mini dv

Old January 29th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default mini dv

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the reply. I was basically told the same thing by our pc
manager at work. just wanted the instant gratifacation in sending these
to grand parents and family members.He also mentioned that the
recipient usually does not have the large file capacity needed to
recieve these type files. sometimes even to many photos causes
unsenable size files.

Thanks again.

Burn them to CD or DVD and mail them. It's unlikely your grandparents will
get around downloading and decoding milti-part files. Although I could be
wrong

Old January 29th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 29 Jan 2006 12:27:35 -0800, "
wrote:

I had heard that, but was unable to find the software to do so. I had
even ordered and recieved the cable(was hopeing it was as simple as
plug and play, no driver software) no such luck. i had video capturing
software to copy dvds. maybe I was trying to get by cheap.

THanks

If you are using Windows XP it should not need any additional
drivers/software AFAIK. A Samsung worked for me by just plugging the
Firewire in. Is there perhaps a mode dial or switch that needs to be
set in a certain position in the camera?

Windows Movie Maker offers a lot of compression options. After
you make your choice it tells you what the final file size will be and
then you can either accept it or go higher or lower. IIRC you can
also specify a target size.

John H
Old January 29th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

I just recieved a JVC GR-D244U mini DV digital cam corder. Works great,
no problems. I wanted to transfer videos to PC. Found coolgear.Hooks to
same AV cable that came with camera..
http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/vicaandedgrx.html

Why aren't you using firewire straight from the DV format in the camera?
That "AV" cable you are using is the WRONG way of doing this, that's for
non-digital cameras. Did you ever read the instructions that came with the
camera? It explains how to do this correctly.

Seems that the files are
to large.

They need to be converted to Mpeg.

--

Stacey
Old January 29th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Read it, did it, no go. i'm using 4-pin to 4-pin. camera has been set
to different settings: play,manual,and auto. still it is not being
recongnized. i even went to device manager and updated 1394 connection.
no go.

Old January 29th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

John H wrote:

Windows Movie Maker offers a lot of compression options. After
you make your choice it tells you what the final file size will be and
then you can either accept it or go higher or lower. IIRC you can
also specify a target size.

And I bet it's expecting the original to be in DV format which requires
firewire download.

--

Stacey
Old January 29th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

thanks

Old January 29th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Have you
tried it on another system or a different firewire device on that one?

no. this the only device that has this hookup.

Old January 29th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
ups.com...
Read it, did it, no go. i'm using 4-pin to 4-pin. camera has been set
to different settings: play,manual,and auto. still it is not being
recongnized. i even went to device manager and updated 1394 connection.
no go.

What OS is on your computer?

XP handles capture automatically. If it's an earlier OS, you'll need
capture software (Note: "capture" is a misnomer in this context, because
you're really doing a bit-for-bit transfer of the data that's on your
camcorder to a file on your computer).

I _think_ VirtualDub, a free programs, may be able to capture.
Alternatively, Scenealyzer Live is a very inexpensive program that you can
purchase on line and does a great job of capturing -- it will even break the
capture into individual clips based on optical detection of scene changes,
or by reading time code from the tape.

Old January 30th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

XP