Micro / Macro question?

Old March 28th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Default Micro / Macro question?

I need to photograph small objects at a distance of 2-4 inches (5-10 cm) from
the lens. I want a magnification of ~50 to 100.

Photomicrography (using microscopes) is limited in the working distance from
the objective; it needs to be 1 inch. Photomacrography is limited in the
magnification; typically 10.

I'd like a solution that terminates with filter threads (any size can be
adapted) so I may attach a digicam.

Suggestions?

If there is a better forum in which to ask this question, just point the
way...

Thanks.
--
Dr. Leonard. H. McCoy
"I'm a *doctor*, Jim, not a *magician*!"

Old March 28th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Happy Traveler

Hi Doc,

Seems like your solution would be an 'industrial' type microscope, not the
ones used in medicine. These usually go to the magnification and the working
distances you need. The better ones will zoom and have a ring-type
illuminator. A camera will usually attach with a 'C' mount. If you want to
use a P&S camera, make sure that a 'C' mount can be attached to it.
A stereo microscope with a camera tube will let you view the image through
the right lens, while using the left one for the camera. Fancier ones will
even have a third objective lens, allowing taking photographs while having
full stereo vision. Hope this helps.

obal.net...

Old April 2nd 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Anyoldiron

Hi there,

"Dr. Leonard H. McCoy" wrote in message
obal.net...
I need to photograph small objects at a distance of 2-4 inches (5-10 cm)
from
the lens. I want a magnification of ~50 to 100.

If it can be done, then the people at Brunel Microscopes will know:
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/

I have several of their IMXZ 'scopes with digital cameras for field of views
ranging from 50mm diameter down to around 1mm. At 1mm you will easily be
able to count/detect 50um particles.