Canon Powershot G2 problem

Old October 2nd 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon Powershot G2 problem

All:

I've got a Canon Powershot G2 which is in otherwise good condition
except for one problem. The dial that controls whether the camera is
on, off, or in photo view mode seems messed up.

If you put the battery in with the dial in the off position, the camera
is off. if you move it to the right (photo view mode, P6), it goes into
photo view mode (P6). If you move it back to the off position, it stays
in photo view mode, and if you move the "take photos" model, the
display reads PC, like it wants you to hook it up to a PC. The only way
to get the camera to turn off is to take the battery out, and actuallty
taking photos is not a possibility.

Any ideas on solving this? Is there some kind of hardware reset I can
try? Sending it to Canon is more $ than it is worth so if I can't find
a solution I have to pitch the camera - which sucks because my Ikelite
underwater housing is just for this model and I will have to find
another just-as-old camera to replace it. I already had to do this once
and would like to avoid doing it again.

Thanks!
-iu

Old October 2nd 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris

Try blowing out the USB port on the camera with a can of air (like you would
use to clean your pc).

ups.com...

Old October 2nd 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Mac

On 1 Oct 2006 20:06:53 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Before I'd pitch the G2 I think I'd get some fast evaporating contact
cleaner ... Radio Shack may still carry it.... and spray sparingly around
the dial. Before it evaporates move the dial through all it's range so
it'll clean the contacts. (Just in case it's a dirty contact.)
Remove the battery before doing this.... Oh, a second thought,
doesn't the G-2 have an internal coin-size battery too..... wonder
if it needs replacing.
I once had a G-3 and a G-5. Wish I'd kept the G-5 when I bought
the DSLR.... but I can't keep them all!
Jack Mac
Old October 2nd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

wrote:
All:

I've got a Canon Powershot G2 which is in otherwise good condition
except for one problem. The dial that controls whether the camera is
on, off, or in photo view mode seems messed up.

If you put the battery in with the dial in the off position, the camera
is off. if you move it to the right (photo view mode, P6), it goes into
photo view mode (P6). If you move it back to the off position, it stays
in photo view mode, and if you move the "take photos" model, the
display reads PC, like it wants you to hook it up to a PC. The only way
to get the camera to turn off is to take the battery out, and actuallty
taking photos is not a possibility.

Any ideas on solving this?

I had a totally different problem with a Canon A60
and followed these instructions to take it apart:

(I didn't have E18 on the A60 either)

http://menthol.hit.bg/E18.html
http://www.artecdesign.ee/~jan/Kaame...A70/index.html

On the assumption that Canon use similar design ideas
on all their cameras, the switches are quite near the "outside"
of the assembly - fairly "moderate" (but warrenty wrecking)
disassembly should get you there, and you might
be able to clean (or otherwise improve) them.

Good Luck!

BugBear (who has a Canon A510 that DOES have E18 issues)
Old October 2nd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "bugbear" ?????? ??? ??????
[...]

The first in in Russian.The second is in some unknown language
(finnish?)Even if I understood either, I should have been very desperate for
a DIY repair or IMHO potentially destroy completely my camera.Modern digital
cameras and camcorders are just IMHO again too delicate complicated and
repair hostile for DIY repairs.
Unlike washing machines or stoves, that have a simple costruction, design
and plenty of room to stick your hands in (...errr.when there's no
electricity) and there are plenty of generic spare parts-a 12.5 uF capacitor
,400 Volt is everywhere the same-unlike again obsolete specially made camera
parts...

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
mechanized infantry reservist