Photographing a framed painting

Old November 8th 05, 03:22 PM
tomm101

Default Photographing a framed painting

Andy Clews wrote:
This is not specifically about digital photography per se, but as I have a
Nikon D70 I might as well ask here as anywhere.

I've been asked if I can take a photograph of an oil or acrylic painting
that is mounted and framed behind glass, in order to print a copy of it.
I can't think of a way of taking the photo without getting a reflection
from the glass. Removing the frame and unmounting the painting is not
really an option because the photo is only a favour and the framing is such
that I or the person asking for the photo would probably have to destroy it
to remove the painting, and thus pay to have it remounted and reframed.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Best way is to have good tungsten lights (Lowel Totalites are my
preference)for reproduction of paintings you need a light that is
dependable for its color temperature. The lights you get at hardware
stores or round bulb lights aren't dependable.
Have polarizing filters on the lights (make sure they are aligned with
each other), polarizing filter on the camera.
Set the camera WB is set for tungsten.
Make sure the painting is aligned with the camera, this is amazingly
difficult, but doable. Lens selection should be a flat field lens, 50
or 60 macros are good, 100 is a bit too long for even normal sized
painting (20x30 inches or so). Zooms generally have too much
distortion.
For large paintings 4 lights is better than 2.
One more thing, a black background helps even if it is just seemless
paper.

Tom