laptop for image editing

Old September 7th 04, 04:10 PM
Mr.Will

Default laptop for image editing

Does anyone have any opinions about makes/specs of laptops that they would
reccomend for photography? What Im trying to do wouldn't regard that much
image editing, but will need to preview alot of images quickly, select a few
for resizing and then send via the internet quickly.

I think therefore the need for a properly accurate screen isn't as high as
for the fine art photographers.......but apart from that Im still unclear.
Does one opt for the highest spec available - ie big processor, huge hard
disk etc. or is there some other hardware that will process and work with
photographs better than just more process speed?

Mr.Will

Old September 7th 04, 04:46 PM
[BnH]

Pentium M [or Centrino] 1.6G , 1 GB RAM under the hood, 5400rpm HDD,
Firewire / USB 2.0 connection,
12" hi res screen [1024x768], DVD / CD burner to back up your snaps , +
feather like weight laptops [beside your 15 kg photo gears ]
its all you ever need.

Candidate :
Asus M5200, Sony VAIO TR5 iirc, IBM X40

=bob=

Old September 7th 04, 04:53 PM
Hunt

In article , says

Does anyone have any opinions about makes/specs of laptops that they would
reccomend for photography? What Im trying to do wouldn't regard that much
image editing, but will need to preview alot of images quickly, select a few
for resizing and then send via the internet quickly.

I think therefore the need for a properly accurate screen isn't as high as
for the fine art photographers.......but apart from that Im still unclear.
Does one opt for the highest spec available - ie big processor, huge hard
disk etc. or is there some other hardware that will process and work with
photographs better than just more process speed?

Mr.Will

There are a ton of considerations for this choice. Do you need a really
lightweight unit? Do you need long battery life, or will you tie into ACDC
mains? Will you need to do critical color? Budget? Software?

For photo downloading, rough editing (no real color correction), in the field,
I use a Toshiba P25-S670 (newer one S678 ?) that works well. It's large (17"
monitors do that to a laptop), and loves to be tied into the mains, rather
than use the battery. Processor is 3.2GHz w/ 2GB RAM, HDD=80GB 7200RPM, and
vid card is 128MB shared RAM (more than enough for Photoshop). It has 4 USB 2
..0's and 1 1394 Firewire 400, plus built-in WiFi and 2 PCMICA slots.

Sony Vaio has/had a wonderful UXGA screen machine, but when I bought, they
had not updated it. I understand that now they have.

If you need crisp screens, these two fill the bill, but they are BIG, and
power hungry. A second HDD would be a real asset with PS too!

Hunt

Old September 7th 04, 06:39 PM
Skip M

"Mr.Will" wrote in message
Does anyone have any opinions about makes/specs of laptops that they would
reccomend for photography? What Im trying to do wouldn't regard that much
image editing, but will need to preview alot of images quickly, select a

few
for resizing and then send via the internet quickly.

I think therefore the need for a properly accurate screen isn't as high as
for the fine art photographers.......but apart from that Im still unclear.
Does one opt for the highest spec available - ie big processor, huge hard
disk etc. or is there some other hardware that will process and work with
photographs better than just more process speed?

Mr.Will

We have a Sony Vaio K-23 which works admirably for photo editing. 15.4"
WXGA screen, Pentium 4 mobile 2.80 (could be a little faster), 512m RAM
(could be a little more), CD-RW/DVD-ROM and a 60 gig HD. About $1500 before
rebates at pretty much ever computer store we checked. Oh, yeah, wireless
internet enabled.
The K-27 is about $200 more, includes a Centrino 1.6 and a DVD writer.
That sharp screen is absolutely necessary for photo editing, "art" or
otherwise. We know, we do both...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 7th 04, 07:12 PM
Martin Francis

"Mr.Will" wrote in message
Does anyone have any opinions about makes/specs of laptops that they would
reccomend for photography? What Im trying to do wouldn't regard that much
image editing, but will need to preview alot of images quickly, select a

few
for resizing and then send via the internet quickly.

I think therefore the need for a properly accurate screen isn't as high as
for the fine art photographers.......but apart from that Im still unclear.
Does one opt for the highest spec available - ie big processor, huge hard
disk etc. or is there some other hardware that will process and work with
photographs better than just more process speed?

An Apple with a big HDD for PS scratch disk, plenty of RAM, Superdrive and
PS CS. Memory is the key thing, and most current Powerbooks have more than
adequate processors for imaging. Superdrive is great for backup to DVD or
CD. Plus, they have IEEE1394 as standard.

(no, i'm not a Mac owner, but if I didn't play games on my PC i'd probably
consider one).

no, and yes...."

Old September 7th 04, 07:12 PM
Martin Francis

"Mr.Will" wrote in message
[...]

Backpack for pro stuff and laptop... Hils 35mm Photo Equipment 1 August 22nd 04 06:12 AM
exif editing Onno Digital Photography 9 July 8th 04 04:36 PM
Notebook computer for photo editing? Tim Green Digital Photography 3 June 24th 04 09:11 PM
Storing photos while on a trip. Without a laptop and on a budget sylvia Digital Photography 1 June 24th 04 01:37 PM