Setting up a new Darkroom

Old February 11th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Setting up a new Darkroom

Framing one of four walls tomorrow the others just need sheet
rock for them.

The short list of stuff to be inside;

4x5 Mxt Color Enlarger
10x10 Diffused Halogen B&W Enlarger
11 " Table top Color print processor
Jobo Atl 3
Jobo CPP2
Arkay RC1100 paper dryer
2 sinks

If anyone might be interested in seeing the floor plan I can put
it on my website as PDF.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old February 11th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:18:14 -0500, G- Blank
wrote:

Framing one of four walls tomorrow the others just need sheet
rock for them.

The short list of stuff to be inside;

4x5 Mxt Color Enlarger
10x10 Diffused Halogen B&W Enlarger
11 " Table top Color print processor
Jobo Atl 3
Jobo CPP2
Arkay RC1100 paper dryer
2 sinks

If anyone might be interested in seeing the floor plan I can put
it on my website as PDF.

I would be. Also I'd find that 10X10 enlarger interesting. Any info on
that ?

==
John - Photographer & Webmaster
www.puresilver.org - www.xs750.net
Old February 11th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

If you haven't yet bought your drywall look for the more water resistant
type, mine is green in color, used a lot for a ceramic tile backer it
resists water better than standard "Sheetrock", it's not much more per sheet
and if your frugal (like I am) lay the sheets horizontally and use the
"greenboard" only in the lower course.

--
darkroommike

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com

Old February 11th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Mike King" wrote:

If you haven't yet bought your drywall look for the more water resistant
type, mine is green in color, used a lot for a ceramic tile backer it
resists water better than standard "Sheetrock", it's not much more per sheet
and if your frugal (like I am) lay the sheets horizontally and use the
"greenboard" only in the lower course.

Hey Mike thats a very good suggestion, by default I used some greenboard
against the walls that are exterior to the house's block walls-last
summer had some water leakage there and thought green board was called
for in those locations.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old February 11th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
John wrote:

If anyone might be interested in seeing the floor plan I can put
it on my website as PDF.

I would be. Also I'd find that 10X10 enlarger interesting. Any info on
that ?

==
John - Photographer & Webmaster
www.puresilver.org - www.xs750.net

I'll be more than glad to! that is once I have the enlarger set up.
Meanwhile I'll post the floor plan in a day or so,....I'll
give you the link in a followup.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old February 11th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:48:25 -0600, "Mike King"
wrote:

If you haven't yet bought your drywall look for the more water resistant
type, mine is green in color, used a lot for a ceramic tile backer it
resists water better than standard "Sheetrock", it's not much more per sheet
and if your frugal (like I am) lay the sheets horizontally and use the
"greenboard" only in the lower course.

Good advice. I'm doing this in all of the rooms in our home as we're
insultaing and rewiring the whole home. It's amazing how damp the soil
is here in Tennessee. There are obvious water signs inside every wall
I've looked in so far.

==
Old February 12th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike King wrote:
If you haven't yet bought your drywall look for the more water resistant
type, mine is green in color, used a lot for a ceramic tile backer it
resists water better than standard "Sheetrock", it's not much more per
sheet
and if your frugal (like I am) lay the sheets horizontally and use the
"greenboard" only in the lower course.

You realize you don't need to make the darkroom anything like a real
room. You could use just plain cardboard and 2x4's. All it has to do is
to stop light. I use a corner of a basement that is sealed off.

Yeah, but...
In my teenage years, my darkroom was in the old root cellar of the house.
There ain't nothin' like a real live temperature controlled, low dust,
spacious room filled with dark and a good stereo system!

(Actually, if you are going to use ceramic tile, you need to use cement
board- similar to drywall, but a water_proof_ product available in 3'x5'
sheets. Green sheetrock is water _resistant_.)

--
Ken Hart

Old February 12th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:41:17 -0500, "Ken Hart" wrote:

Yeah, but...
In my teenage years, my darkroom was in the old root cellar of the house.
There ain't nothin' like a real live temperature controlled, low dust,
spacious room filled with dark and a good stereo system!

Amen ! I spent so much time in the dark, I became quite adept at
hitting the remote control for my stereo on the fly. Had 2 floor
standing towers and six speakers hanging from the ceiling. Listened to
everything from Accept to ZZ Top, Bach to Wagner and Aaron Tippon to
Vince Gill. Whatever it took to drown out the persisting sound of
running water ;)

==
Old February 12th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Agreed! And let me add that my personal "must haves" in my darkroom
building were (1) a proper long sink (2) an accurate and repeatable enlarger
timer (3) a thermostatic valve for constant water temperature and (4) clean
air. I have a little B&W only darkroom in my basement that allows me to be
very productive by controlling variables like exposure times and
temperatures so I don't have to constantly fix errors caused by drifting
values.

Old February 12th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Ken Hart" wrote:

"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...

You realize you don't need to make the darkroom anything like a real
room. You could use just plain cardboard and 2x4's. All it has to do is
to stop light. I use a corner of a basement that is sealed off.

Yeah, but...
In my teenage years, my darkroom was in the old root cellar of the house.
There ain't nothin' like a real live temperature controlled, low dust,
spacious room filled with dark and a good stereo system!

(Actually, if you are going to use ceramic tile, you need to use cement
board- similar to drywall, but a water_proof_ product available in 3'x5'
sheets. Green sheetrock is water _resistant_.)

I might this is my dwelling therefore I want a permanent room, I've seen
people make tear down darkrooms out of plastic trash bags. Since I do
a lot of of darkroom work as earns me a fair portion of my business
I want it to be permanent.

I think I am a fairly competent carpenter, this last year so far I have
ripped all the carpets out of the house, had the hardwood floors
refinished, and I personally refurbished the bathroom. I bashed out the
walls around the tub and demolished the old yucky cast iron tub. Put a
new tub in, tiled around it, ripped down existing plastic yucky tile
which went half way up all the walls and reinstalled wainscoting, a new
crapper, and a new pedestal sink,....and new floor tile& paint.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com