Fuji S5100 or Fuji e550?

Old March 5th 05, 07:16 AM

Default Fuji S5100 or Fuji e550?

hi folks -

Im looking for a new digital camera. It's between the Fuji s5100 and
the Fuji e550. However , my decision making process became difficult.

Pros and cons:

Fuji s5100:

pro: 10x optical zoom,good build, optional telephoto for 558mm!
con: only 4 megapixel, larger size

Fuji e550:

pro: 6.6 megapixel, 2 AA batteries, compact size, optional tele lens to
255mm, speed, more advanced features
cons: only 4x optical zoom

I got used to using a Fuji S300 with a 6xoptical zoom in several
national parks and got some really good photos out of it. I borrowed my
friends Canon a80 and it just wasn't as fun composing shots, especially
for landscapes and wildlife.

The 5100 would be more fun, but it's almost 3 megapixels less. And, I
can add a tele lens to the 550 that will make it slightly better in
it's zoom range than the 6x optical, at around 255mm. However, the
optional tele lens for the 5100 gives you around 550mm!

I'm really stuck here. This will be used for website work and personal
use with lots of outdoor shots/wildlife shots for fun. Thanks for any
tips.

Old March 5th 05, 08:01 AM
Drude

In article .com,
says...
[...]

All I can say is that I've recently purchased an S5100 and really like
it... the MP issue is touchy, as I STILL say that any quality
improvement over 4 or 5 MP is questionable... but it's a personal
choice. I'm quite happy with 4MP.

I'm really impressed with the 10X optical zoom, and I've also taken a
few really great night-time long exposures.

I also like the fact that I can use it in full Auto mode or turn
everything off and go fully manual.

The only real CON I've experienced is with the Manual Focus... which is
a really weird set-up (gotta push two buttons on two different parts of
the camera simultaneously), but I'm getting used to it and I've taken a
few good shots now using Manual Focus.

Anyway...just my two cents' worth... as I haven't rried the E550.

Drude

Old March 5th 05, 08:36 AM

Drude - any trouble with image stabilization? That seemed to be a
complaint, but I never had a problem taking pix with the s3000 at 6x
full.

Old March 5th 05, 06:29 PM
Drude

In article .com,
says...
Drude - any trouble with image stabilization? That seemed to be a
complaint, but I never had a problem taking pix with the s3000 at 6x
full.

Several people have mentioned image stabilization problems as the S5100
doesn't have a stabilizer (personally, I think I.S. is a bit of a
crutch: I don't want a camera that does EVERYTHING for me...It's
sometimes good to experiment and make mistakes)...and I experienced a
few at first, but I was still getting used to the camera... I'm having
none now. It can be a little touchy when shooting in Auto Mode indoors
or in lower-light envirinments (at least that's my experience...), but
as I got used to the controls and started using it in other modes (I
like Aperture Priority or Manual, personally), those problems faded
away. Of course, setting the ISO higher helped immensely...

I think some people buy these things, stick the batteries in and run
outside to take pictures... and when the pics don't come out properly
the first time, they start to dis the camera...

If you want point n shoot simplicity, buy a $100 point n shoot!

I think it's a good, solid little 'near-SLR'. It has some weight to it,
unlike the little pocket models (which I despise - it's good to have
some weight to the camera), and fits any adapter lenses you might want.
Basically a really nice camera. I took several night-time shots in the
fog with a tripod the other night, and most of them came out quite
nicely.

So, very few complaints from me, anyway...

Drude
Old March 5th 05, 10:48 PM
tangwong

The E550 has changed my opinion toward digital camera completely. Up till a
month ago, I only use a film SLR. I have tried a couple 3 MP and a few 4 MP
before settling on the E550. I could not get any 4 MP to produce adequate
resolution and color accuracy. In terms of image quality, I am very
satisfied with the E550 and too often I ended up using it instead of a film
SLR. Shooting at ISO 80 and Raw output, I have made very high quality 16X20
that I was not able to do so with film. I am saving for a 10+ MP DSLR.

oups.com...

Old March 6th 05, 09:59 AM
Ron Hunter

[...]

I think you are worrying about the wrong things. Instead of obsessing
about how many megapixels the camera has, you should be thinking of
overall picture quality, handling ease, and size for the intended use.
If a camera is too big to carry conveniently, then you probably won't
USE it. If it doesn't have a good close up mode, then your website use
won't be adequate, and a good zoom lens is a handy feature for outdoor
use. It might be better to purchase two cameras, one for the website
use (quite non-demanding), and one with a great zoom lens for the
outdoor work.

--
Ron Hunter

Old March 6th 05, 10:01 AM
Ron Hunter

Drude wrote:
[...]

I am sure there are cases where a manual focus would be better than a
good multi-zone autofocus, but I haven't seen one in at least the last
20 years. Manual focus is a highly overrated, and little used, feature.
In almost any conceivable case, a good auto-focus, properly used, will
do the job better, and MUCH faster.

--
Ron Hunter