unused north coyote buttes permit

Old November 14th 03, 10:51 PM
kim

Default unused north coyote buttes permit

I have a permit for four people entering on 12/30/03 at wire pass
to coyote buttes area that I won't be able to use. Drop me an email if interested.
Old November 19th 03, 12:09 AM
ML

wire pass to coyote buttes area

there's a joke here somewhere.

Old November 19th 03, 01:41 AM
Caveat

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:09:19 -0500, "ML"
wrote:

wire pass to coyote buttes area

there's a joke here somewhere.

Not at all. Coyote Buttes is in the Paria Canyon Wilderness area of
Southern Utah/Northern Arizona. It is administered by the BLM, and the
rationed entry permits are in high demand. The North Section includes
*The Wave* and is approached from the Wire Pass Trailhead (which is
also one of the three entrances to Buckskin Gulch -- probably the
longest slot canyon in the world).

The permits are booked-up many months in advance, and lines form in
the BLM office at 9am each morning, filled with people hoping for
cancellations. A permit costs $5. The OP was kind to offer his/her
permit, and there are lots of folks out there who would kill for it.

http://www.didgeridoings.com/eyemagi...ote1/Coy1.html
http://www.phototravel.com/sample/coyote.htm
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~srj2/coyoteb/

Caveat

Old November 19th 03, 04:58 PM
Gary S.

wrote:

wire pass to coyote buttes area

there's a joke here somewhere.

Not at all. Coyote Buttes is in the Paria Canyon Wilderness area of
Southern Utah/Northern Arizona. It is administered by the BLM, and the
rationed entry permits are in high demand. The North Section includes
*The Wave* and is approached from the Wire Pass Trailhead (which is
also one of the three entrances to Buckskin Gulch -- probably the
longest slot canyon in the world).

The permits are booked-up many months in advance, and lines form in
the BLM office at 9am each morning, filled with people hoping for
cancellations. A permit costs $5. The OP was kind to offer his/her
permit, and there are lots of folks out there who would kill for it.

http://www.didgeridoings.com/eyemagi...ote1/Coy1.html
http://www.phototravel.com/sample/coyote.htm
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~srj2/coyoteb/

Some day I will have time and money available at the same time for
things like this.

And, it's pronounced "Byoot", which might spoil some of the obvious
jokes.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old November 19th 03, 07:08 PM
Caveat

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:58:14 GMT, Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:41:38 GMT, Caveat wrote:
Coyote Buttes is in the Paria Canyon Wilderness area of
Southern Utah/Northern Arizona....

Some day I will have time and money available at the same time for
things like this.

Yep, it seems like it's always a choice between time OR money, Gary.
But if you ever get out this way, though, let me know. There are many
other fabulous, but kinda secret, areas hereabouts that are never
mentioned or written about :-).

Caveat

Old December 24th 03, 02:30 AM
robert and joann rasmussen

Just go its public land and about 1 ranger per thousand square miles. they
don't patrol and they really can't do anything to you if they cath you.

Old December 27th 03, 03:36 PM
Footsie

I was there a year ago, and there was a ranger at the top when I got
there. He had overnighted there, and was checking permits, presumably
of anyone he met as he was coming out.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:30:24 GMT, "robert and joann rasmussen"
wrote:

Just go its public land and about 1 ranger per thousand square miles. they
don't patrol and they really can't do anything to you if they cath you.
.. .

wrote:

[...]

change "example.com" to "comcast.net" to email
Old December 29th 03, 04:19 AM
Allan

There will always be those who feel they know better than everyone else
and abuse the system. The last time I went there were at least 10 people
more than the allotment. This will only give photographers a worse
reputation than they already have and make it harder on the rest of us
when stricter regulations are put in place.

From: Footsie

I was there a year ago, and there was a ranger at the top when I got
there. He had overnighted there, and was checking permits, presumably
of anyone he met as he was coming out.

Footsie is right, a Ranger patrols the trail about once a week, more often
during high season. If caught without a permit the fine is $50 unless you are
guiding a commercial trip, in which case you will lose your commercial guide
permit for that area plus a larger fine.

And they check the parking lot (Wire Pass) EVERY day to make sure all the cars
have a permit on the dashboard, though you can get around this by buying the
Paria Canyon/Wire Pass day hike permit and just taking the fork at the CB
turnoff.

The permit system is in place to keep the number of people down so the
experience is better and it works well, especially now that they have walk-up
day permits, I feel.

Bill