Canon 50D announced, no 7D yet

Old August 29th 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Canon 50D announced, no 7D yet

nospam wrote:
In article , No Spam wrote:

http://bcnranking.jp/news/0807/080724_11351.html

Interesting too bad it's in Japanese.

the numbers aren't.

nikon: 40.7%
canon: 40.6%
sony: 8.6%
olympus: 5.3%
pentax: 4.4%

Their meaning is. David translated (thanks, and no, Japanese
is more difficult for me than German :-) :
- The numbers are major home electronics retailers
- The numbers represent only about 40% of the sales.

Hence the numbers prove (and only prove!) that Nikons are very
slightly more often bought in large retail chains. Maybe the
'real' photography shops sell many more Canons?

-Wolfgang
Old August 29th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

No Spam wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
Me wrote:

That was a fast product cycle - about 12 months for the 40d?

Canon couldn't stand idly by while the D300 took away their 40D sales.

What 40D sales???

The sales of people waiting for the 50D.

-Wolfgang
Old August 29th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote:

Their meaning is. David translated (thanks, and no, Japanese
is more difficult for me than German :-) :
- The numbers are major home electronics retailers
- The numbers represent only about 40% of the sales.

Hence the numbers prove (and only prove!) that Nikons are very
slightly more often bought in large retail chains. Maybe the
'real' photography shops sell many more Canons?

I was wondering if someone would noticeg.

However, the bad news for the Canonistas is that at least two of major
retail chains here (Yodobashi and BIC) are both camera stores that expanded
into consumer electronics and home appliances.

I'm actually surprised that national chains account for only 40% of sales; I
suppose that a lot of sales may be from internet discounters. I find that
even though Yodobashi's prices are higher than said internet discounters,
it's worth it to have the various extras (5 year extended warrantee, people
to talk to, and just being able to meander around in one of the largest and
best stocked camera stores in the world (they've got hard-sell salespersons
though: the blighter who sold me my tripod gave me demo'd it by swinging his
whole weight from it)). Yodobashi doesn't sell any used cameras, though, so
that gets me into the smaller specialty stores.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 29th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_6_]

David J. Littleboy wrote:
[]
However, the bad news for the Canonistas is that at least two of major
retail chains here (Yodobashi and BIC) are both camera stores that
expanded into consumer electronics and home appliances.

I'm actually surprised that national chains account for only 40% of
sales; I suppose that a lot of sales may be from internet
discounters. I find that even though Yodobashi's prices are higher
than said internet discounters, it's worth it to have the various
extras (5 year extended warrantee, people to talk to, and just being
able to meander around in one of the largest and best stocked camera
stores in the world (they've got hard-sell salespersons though: the
blighter who sold me my tripod gave me demo'd it by swinging his
whole weight from it)). Yodobashi doesn't sell any used cameras,
though, so that gets me into the smaller specialty stores.

I visited Yodobashi while in Tokyo a few years back, and it is indeed a
treat. I expect I could have happily spent the entire afternoon there,
although my credit card would need to have been locked away!

Cheers,
David