Do you use a lens hood?

Old August 9th 04, 07:44 PM
Newbie

Default Do you use a lens hood?

I was used to shading my camera lens with my palm, but my new camera
came with a detachable hood. So, I would like to hear how others use
it: First, do you actually use a hood? If so, do you leave it on the
camera all the time? Or, do you carry it with you separately?

My immediate motivation is that I need to buy a case, and it would be
different size case if I want to leave the hood on while the camera is
in the case.
Old August 9th 04, 08:26 PM
Moe

I detach the lens from my camera body leaving the hood on lens, to store in
my travel bag, just my way !!!! it just works (fits) in my bag better that
way.
Moe

Old August 9th 04, 08:59 PM
Newbie

Moe wrote:

I detach the lens from my camera body leaving the hood on lens...

Great, and oops, :-) you have an SLR! I forgot to specify that I have
one of those "deluxe" point and shoots (Ricoh GR1v). So the lens is not
detachable, only the hood is.

Old August 9th 04, 09:14 PM
Alan Browne

Newbie wrote:

I was used to shading my camera lens with my palm, but my new camera
came with a detachable hood. So, I would like to hear how others use
it: First, do you actually use a hood? If so, do you leave it on the
camera all the time? Or, do you carry it with you separately?

As much as possible, yes. And beyond that when shooting in some
conditions I'll use my palm or some blocker if I see light
falling on the front element. When using a circ pol, hoods
often cannot be attached, so bringing a blocker is a good idea
(small umbrellas are a good idea).

To fit in my bag (or lens case for the 300 f/2.8) the hood must
be removed or retracted.

My immediate motivation is that I need to buy a case, and it would be
different size case if I want to leave the hood on while the camera is
in the case.

Not always practical. And with some lenses will make putting
on/removing the lens cap difficult to impossible.

Old August 9th 04, 10:06 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Newbie writes:

I was used to shading my camera lens with my palm, but my new camera
came with a detachable hood. So, I would like to hear how others use
it: First, do you actually use a hood? If so, do you leave it on the
camera all the time? Or, do you carry it with you separately?

I try to use a lens hood pretty regularly. I'm near-religious about
it with the Tamron 28-105 f2.8, whose main fault is flare.

On a zoom, of course, a fixed hood doesn't do *that* much good (except
perhaps at the widest setting).

I've never actually bought and used a "compendium shade", which has
bellows and a cutout in the exact format you need and which you adjust
to just exactly block everything that isn't part of your image. Used
a lot in the movies, where the lighting is often extreme and the
lenses are very often exceedingly complex. Not really usable for
hand-held 35mm or digital work.

In addition to its optical benefits, I like a rubber lens hood as a
bumper. I really think it's better than a filter in some ways for
protecting the front element.

My immediate motivation is that I need to buy a case, and it would be
different size case if I want to leave the hood on while the camera is
in the case.

I can't imagine a case that holds only the camera being of much use.
I want at least spare film and batteries (or memory cards and
batteries), a few basic filters (at least a polarizer), lens cleaner,
notebook, pen, flashlight, pillow-pod. Usually multiple lenses (or
auxiliary lenses for the first digital P&S). Sometimes a spare body.