alt photo methods:transfer

Old December 27th 03, 11:59 AM
Sub Codex

Default alt photo methods:transfer

Hello everyone~ I have never posted in your newsgroup. I hope you can
help me.

I want to transfer an inkjet image from paper onto a transparency. I'd
like to know if anyone else has done this. Ordinarily an inkjet printer
can put an image directly onto a transparency.

I can't do this with my Epson Stylus C60 inkjet printer. I am on the
Internet through a non-computer appliance supported by msntv, formerly
webtv. Printers won't work on transparencies in this system.

I need to place an image onto a transparency to use in a photographic
silk screen printing process. In this method the transparency is used
like a "negative" is used in photography.

Is there anyway to transfer a printed inkjet image onto a transparency?

Thank you.
dadida

Old December 27th 03, 05:34 PM
Angela M. Cable

Sub Codex wrote:

Is there anyway to transfer a printed inkjet image onto a transparency?

A photocopier can copy to transparency film. If it's B&W any copy
machine should be able to do it. Make sure that the film you buy is
marked for photocopiers, you can't, AFAIK, use inkjet transparency film
in copy machines because of the heat. If it needs to be done in color,
you'll have to take it to one of those copy places, Kinko's or whatever,
where they ought to have a color copier.

--
Angela M. Cable
PSP8 Private Beta Tester

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.psplinks.com
5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and mo
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/
Old December 30th 03, 02:16 PM
Sub Codex

Thank you Angela. I knew about photocopy transparencies but had
forgotten about it. I might end up having to use that method. I'm
wanting to first try a more hands-on procedure like a decal.

Since my last post I researched this newsgroup at google and came up
with a post about inkjet transfers.

The poster claimed that he had used several coats of "decoupage finish"
on the image, let dry, soaked, paper rubbed off then placed on new
surface and coated again. He specifically stayed on topic (inkjet
transfer, NOT laser print).

But I keep finding info that says inkjet won't transfer. I'd like to
plan this project first. I don't want to go out and buy stuff that won't
work. Does anybody know:

Can an inkjet image be transferred with the decoupage finish medium? If
not, what else might work?

Thanks~
Sub Co-

Old December 31st 03, 01:56 AM
Angela M. Cable

Sub Codex wrote:

Thank you Angela. I knew about photocopy transparencies but had
forgotten about it. I might end up having to use that method. I'm
wanting to first try a more hands-on procedure like a decal.

Since my last post I researched this newsgroup at google and came up
with a post about inkjet transfers.

The poster claimed that he had used several coats of "decoupage finish"
on the image, let dry, soaked, paper rubbed off then placed on new
surface and coated again. He specifically stayed on topic (inkjet
transfer, NOT laser print).

You're not going to get something like a transparency doing this. I know
what he's talking about, it's not decoupage finish, it's called
something else. Wal-Mart used to sell it, don't know if they still do.
What it's designed to do is to "lift" an image off paper and transfer it
to fabric. It's been ages since I tried it, although I do still have the
pillow. It seems that I used an iron to set the image to the fabric.
It's nothing like a transparency, it's thicker and completely opaque. I
remember thinking at the time that it would have been far easier and not
much difference in price to take the artwork to the copy place and have
them do a copy to iron on transfer paper.

But I keep finding info that says inkjet won't transfer. I'd like to
plan this project first. I don't want to go out and buy stuff that won't
work. Does anybody know:

Can an inkjet image be transferred with the decoupage finish medium? If
not, what else might work?

I don't remember what the stuff said on the bottle, I think it said that
it would transfer anything that was on paper. However, this was long
before there was such a thing as a home inkjet printer. What I
transferred was a B&W photo copy of a charcoal drawing that I'd done.

Old December 31st 03, 06:14 PM
Sub Codex

Hello again Angela~ you wrote:

You're not going to get...a transparency doing
this. ...what he's talking about, it's not
decoupage finish, ...it's designed to "lift" an
image... and transfer.. . It's nothing like a
transparency, it's ...completely opaque.

