How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar

Old February 19th 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar

"RichA"

| Ugh.

https://petapixel.com/2015/12/01/ann...new-direction/

Depressing, huh?
It's fine to be nude, so long as they're sexually
unattractive. But then there's the question of whether
alleged accomplishment is interesting to look at.
What's the point if it's not nudes? Why women?
But then, does anyone want to spend a month
looking at a CEO or art museum director, just
because they have a high status job?

I saw a local magazine running a "most eligible
20 in Boston" the other day. They can't focus
on attractive women. They can't focus on men
with money. They can't even focus on hetero.
At least one was gay, but it was never actually
stated. So what are they eligible for? Being
desired for anything other than what you might
desire them for? This is getting very awkward.

None of the women was attractive to me. They
were all what might be termed, brassy, suburban
extroverts in jobs like media or management. So
why were they eligible? It seemed the only common
thread among the 10 men and 10 women was a
tendency to be involved and known in public
circles. So.... Fame is still a legal sex object!
Class is not going to be scrutinized in the new
wave of PC fascism. It's essentially an anti-sex,
puritanical, cultural inflammation.

Old February 19th 18, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 18/02/2018 23:28, Mayayana wrote:
"RichA"

| Ugh.

https://petapixel.com/2015/12/01/ann...new-direction/

Depressing, huh?
It's fine to be nude, so long as they're sexually
unattractive. But then there's the question of whether
alleged accomplishment is interesting to look at.
What's the point if it's not nudes? Why women?
But then, does anyone want to spend a month
looking at a CEO or art museum director, just
because they have a high status job?

I saw a local magazine running a "most eligible
20 in Boston" the other day. They can't focus
on attractive women. They can't focus on men
with money. They can't even focus on hetero.
At least one was gay, but it was never actually
stated. So what are they eligible for? Being
desired for anything other than what you might
desire them for? This is getting very awkward.

None of the women was attractive to me. They
were all what might be termed, brassy, suburban
extroverts in jobs like media or management. So
why were they eligible? It seemed the only common
thread among the 10 men and 10 women was a
tendency to be involved and known in public
circles. So.... Fame is still a legal sex object!
Class is not going to be scrutinized in the new
wave of PC fascism. It's essentially an anti-sex,
puritanical, cultural inflammation.

Reminds me of an old Spike Milligan joke. Man goes to his priest,
"Father is it wrong to want to look at pictures of naked women?"
"Of course it is my son, otherwise we would all be doing it".
Old February 19th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"newshound" wrote

| Reminds me of an old Spike Milligan joke. Man goes to his priest,
| "Father is it wrong to want to look at pictures of naked women?"
| "Of course it is my son, otherwise we would all be doing it".

That's a good one. I've never heard of Spike
Milligan. But I recognize that uniquely Catholic
perversion.

Old February 20th 18, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:02:03 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"newshound" wrote

| Reminds me of an old Spike Milligan joke. Man goes to his priest,
| "Father is it wrong to want to look at pictures of naked women?"
| "Of course it is my son, otherwise we would all be doing it".

That's a good one. I've never heard of Spike
Milligan. But I recognize that uniquely Catholic
perversion.

N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

What is the world coming to?

Eric Stevens
Old February 20th 18, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:02:03 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"newshound" wrote

| Reminds me of an old Spike Milligan joke. Man goes to his priest,
| "Father is it wrong to want to look at pictures of naked women?"
| "Of course it is my son, otherwise we would all be doing it".

That's a good one. I've never heard of Spike
Milligan. But I recognize that uniquely Catholic
perversion.

N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

What is the world coming to?

He probably hasn’t heard of Peter Sellers, and Harry Secome either.

Then there was Spike’s self composed epitaph; “I told you I was sick.”

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:04:48 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:02:03 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"newshound" wrote

| Reminds me of an old Spike Milligan joke. Man goes to his priest,
| "Father is it wrong to want to look at pictures of naked women?"
| "Of course it is my son, otherwise we would all be doing it".

That's a good one. I've never heard of Spike
Milligan. But I recognize that uniquely Catholic
perversion.

N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

What is the world coming to?

He probably hasn’t heard of Peter Sellers, and Harry Secome either.

