DK50 availability - in Australia?

Old May 20th 04, 06:35 AM
PR

Default DK50 availability - in Australia?

I am trying to find a source of DK50 developer, particularly if the
reseller is located in Australia. We need this developer for a
technical development of x-ray film. The only source we have
(indirectly) found requires that we purchase 100 packets as a minimum
order. We only require a couple of packets for a short experiment. Any
suggestions would be most appreciated.
Regards
Paul

Old May 20th 04, 04:30 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"PR" wrote:

I am trying to find a source of DK50 developer, particularly if the
reseller is located in Australia. We need this developer for a
technical development of x-ray film. The only source we have
(indirectly) found requires that we purchase 100 packets...

From John Douglas:

DK-50:

Water @ 125 F 750 cc
Elon (Metol) 2.5g
Sodium Sulfite 30.0g
Hydroquinone 2.5 g
Sodium Metaborate 10.0 g
Pot.Bromide 0.5 g
Water to make 1.0 L

The darkroom at the U of W. Australia should be able to brew some
up for you.

Or, go to the local hospital/clinic/sawbones and beg/borrow/steal
a pint or two of X-ray developer: X-ray developer == X-ray developer
== X-ray developer.

However, DK-50 !=/ X-ray developer. It is a close relative of HC-110
in activity and effect.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old May 23rd 04, 11:22 AM
Frank Webb

On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:35:14 +0800, PR
wrote:

I am trying to find a source of DK50 developer, particularly if the
reseller is located in Australia. We need this developer for a
technical development of x-ray film. The only source we have
(indirectly) found requires that we purchase 100 packets as a minimum
order. We only require a couple of packets for a short experiment. Any
suggestions would be most appreciated.
Regards
Paul

The formula provided by Nicholas Lindan is correct, the components may
still be available from Van Bar at either their Carlton ot South Yarra
addresses if you come from Melbourne.

The base ingredients should still be readily available and you can of
course substitute Sodium Carbonate for the Sodium Metaborate but you
will only need about 1/3 of Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous) compared to
Sodium Metaborate.

When mixing Metol formulas you should observe the following because
Metol will not dissolve properly if you add it to solutions with a
large amount of Sodium Sulphite;

a) Add a very small amount of the Sodium Sulphite to water first,
the water temperature should be 30degrees Celsius.

b) Add the Metol quickly stirring until dissolved then add the
Hydroquinone and the remainder of the Sodium Sulphite.

c) Add the Alkali (Sodium Metaborate) last.

I didn't realise that DK50 was sutiable for XRAY film.

Divided and dilute DK50 is an excellent developer for modern B+W
films such as Kodak TMAX-100.
Old May 23rd 04, 08:53 PM
Andrew Price

On Sun, 23 May 2004 10:22:55 GMT, (Frank Webb)
wrote:

[---]

Divided and dilute DK50 is an excellent developer for modern B+W
films such as Kodak TMAX-100.

How does it compare with ID-11/D-76?
Old May 24th 04, 07:05 PM
Andrew Price

On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:42:03 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

How does it compare with ID-11/D-76?

DK-50 is more active than D-76/ID-11. It develops in a
shorter time and tends to produce somewhat coarser grain.
Since it contains bromide it does not produce any higher
speed.

OK, many thanks - in the light of that, I'll stick with ID-11/D-76.