Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

Old November 24th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

"ian lincoln" wrote in
news

"David Geesaman" wrote in message
ian lincoln wrote:
"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but
in terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70
kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any
suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things
about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Stay away from the sigma lenses. Vastly inferior.

Sigma snobbery at its finest.

Absolutely not. I own a lens.

Good for you.

One was enough.

....to form an opinion about that particular copy of that particular lens.
OTOH, I've owned several, and they rocked.

Mr. Geesaman is correct. The 70-200 f/2.8 is a match for the Canon if you
don't need IS. The 30 f/1.4 is on par and a great compliment for the
Canon 50 f/1.4. The 12-24 is something not even offered by Canon on full
frame, and is quite good. The 120-300 f/2.8 is another zoom range that
Canon doesn't offer, and fills it quite well. And the Bigma is in a class
all by itself for the hobbyist and semi-pro.

The same comments apply for some Tamrons and Tokinas.

If you got a lemon, I'd suggest you do what I do in the future and make
sure you buy from a supplier that makes for easy returns.

snip
Old November 24th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Skip M" wrote:
One other thing about
Sigma, there are some compatibility issues with their lenses and
subsequent
Canon bodies, at least in the non EX versions. No reported issues with
Nikon, or other camera mfrs.

Some Sigma lenses don't fully support predictive AF with some Nikon
bodies. However, many users won't even notice this.

Did not know that.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 24th 05, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:

"Per Ting" wrote in message

How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit
lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion
for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things
about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Stay away from the sigma lenses. Vastly inferior.

Sigma snobbery at its finest.

Absolutely not. I own a lens. One was enough. Someone else mentioned the
sigma/canon problems. REchipping etc. If you have ever held a brand new
top end sigma lens in your hand and watch the end fall off. Then again
after returning from sigma for repair. Their cheap dx lenses for digital
cameras are the very worst. If you must go non manufacturer brand go tamron
or tokina. Trust me when i say sigma sell most cos dealers like 'em. They
like em cos they are cheaper than the other brands but still have a better
markup not because of any optical or build quality merits.

I got the Sigma 12-24 thinking full frame was important. It's pretty
sharp, almost flawless distortion and built like a tank, their own
version of AF-S. The color rendition & contrast aren't that great & the
bokeh is hideous but I only use it in focus and saved about $300 at the
time. It's a pleasure to handle.
Old November 24th 05, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Hi All
I have a friend who wanted a DSLR to take on holiday. The Nikon D70 was in
short supply and the dealer could only get the Cannon 300 so he bought that.
He gets some great snaps, but wishes he had to D70.
We (my wife & I) waited and bought a D70. Very pleased with it and still
learning as each day goes by!
Recently Cannon announced the launch of their 350 ............ Nikon
responded with the D70s .......... Oh and so as to keep existing D70 owners
happy bought out a firmware release for the D70 .... the camera still lives
on and is only just short of the D70s spec. The Cannon 300 is still the
Cannon 300 - if you want more you buy the 350.
Only thing we had go wrong was the battery charger - sorted very rapidly
too.
I guess that I know why I am pleased that we bought Nikon.
Thanks guys & Ladies of Nikon.
I have no business associations with the company - I just the D70!
Cheers
Hew

Old November 24th 05, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

The 20D and D70s are in different classes. The Nikon competitor to the
20D will be the D200 which will be coming out in December. At the moment
the D70s should be compared with the 350D and the D70 with the 300D.

The D70 compared with 300 D?? The D70 is a much better camera.

Old November 24th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Skip M wrote:
"Per Ting" wrote in message

How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

As far as which camera, that's one only you can answer, really. The pixel
count is close, but in favor of the Canon, the noise issue is a wash, the
Nikon is a little better at low ISO, the Canon is better at high ISO. Lens
lines are pretty much equally deep, with consumer and pro lenses both wide
and tele. Canon has more stabilized lenses, but only in the far reaches of
the tele world, both have a good selection of zoom lenses that have
stabilization. If you're going to shoot architecture, Canon offers some
exotic tilt and shift lenses that Nikon doesn't. Some people like the
ergonomics of one over the other, again, that's something best left up to
you.

