Saving old archived photos

Old August 21st 04, 06:07 PM
Ron G

Default Saving old archived photos

Though I do a lot informal scanning of photos I don't necessarily trust
myself to do some very old photos in a family archive given my current
software, etc.

Can anyone recommend good software to remove old blemishes, tears, etc.?

Were I to go a commercial route to do this can anyone recommend a good
photo service to digitize them? What might it cost?

Thanks.

Old August 21st 04, 07:28 PM
Verne Cotton

Two softwares come to mind: Adobe Photoshop and JASC Paint Shop Pro soon to
be in its 9th incarnation.
Both are great and have somewhat of a learning curve. I have always used
PSP as it is much cheaper than Adobe and has most of the bells and whistles
if not all. PSP can be downloaded for a 90 day trial period whereas you
have to buy Adobe right off.
It is a matter of personal choice, I suppose.
Good luck.
Verne

Old August 21st 04, 07:36 PM
Gene Palmiter

I had an old photo drum scanned and retouched....it was about $1000. Family
photos are best done by the family. Software doesn't matter. You will use
whatever you have and do a bad job of it. Even if you had the best software
you will do a bad job of it....you don't yet know how.

Here is what you do....get a good scanner and scan the photos real well. If
the images get to be too big for a cd then there might be a
problem....otherwise scan them as big as you can and save to cd. Then fix a
copy as well as you can. As your skills get better in a few years give it
another go.

Old August 21st 04, 08:45 PM
Ron G

Gene:

Not sure what you mean, but I neglected to say that I have used PSP and
Photoshop Elements for a long time, and have done probably a thousand
photos for friends and family. I am concerned here about old black and
white photos, some of which are over 100 years old and in some stage of
deterioration. In terms of the photo size, etc. your advice is well taken.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:04 AM
Ron G

Hey guys, good software recommenations -- there must be more than
Photoshop CS -- and pricing. Though CS may be my answer, it does seem
expensive and to upgrade simply for this brush feature doesn't seem to
make sense. I understand the scanning at high res stuff. Thanks.

clw wrote:
In article ,
des wrote:

In article ,
says...

Though I do a lot informal scanning of photos I don't necessarily trust
myself to do some very old photos in a family archive given my current
software, etc.

Can anyone recommend good software to remove old blemishes, tears, etc.?

Were I to go a commercial route to do this can anyone recommend a good
photo service to digitize them? What might it cost?

Thanks.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS. With it you can use Healing Brush, Clone
Stamp, Curves and various other tools to make those old photos look like
they were taken today.

Not certain that with such photos the idea is to make them look like
they were taken today, but to first keep a copy of how they are now and
how to safely store the originals so that future deterioration is
minimized.

I too would scan at the highest resolution possible with my scanner and
burn as many CD's or DVD's as necessary to preserve the best possible
copies. Then, if you want to re-touch some of them just do it from the
CD and burn another CD of the results.

Every photo does not have to be "retouched" only those that you might
want to make prints of, and then only if you want the prints to look
like they were taken today. Sometimes the photo "as is" is what more
nostalgic people might want.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:16 AM
Phil Kempster

Ron G wrote in :

Though I do a lot informal scanning of photos I don't necessarily trust
myself to do some very old photos in a family archive given my current
software, etc.

Can anyone recommend good software to remove old blemishes, tears, etc.?

Were I to go a commercial route to do this can anyone recommend a good
photo service to digitize them? What might it cost?

Thanks.

Picture Window 3.5 from Digital Light and Color. They even have a tutorial
on cleaning up old family heirlooms!

I'm sold on the ease of opperation, compared to Photoshop and PaintShop.
Phil

Old August 22nd 04, 03:35 AM
Arty Facting

Adobe Photoshop CS is available on 30-day trial either as a web download
from Adobe's site

Some didgital photografy magazines have cover disks offering full 30-day
trials of PSCS or full Creative Suite

These, with the PSP 90-day trial may help you :-)
Arty