Dust on sensor?

Old November 2nd 05, 04:01 PM
phk

Default Dust on sensor?

I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

Old November 2nd 05, 04:15 PM
tbm

hi,
yes dust is a problem for most if not all dslr's.i have been told one of the best ways of cleaning one's sensor is with pec pads and
eclipse fluid.stubborn dust will not shift with a blower brush.rgds to all from TBM...

Old November 2nd 05, 05:13 PM
Bob Salomon

In article .com,
"phk" wrote:

I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

The Giotto's Rocket Blaster safely removes dust from sensors. It has a
very strong stream of air. More importantly the one-way valve at the
bottom of the rocket only lets air in from the bottom so dust blown away
by the nozzle can not re-enter the nozzle so only clean air comes out.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old November 2nd 05, 05:16 PM
SimonLW

I had the dReble for 2 years. I am careful about changing lenses in
dusty/windy environments. I never had to clean my sensor yet.

Get the large sized blower brush and remove the brush head. The smaller ones
are too weak.

The sensor has a glass cover over it with an AR coating. The dust gets on
this. Be careful not to scratch when cleaning - if the blower don't clear
the dust, that is.

Olympus has a ultra-sonic dust removal system on their DSLRs. I can't
comment on the effectiveness.
-S

oups.com...

Old November 2nd 05, 05:29 PM

Dust is a big concern with digital SLR's but after reading the procedure for
properly cleaning them at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/15473243 I
am less concerned about getting dust on the sensor. This page describes a
very thorough way to clean the CCD without doing any damage. The bulbs that
blow air around don't seem like a good solution to me for several reasons as
this web page states. It is worth a read for sure.

Chris

oups.com...

Old November 2nd 05, 05:47 PM
Bill Hilton

phk writes ...

I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems

with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

I would call it a nuisance but definitely not a reason to avoid
switching to a dSLR ... I usually don't see it and when I do see it it
typically takes 30 seconds or so to clone the specs out of the image in
Photoshop.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems

The smaller sensor models (1.5x, 1.6x) don't show as many problems, I
found I had to clean a 10D every 3 - 5 months for example (1.6x). The
larger sensor models seem to attract more dust and require more
frequent cleaning though. My 1Ds needs it typically once a week,
sometimes more often if in a dusty environment.

You only see the dust specs at small apertures, btw.

It appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for
dust removal, but I wonder whether that actually works.

I've used the Giotto Rocket Blower that Bob recommends in another post
to this thread and it didn't get all the dust off for me. I've used
the Sensor Brush and this usually gets everything off unless there's a
smear. If there's a smear I use a Pec Pad with Eclipse fluid, but this
is rare. After a while you get used to doing it and it's no more scary
than cleaning the front of your lens.

The Oly 4/3 bodies have a better way of cleaning the dust, done when
you turn the camera on, but there are a couple of other long-term
issues with this system that keep sales low and would keep me from
buying into the system. But if you're really paranoid about dust this
may be the best system for you.

Bill

Old November 2nd 05, 06:28 PM
Chris Brown

In article .com,
phk wrote:
I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

IME (I've owned 4 DSLRs), dust isn't that big a deal. If you shoot a lot
with the lens stopped roght down (e.g. macro), it can be a pain, but it's
generally not visible with the aperture wider than f/16.

A blower doesn't tend to get the dust off. I've found that pec pads, with a
drop of Eclipse cleaning solution (methanol), wrapped round the end of a
suitable shaft, such as a cotton-wool bud, with the camera on a tripod can
make short work of all dust, but you don't need to do it often. I owned an
EOS 10D for a couple of years and cleaned the sensor precisely once.

Occasionally you'll get something that's visible at f/8, or so. These are
more of a pain, but unlike the smaller stuff these do tend to succumb to
being blown off, and you can generally see them with the naked-eye as well,
if you look at the sensor (remember the image is rotated 180 degrees, so the
bottom-left of the image is the top-right of the sensor).
Old November 2nd 05, 06:33 PM
Joseph Meehan

phk wrote:
I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential
problems with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems.

Yes to both.

It is a problem IF you get dust on the sensor. If you are working in
certain dusty areas or are not careful when changing lenses, you may get
dust ( I have not had any yet and I change lenses a lot )

Once you get dust, it can be a little more difficult to get out of there
than it would seem, but not impossible and if you ever get the problem, just
come back and check out existing questions or ask a new one and you will get
the latest instructions on how to clean it. If you don't get dust, don't
worry about it and don't even try to clean it.

It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old November 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
Frank ess

In article .com,
phk wrote:
I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential
problems
with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

Plenty good advice and observations here. Let me add:

The big blower has worked well over the year I've had a 20D, and the
half-year I've had a 350D/RebXT: prior to changing lenses I use it to
send the dust away from the outside of the camera and of the lens
mount before opening either. Keep the vulnerable surfaces/openings
faced down, to enlist gravity as an asset.

When the 20D (thrice, so far) or the 350D (twice) require dust removal
from the sensor, I do all the exterior blowing, let the dust settle,
and open the camera, close the lens, blow out the camera, lock-up the
lens, blow out the sensor cavity and close it all up. All the blowing
with camera open is with the opening facing down.

Typical suspenders-and-belt mode: I am equipped to use brushes and pec
pads, but haven't met the need, yet.

As has been said, dust on the sensor is real and a concern, but not
much bigger a one than dust or fingerprints on external lens elements.

--
Frank ess
"You know my method, Watson. It is founded upon