When you say "opaque" do you mean it is opaque after it dries? Or is
it the liquid that is opaque?

The poster that transferred the inkjet image said that a final coat over
the image after it was transferred was OK. If the medium dried opaque
you wouldn't be able to see it.

Old December 31st 03, 08:21 PM
Angela M. Cable

Sub Codex wrote:

Hello again Angela~ you wrote:

You're not going to get...a transparency doing
this. ...what he's talking about, it's not
decoupage finish, ...it's designed to "lift" an
image... and transfer.. . It's nothing like a
transparency, it's ...completely opaque.

When you say "opaque" do you mean it is opaque after it dries? Or is
it the liquid that is opaque?

Not the medium, the finished product is opaque. It is not translucent. I
don't see how one could possibly make a transparency mask using this
technique. All it does is lift the toner from the paper.

The poster that transferred the inkjet image said that a final coat over
the image after it was transferred was OK. If the medium dried opaque
you wouldn't be able to see it.

It doesn't dry opaque. The toner is opaque. If you're trying to do
something photographic, there is no less/more "dense" areas for whatever
chemistry you plan to use to allow less/more light through to it. It'll
be either completely opaque (toner) or close to transparent (no toner).
It does not dry completely transparent like a shellac would.

You'd probably get more useful information if you'd tell us what it is
that you're planning on doing. I suspect it's something like cyanotype?

Old January 1st 04, 04:02 PM
Sub Codex

Hi Angela =95 you wrote=A6

You'd probably get more useful information if
you'd tell us what it is that you're planning on
doing. I suspect it's something like cyanotype?

Yes, a cyanotype is one of the projects in which I would like to use an
inkjet transfer to transparency technique. But I also want to apply the
method to a photo silkscreen idea. Additionally, some of the other ideas
I've come up with will use multi-media.

I know that this sounds like I'm a prolific artist, but I'm not, at
least not at this time. I have ideas to communicate and there just isn't
any way to do this other than through art and getting excited about
technique.

Sub Co=96

Old January 2nd 04, 05:32 AM
Angela M. Cable

Sub Codex wrote:

Hi Angela • you wrote¦

You'd probably get more useful information if
you'd tell us what it is that you're planning on
doing. I suspect it's something like cyanotype?

Yes, a cyanotype is one of the projects in which I would like to use an
inkjet transfer to transparency technique. But I also want to apply the
method to a photo silkscreen idea.

Are you talking about temperatype? I think you almost have to be able to
print to transparencies to do this. I don't see how you'd be able to get
the individual split channel images properly registered if you do it by
hand somehow.

Cyanotype can be done with inkjet transparencies, I saw an article on it
in Popular Photography a while back.

What exactly is the problem with printing directly to a transparency
with the C60? Epson's site shows a print dialog in the C60's driver that
shows that it accepts transparency film.

Old January 4th 04, 04:45 AM
Sub Codex

Hi Angela, you asked:

What exactly is the problem with printing
directly to a transparency with the C60?
Epson's site shows a print dialog in the C60's
driver that shows that it accepts transparency
film.

The C60 will print onto a transparency when the printer is hooked up to
a computer. I don't have a computer.

I use a WebTV Plus=AE "Internet Appliance" sometimes called an "Internet
Receiver". Proud owners of the device usually call it the "little black
box (llb)". It accesses the Internet through a phone line and the system
hooks up to a regular tv and uses its screen instead of a monitor.

It is easier and costs less than a computer. I wouldn't be able to be
online without it. But in some ways it lacks in power and efficiency.

Unfortunately my "llb" and printer, as serviced by msntv (formerly
webtv),
won't print onto a transparency.

Sub Co~

Old January 4th 04, 06:40 AM
Sub Codex

My error in above post: the "little black box" should be abbreviated and
called "lbb" not "llb".

You might be surprised how often the lbb crowd makes that same mistake.
Sometimes you will find that the lbb is written in caps: LBB

So when you see any of these: llb, lbb, LLB, LBB it could mean "little
black box." This isn't rocket science. We are from webtv.net...

Sub Co=96