IrfanView resizing quirk

Old September 5th 16, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default IrfanView resizing quirk

I'm using IrfanView (Version 4.42 - 64 bit) on this i7 PC running
Windows 10 to resize an image window. As soon as I start dragging an
edge, the image jumps to the centre of the screen, leaving the mouse
cursor behind! It then continues to resize, based on its now remote
mouse cursor. As soon as the mouse is released, the resized window
jumps back to its original place.

I've isolated it as apparently due to the setting 'Center window when
so does the centering of new images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gViewQuirk.jpg

A bug?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old September 5th 16, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
burfordTjustice

https://irfanview-forum.de/

Old September 5th 16, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
VanguardLH

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm using IrfanView (Version 4.42 - 64 bit) on this i7 PC running
Windows 10 to resize an image window. As soon as I start dragging an
edge, the image jumps to the centre of the screen, leaving the mouse
cursor behind! It then continues to resize, based on its now remote
mouse cursor. As soon as the mouse is released, the resized window
jumps back to its original place.

I've isolated it as apparently due to the setting 'Center window when
so does the centering of new images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gViewQuirk.jpg

A bug?

What if you use the keyboard to resize the image? Shortcuts are listed
at https://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win...View_4.27.html. If that
works then I'd look at what software is installed for the mouse (rather
than using ONLY the embedded driver and controls in the OS). If you
have a 2- or 3-button mouse then you don't need the ancilliary software
that comes with it (unless you want to define macros). If you have more
buttons (which requires their software to recognize the other buttons)
then uninstall it temporarily, retest image resizing in IrfanView, and
reinstall the mouse software afterward.

IfranView has a history of screwing up on mouse clicks (with or without
the Ctrl key) and the mouse wheel scrolling. Could be you found another
bug that gets expressed under Window 10.

https://irfanview-forum.de/
https://irfanview-forum.de/archive/i...63c31f7ce58408

I found many articles there about mouse problems and for a long time. I
had to search externally (using a search engine) because they want me to
validate a CAPTCHA image that does not show unless I permit scripts from
google.com. Since I won't, I don't see the image so they refuse to allow
a search using their forum software.
Old September 6th 16, 09:57 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Ed Mullen wrote:

On 9/5/2016 at 9:56 AM, Terry Pinnell's prodigious digits fired off:
Any users of the excellent IrfanView around? If so, can you reproduce
this apparent bug under Win 10 please. Didn't get it in XP but maybe
it's present in other intermediate versions?

I'm using IrfanView (Version 4.42 - 64 bit) on this i7 PC running
Windows 10. I'm resizing an image window in the usual way. But as soon
as I start dragging an edge, the image jumps to the centre of the
screen, leaving the mouse cursor behind! It then continues to resize,
based on its now remote mouse cursor. As soon as the mouse is
released, the resized window jumps back to its original place.

I've isolated it as apparently due to the setting 'Center window when
so does the centering of new images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gViewQuirk.jpg

Yes, with that pref checked resizing the window causes horrible flashing
etc. Uncheck and problem goes away. It is discussed at the forum link
burfordTjustice posted.

Thanks Ed, yes, I see from studying the bug reports and other posts
via that link from burfordTjustice, that it's a known problem.

Puzzling that you don't get the issue, Ken.
I wonder if there's some setting in Win 10 itself that influences
this?

I emailed Irfan too. Here's a summary of our exchange:

ME:
(Very similar to post here.)
--------------------

Irfan:
"Because the IrfanView code is same on all versions = this is a new
"feature" in Windows-10 ;-) (like some others)

I could add the window repaint after every resize (every pixel), but
this would blink and make it maybe very slow.

there are many strange things in Win-10 ;-)"

--------------------

Me:
"Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that, unlike other Windows OS
versions, Win 10 somehow forces IrfanView to behave as if it is being
loaded as a NEW image every time its edge is dragged a pixel?

I've not found any of my other programs suffering from this."

