IrfanView resizing quirk

Old September 10th 16, 06:55 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
David B

Default [OT] IrfanView resizing quirk

On 10-Sep-16 2:29 PM, Shadow wrote:
I don't think Win 10 runs on ANYTHING "reliably".

It's working for me!

You had better get your act together, Shadow!

--
David B.
Old September 12th 16, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default IrfanView resizing quirk

On 9/10/2016 3:52 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...
On 9/8/2016 8:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...
On 6/9/2016 7:42 µµ, nospam wrote:
In article , Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
wrote:

I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!
so what?

many computers have an intel cpu and amd gpu.

yes, but my combination is unusual.very few people buy AMD CPUs because
they're supposed to be crap, overheat easily etc. I'd say that 95% of
all PCs including laptops have intel CPUs the rest AMD.Actually, any
*decent* CPU from both manufacturers is a very good choice, much more
critical, important and overlooked is the mobo and PSU. Better get a
decent mobo and an AMD CPU than an intel CPU and a crappy mobo. And at
least an 80+bronze PSU, as it's *very* critical for the health of your
components. (I am talking about traditional PCs;not tablets, laptops et
al.).When I say decent I mean at least an A6 from AMD or an i3 from
intel;pentium, celeron, sempron, athlon is a no-no.
So where does a Raspberry Pi fit into this spectrum?

My objection to AMD CPUs is not that "they're supposed to be crap", it's
that generally speaking when I throw any kind of software at a system
that's all Intel it generally works without much hassle. The same is
not true if it has a non-Intel CPU or non-Intel chipset.

An i3 may be enough or too much or too little depending on your needs.
For some applications an Atom is fine. For others an I7 is way light.

As for an "80+ bronze" power supply, I would prefer a power supply that
is known to work reliably to one that has some pretty label on it
claiming how wonderful it is.

What software are you referring too? I've been using AMD chips in all
of the desktops I've had over the years (with the exception of the first
one I owned which came with a Cyrix CPU - remember those?). I've built
systems with AMD CPUs and boards with Via, nVidia, and AMD chipsets and
never experienced any issues running software. I'm talking about the
"typical" for me software such as WordPerfect, Office, Photoshop, and
some others - no games.

So what's the oldest AMD machine you have that runs
Windows 10 reliably?

My current desktop is fairly new so that's the only one I've had that
runs Windows 10 and it runs very reliably. Prior to that, I had a
six-year-old system that ran Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 8
when that was released. It ran both OSs without a problem.

Old September 13th 16, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

Beware of the automatic updates if your on "Home". You can't do to many
backups...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 13th 16, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

My desktop runs Windows 10 Pro. I allow auto updates and have had no
issues yet.

Old September 13th 16, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

I would make system backups and then updates twice a year with W10Pro
since it allows it. Good to hear that you have not had any problems yet.
--
teleportation kills
Old September 13th 16, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I keep redundant backups of my data such as photos, documents, etc. I
keep a copy on an internal drive that doesn't contain the OS as well as
a copy on two separate external drives. I regularly make an image of my
C:\ drive on a schedule and keep a copy on two drives.

Old September 16th 16, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

On 9/9/2016 12:36 πμ, Diesel wrote:
PAS Thu, 08 Sep
2016 13:42:54 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

But it's not 95% and that was my point. Don't count AMD out. At
one time, their Athlon processor outperformed anything Intel made.
It can happen again.

Outperformed.. depends on your POV. It used a lot more power than other
cpus of the genre, and, they had a tendency to fail from overheating
because AMD went cheap and didn't include CPU self preservation
technologies.

