Leica M8 - is the lens mount THAT expensive?

Old October 4th 06, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Philip Homburg

Default Leica M8 - is the lens mount THAT expensive?

In article 2006100322373016807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom,
On 2006-10-03 19:21:57 -0400, (Philip Homburg) said:

In article ,
Paul Rubin wrote:
In car terms, a Leica is like a vintage British roadster while a
current Nikon SLR is like a new computerized Toyota Prius. The Prius
gets much better gas mileage, is more reliable, can go just as fast,
and can take you anywhere the roadster can take you, but it's nowhere
near as interesting to drive. As a pure utilitarian transportation
device, the roadster is ridiculous. But that's not why people buy
them.

Last weekend, I spend most of the time looking through a 300/2.8.

I sort of doubt that any range finder is going to provide anything close
to that experience.

On the other hand you could look through the Hubble Telescope and
that's more of an experience than your 300 f/2.8, though I must admit a
300 f/2.8 has a lot of style to it. Nevertheless, photography is not
all about telephotos, and the rangefinders have never been about more
than moderate telephotos. They have their own appeal.

Yes, but the analogy was wrong. Range finders are much more like motor bikes
if you want to compare SLRs to cars.

A motor bike can be a lot of fun, does have some advantages over a car,
but as a general purpose transportation device, the car is more practical
and more convenient.

It's the same thing with RF and SLR. RF does have its advantages, but the
system supports only a limited range of focal lengths. (And an SLR tends
to warn you that DoF is going to be an issue).

Once you get outside that range, the SLR is the only sensible option.

Old October 16th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bob Hickey

"jeremy" wrote in message

somewhere that photographers that shoot 35 tend to be oriented toward

either
rangefinders or SLRs, but not to both. I found that I am clearly biased

in
favor of the SLR. It may be bigger and louder, but the ability to see in
the viewfinder what will appear in the photo, regardless of what lens is
mounted on the camera, is invaluable to me.

The owner of my local 1-Hour joint, was always one
of those "always wanted a Leica" guys. Problem was, he couldn't see thru an
"M" and the "Rs" lost their resale values. His solution: buy the "M" and
take pictures with the old Nikon. Very inscrutable. Bob
Hickey