sensor. It should be available this month. Seems to be about
£250:
http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/ac...n s__646.html
http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/ac...8_125_663.html

I doubt you will get much for your SLR on trade in. I saw the
buying-in price for a camera shop here and the prices were pitiful.
You will probably get more on ebay. Maybe best to wait till the
Minolta DSLR is available before selling your lens as you should get
more for it then.

Dan

Old June 24th 04, 01:52 PM
Jeff

I'm not sure I quite understand. Do you mean I could use my Tamron lense
on a DSLR Minolta? Are SLR and DSLR lenses intechangable? Please advise
and forgive my ignorance.

Thanks,
Mark

Tamron lenses can and are used on DSLR's just the same as the as on
SLR's. As long as the mount is compatible.
The only exception was the Olympus E-1, but that changed with the
introduction of OM adaptors.

Jeff

Old June 24th 04, 03:08 PM
Mark Panszky

Thanks for the info. If that's the case, I'll wait untill the new Maxxum
7 Digital comes out in the fall. Am I correct to assume that my Tamron
28-200 mm will be compatible with it? (I currently use this lense with a
Maxxum 550si)

Old July 1st 04, 03:48 PM
J?n Ragnarsson

Jeff wrote in message

Tamron lenses can and are used on DSLR's just the same as the as on
SLR's. As long as the mount is compatible.
The only exception was the Olympus E-1, but that changed with the
introduction of OM adaptors.

Jeff

Well, you can get Nikon F, Pentax screw mount, Yashica/Contax RTS,
Leica R, and Pentax K adaptor for the E-1. So I would guess that the
E-1 is quite flexible when it comes to using old lenses.
J.
Old July 2nd 04, 12:44 PM
Dan Pidcock

Mark Panszky wrote in message ...
Thanks for the info. If that's the case, I'll wait untill the new Maxxum
7 Digital comes out in the fall. Am I correct to assume that my Tamron
28-200 mm will be compatible with it? (I currently use this lense with a
Maxxum 550si)

The lens will have a physically compatible mount but as it's not genuine
Minolta you would probably have to try it. e.g. there are
some problems with Sigma Canon mount lenses on newer
Canon camera bodies because Sigma don't have access to
the mount specification - they have to reverse
engineer and may get things not 100% correct.

Minolta have said that pretty much any genuine Minolta AF lens
will work with their new DSLR.

However bear in mind the 1.6x crop factor that you
will get with the lens. Because the digital sensor is
smaller than film the imaging area is cropped. If you
look at the same sized print through a 100mm lens on
35mm film it will have the same field of view as a
160mm lens on a DSLR. The depth of field will not be
the same though. This makes your 28-200 roughly
equivalent to 42-320, which is nice for telephoto
shots but not very good for landscapes/indoor group
shots. The Sigma 18-125 would be equivalent to
28-200.

The Minolta D7D will not be at the cheapest DSLR level
- probably about $1500. It may be cheaper for you to
get a Canon 300D + 18-125 than the D7D. The D7D should
have better build quality and a more advanced
feature set.

If you decide to look at prosumers (e.g. Minolta A2)
do consider the additional shutter lag that DSLRs do
not have. Also the A2 has a slight viewfinder lag.
It depends if you need to capture the moment if this
is important to you.

Dan