all these are urban legends!I built a PC for a friend for her bookstore
which is on 16 hours per day, is running the pro software for bookeeping
with AMD's A6!! It cost her around 254 euros and is running flawlessly,
as said for almost 2 years!! 16 hours a day 6 days a week.There's no
performance difference with an i3, say, and is noiseless, very important
for a pro environment. I also built my cousin a PC with an A8, totally
noiseless and cool, much better than the crap Pentium dual core she had!!
Old September 16th 16, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It "doesn't have a pretty label on it", the 80+ bronze is a quality
standard which does exactly that, state how good a PSU is. A 80+ bronze
power supply can work from 90 to 265 volts FLAWLESSLY it has a special
circuit that supplies the 300 volts rails always with 300 volts no
matter what the input voltage is, and it has an efficiency factor
greater than 80%. That means for 80 W real power at the output it draws
100 VA apparent power at the input. 20 VAr are wasted as reactive power.
Old September 16th 16, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" wrote

| Outperformed.. depends on your POV. It used a lot more power than other
| cpus of the genre, and, they had a tendency to fail from overheating
| because AMD went cheap and didn't include CPU self preservation
| technologies.
|

| all these are urban legends!

Not urban legends. Just *very* outdated beliefs.
AMD CPUs used to run hot and one really needed
a temp monitor to be on the safe side. But that
was many years ago.... like maybe 10 or more! I just
checked CPUID Hardware Monitor. My 8-core AMD
is currently at 93F. Ever since they came out with
"Cool n' Quiet", to perform micro-shutdowns between
cycles when not busy, their CPUs have run cool.

Even back when AMD CPUs ran hot they were still
a big bargain compared to Intel. Intel was a nasty
monopoly for many years, releasing minor improvements
every 6 months and milking the market as much as
possible before releasing the next minor improvement.

If it weren't for AMD
the cheapest CPU on the market would probably be
several hundred dollars, and we'd need different ones
for 32-bit vs 64-bit. (That's how Intel was going to
do it before AMD came out with a single CPU that
handles both.)

Intel has also been in bed with Microsoft through
the years. Genuine Windows and Genuine Intel. Official
stickers on computers. Lots of official sounding
nonsense to market Intel as the world's "official" maker
of CPUs. As can be seen from people in this thread,
their marketing is still working to blackball AMD.

The Vista fiasco was also due, in large part, to
Intel's shady partnership with MS. MS sent out specs
for Vista computers, demanding specific minimums
to handle Vista's notable bloat and Aero techno-kitsch.
The OEM companies were ready. But then Intel came
back and said they needed to dump a vast number of
leftover 915 chipsets, which couldn't handle Aero. So
Microsoft changed course and came out with Vista
Broken Edition, which I think they called Basic or
Premium or some such, to run Vista on 915 chipsets
with no Aero. And people were very confused. Vista
was marketed largely as an Aero pizzazz product.
Why else buy a new computer, after all? Yet people
were getting their new computers home and finding
no Aero. Microsoft, for their part, had made no attempt
to clarify that the lower priced Vista PCs were a different
product. They protected Intel at the expense of their
own customers. It was quite a scandal, with even some
at Microsoft outraged. The details are out there for
anyone who might be interested.

I haven't bought Intel since the late 90s. I doubt
I ever will again.

Old September 17th 16, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
Fri, 16 Sep 2016 11:19:08 GMT in
alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

It "doesn't have a pretty label on it", the 80+ bronze is a
quality standard which does exactly that, state how good a PSU is.
A 80+ bronze power supply can work from 90 to 265 volts FLAWLESSLY
it has a special circuit that supplies the 300 volts rails always
with 300 volts no matter what the input voltage is, and it has an
efficiency factor greater than 80%. That means for 80 W real power
at the output it draws 100 VA apparent power at the input. 20 VAr
are wasted as reactive power.

300 volts? You think your PC has anything on it that uses high voltage?

If you go and put 300 volts on the rails in the power supply, you'll
have capacitors launching like a ****ing rocket off the mainboard. If
they get to launch. Some will just explode like a grenade when exposed
to that. You'll see the 'magic smoke' pouring! out of damn near every
component on the mainboard until it either burns up completely and/or
the traces on the board fail.

Your power supply rails will be 12 and 5 volts. You're power supply
will also provide 3.3 volts or so for power good signal and wake from
'sleep' (what you think is off)

NOT 300 volts. You're confusing incoming line side power that's going
to be dropped via transformer to the much much lower voltages the PC
runs on.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That