Opinions on Jobo LPL C 7700 Color Enlarger & Other Equipment

Old February 23rd 04, 12:15 AM
Andrew McCall

Default Opinions on Jobo LPL C 7700 Color Enlarger & Other Equipment

Hi Folks,

I am fairly new to photography and darkroom equipment, and am studying
it at night school - so at the moment I don't know much about darkroom
equipment, although I am learning. I have been offered the following
equipment for £150 (UK Pounds) from someone who I have just bought a
Nikon Coolscan III from:

Jobo LPL 7700* with a Colour Head
LPL Easel 10x8
Lens- Schneider 50mm f2.8
Contact Sheet Frame
3 10x8 Trays
Durst Clock Timer
Durst 35mm Development Tank
New and boxed Kinderman Stainless Steel Tank & Spare Reel
Part used Kodak and Ilford Multigrade Paper
Measuring Containers
Tongs
Ilford Safe Light

I was intending to buy my own equipment to develop my own film and do
my own prints, so this set up seems pretty good. As I don' know much
about equipment, I have loads of questions!

Can anyone give my any opinions on the equipment offered to me? Is it
at the correct price?

I use a Durst 707 at college for B&W prints and the 707 suits me fine
- is the LPL 7700 as good as the 707, and will I still be able to do
B&W prints using this, even though it has a colour head?

From the lsit given above, will I need to purchase anythings else to
get me going? I think I need the chemicals and a changing bag.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew McCall
Old February 23rd 04, 09:34 AM
Jim Phelps

"Andrew McCall" wrote in message
m...
[...]

From the lsit given above, will I need to purchase anythings else to
get me going? I think I need the chemicals and a changing bag.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew McCall

Andrew, Looks like a good set up for the price. The LPL enlargers have a
good reputation and would never need to be replaced unless you move up in
formats. That enlarger will project up to Medium Format, so it will only be
an issue if you move to Large Format.

The fact that the enlarger has a color head makes it more valuable to you
for B&W printing. It allows you to use Variable Contrast papers without the
need for additional filters. If you decide later to move to color, then you
also have what you need.

Other than chemicals I can suggest two things. Get some books (library or
where ever) that will explain the process to you. The other thing I saw
missing was a good, repeatable thermometer. Repeatability is much more
important than it being within 0.1 degree. A changing bag is not necessary
if you have a room that you can get really dark. Sit in the room for at
least five minutes and look around. You may be surprised what light you'll
see. If you can block those light leaks, then you'll be more comfortable
without the changing bag.

Jim

The Worlds Uncensored News Source