The Canon 17-85 IS is a better lens, somewhat, but its main claim to fame is
the IS feature, one that the Nikon lacks.

Skip, I recall reading a magazine article where the reporter was
interviewing someone in the Canon hierarchy. The 17-85 "S" lens was
mentioned along with other lenses and the Canon person said if it were
not for the 17-85 lens being a "S" lens, the lens is so good it would be
have been released as an "L" lens.

I have the 17-85 lens and it's almost always on the 20D camera. As to it
being good enough to be labeled an "L" lens ... shrug. But it is a darn
good lens.

But it should be better, it
increases the cost of the kit by about $500 as compared to the Nikon
increasing its kit cost by about $200.
The 17-85 IS probably is the best walkaround lens out there for a 1.6x crop
camera, unless you need more reach. Then I'd recommend the Canon 28-135 IS,
which sells for about $400. And, there, Nikon does have an answer, the
24-135 VR.
I've heard some praise for the Sigma lenses you mention, the 18-50 in
particular, but as far as the 18-200, most of what I've heard is in the
"good for what it is" category, a 10x zoom has a lot of optical compromises,
by its very nature. If you don't want to change lenses, ever, and only
print to 4x6 or just show on the web, it might be sufficient. But, if you
get serious, you may find yourself disappointed. One other thing about

Old November 25th 05, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"nick c" wrote in message
. ..
Skip, I recall reading a magazine article where the reporter was
interviewing someone in the Canon hierarchy. The 17-85 "S" lens was
mentioned along with other lenses and the Canon person said if it were not
for the 17-85 lens being a "S" lens, the lens is so good it would be have
been released as an "L" lens.

I have the 17-85 lens and it's almost always on the 20D camera. As to it
being good enough to be labeled an "L" lens ... shrug. But it is a darn
good lens.

Seen side by sides with the 17-40mm L, the IS lens is definitely not an L.
PF something fierce, corners seemed softer at 17mm f5.6 than the L.

Martin

Old November 25th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
news
I got the Sigma 12-24 thinking full frame was important. It's pretty
sharp, almost flawless distortion and built like a tank, their own version
of AF-S. The color rendition & contrast aren't that great & the bokeh is
hideous but I only use it in focus and saved about $300 at the time. It's
a pleasure to handle.

I'm not one to jump in on the Sigma debate- I don't like 'em much, but
whatever floats yer boat- but I have to ask on that last point....

....doesn't that slightly velvety, spangly finish to the barrel really grate
on your nerve endings? It does mine- it makes me think of nail files.

Martin

Old November 25th 05, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Martin Francis wrote:
snip
Seen side by sides with the 17-40mm L, the IS lens is definitely not an L.
PF something fierce, corners seemed softer at 17mm f5.6 than the L.

What is PF? I tried googling this abbreviation, and inferred from some
hits that it is an alternative for CA, or chromatic aberration, but I
would like clarification

If it is in fact CA, why not say so?

BTW, I have the 17-85 lens, and while it exhibits some barrel distortion
and CA at the short end, it's not all that bad for a 17mm lens. I've
seen worse, and it probably takes an 'L' lens to be better, but not all
of us can afford 'L' glass. Furthermore, software correction for both
BD and CA is readily available, and does a creditable job of minimizing
the effects.
Old November 25th 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"nick c" wrote in message
. ..
Skip M wrote:
"Per Ting" wrote in message

[...]

No argument there, but quality is not the criterion for inclusion in "L"dom.
Exotic elements, defined as exotic types of glass such as fluorite, or low
dispersion glass, are needed for the lens to be considered an "L", according
to Canon's own literature. The 60mm Macro has this type of glass, but I
guess it is not included because it is an EF-S lens. (?) Makes little to
no sense to me...