Then there was Spike’s self composed epitaph; “I told you I was sick.”

Was "The Goon Show" ever shown on US television? I've seen clips, but
I don't recall anyone ever watching the show regularly.

The “Goon Show” was live radio, not TV, and vintage shows are available via
streaming on several apps including iTunes, and Tunein Radio. Due to the
English side of my family I was exposed to the Goons starting in the
1950’s.

Americans (I have no idea where "newsguy" is from) would know Sellers
from "The Pink Panther", "Dr Strangelove", and other movies but might
not know that he was in "The Goon Show".

Far from being in the “Goon Show” his role as a multi-character actor in
that show was what led to his later career.

There is a tie here to photography, you know. Sellers and Antony
Armstrong-Jones were close friends.

That was due to the Royal family being great fans of the “Goon Show”.

.... and I believe Armstrong-Jones had an “h” in his Anthony.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 00:16:33 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Americans (I have no idea where "newsguy" is from) would know Sellers
from "The Pink Panther", "Dr Strangelove", and other movies but might
not know that he was in "The Goon Show".

Far from being in the “Goon Show” his role as a multi-character actor in
that show was what led to his later career.

There is a tie here to photography, you know. Sellers and Antony
Armstrong-Jones were close friends.

That was due to the Royal family being great fans of the “Goon Show”.

... and I believe Armstrong-Jones had an “h” in his Anthony.

Nope. I do (in my birth certificate name), but he was "Antony".

Antony is the older spelling. The Shakespeare play is "Antony and
Cleopatra". It wasn't until the 1600s that the "h" was added by some.
Antony seems to be the more common spelling in the UK. At least, so
say the UK people that I'm in touch with in another newsgroup. When I
spell the name with an "h", they question my spelling.

Eden, Hopkins, and Blair are Brits with the Anthony spelling, though.
Anthony Burgess (Clockwork Orange) is actually John Anthony but drops
the "John" as his pen name.

The things we learn via UseNet.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

Ah. British. No wonder. Sorry. We get British soap
opera junk like Downton Abbey, and fake ethnic
Irish bands singing Danny Boy, on our PBS in the US.
I guess probably because it's cheap or free. Also
because there's a weird Anglophile cult among
American self-appointed highbrow types. Anything
said in a British accent is thought to be well thought
out.

But as far as I know, SM has never made it to
American TV. At any rate, I've never seen him.
I'm guessing NZ probably has more crown influence.
(What about NZ TV? Aside from Nicole Kidman I'm
not aware of any NZ media influence.)

If it's any consolation, I do know about Marmite.
(No, I wasn't stupid enough to try it. We Americans
may be hayseeds, but we're not that dumb.)

Old February 20th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Mayayana wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote

| N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

Ah. British. No wonder. Sorry. We get British soap
opera junk like Downton Abbey, and fake ethnic
Irish bands singing Danny Boy, on our PBS in the US.
I guess probably because it's cheap or free. Also
because there's a weird Anglophile cult among
American self-appointed highbrow types. Anything
said in a British accent is thought to be well thought
out.

....and yet we in the USA frequently steal British programming, to produce
shows such as “House of Cards”, “All in the Family”, and “The Office”.

Then there are the very good BBC series such as “Hinterland”, and
“Shetland” which are available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Add
Scandinavian series such as “The Killing”, “The Bridge”, and “Wallander”
which made it to the BBC in their original form, and made it to the US as
American productions.

But as far as I know, SM has never made it to
American TV.

Few have.

Spike Milligan was part of the British “Golden age of radio” in the 1950’s
as a writer, and performer in the “Goon Show”. Which was a radio precursor
to TV’s “Monty Python’s Flying Circus”.

At any rate, I've never seen him.

No doubt. However, he has featured in several movies, and documentaries.

I'm guessing NZ probably has more crown influence.
(What about NZ TV? Aside from Nicole Kidman I'm
not aware of any NZ media influence.)

Kidman is Australian, not a Kiwi.

Old February 20th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/20/2018 1:16 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

... and I believe Armstrong-Jones had an “h” in his Anthony.

In Brooklyn they would call him: "Antknee," so what's the difference.

--
PeterN