--------------------

Irfan:
"Yes, Win10 uses another painting/resizing ... for all
windows/programs, not just for IrfanView.

But there are different internal (in program) methods of re-painting
.... so this can be maybe avoided ... but why ... this is not really
important, most users will never resize it."

--------------------

Me:
"Thanks Irfan.

But I disagree with your comment that it's 'not really important, most
users will never resize it.'

I'm sure many users frequently resize their image windows, to position
them and fit them conveniently, etc. I certainly do!"

--------------------

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old September 6th 16, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

On 5/9/2016 4:52 μμ, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm using IrfanView (Version 4.42 - 64 bit) on this i7 PC running
Windows 10 to resize an image window. As soon as I start dragging an
edge, the image jumps to the centre of the screen, leaving the mouse
cursor behind! It then continues to resize, based on its now remote
mouse cursor. As soon as the mouse is released, the resized window
jumps back to its original place.

I've isolated it as apparently due to the setting 'Center window when
so does the centering of new images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gViewQuirk.jpg

A bug?

I had some very serious problems with win10. I had keyboard problems,
when I pressed ctrl or alt it would lock and I had to desperetaly press
them again. I threw away my keyboard for nothing. My USB ports didn't
work properly as if there wasn't enough power.I couldn't use windows
option to compress photos and then email them.I discovered that gigabyte
hasn't issued any win 10 drivers for my mobo.I formatted and returned to
win 7 and all is fine, knock on wood!! Of course I blamed everything to
AMD as I have the FX 4130 CPU, I must say that I'm running
Wolvenstein:the new order which explicitly asks for at least an i7 and
that's the cheapest FX that e-shop had!!!I wanted to buy at least an
6300 but couldn't afford it. But I got a very good mobo, 990 XA-UD3
(Gigabyte) but as it's AM3+ socket they have abandoned it in expectation
of Zen.I must say that I bought the AMD CPU with my fingers crossed, and
I bought a Nvidia graph card (the gigabyte GTX 650) because as everyone
subjected to the intel propaganda thought that AMD CPUs are crap, they
overheat etc.Of course some deficiencies are expected as it cost less
than even an i3, but all I had to do was to change the thermo paste, and
all is fine, even in the cretan summer and running demanding
games!Thanks Mr.Gates for freebie win 10 but I like doing things my way
and manually...
Old September 6th 16, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

Thanks Mr.Gates for freebie win 10 but I like doing things my way
and manually...

W10 is no freebee. It's an investment in the future...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 6th 16, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

On 6/9/2016 5:33 μμ, android wrote:
In article ,
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

Thanks Mr.Gates for freebie win 10 but I like doing things my way
and manually...

W10 is no freebee. It's an investment in the future...

yes, I know but it didn't work for me...as my PC is exactly 2 years old.
BTW, (what an oxymoron!!) I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!
Old September 6th 16, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

On 6/9/2016 5:33 μμ, android wrote:
In article ,
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

Thanks Mr.Gates for freebie win 10 but I like doing things my way
and manually...

W10 is no freebee. It's an investment in the future...

yes, I know but it didn't work for me...as my PC is exactly 2 years old.
BTW, (what an oxymoron!!) I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!

I meant for Microsoft! Insert Lou Dobbs smile here...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 6th 16, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Geoff[_5_]

wrote:

I'm using IrfanView (Version 4.42 - 64 bit) on this i7 PC running
Windows 10 to resize an image window. As soon as I start dragging an
edge, the image jumps to the centre of the screen, leaving the mouse
cursor behind! It then continues to resize, based on its now remote
mouse cursor. As soon as the mouse is released, the resized window
jumps back to its original place.

I've isolated it as apparently due to the setting 'Center window when
so does the centering of new images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gViewQuirk.jpg

A bug?

I don't observe this behavior with Irfanview 4.42 32-bit on x64
Windows 10. Could this be a graphics card or driver problem?

Graphics Chipset is AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Radeon Software Version 16.7.3
Old September 6th 16, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!

so what?

many computers have an intel cpu and amd gpu.