Renumbering sequence of filenames?

Old July 25th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lobster

Default Renumbering sequence of filenames?

l v wrote:
Lobster wrote:
For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos
had incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find
myself with a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again.
What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG. Life's too
short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it? (using Windows XP
Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP
command window - but how?

There is probably something that could be hacked out using dos commands,
but why? Download (free) IrfanView from http://www.irfanview.net/ then
look at it's "Batch conversion/rename" option under the File menu. The
Batch rename feature allows you to set the rename options to start
renaming at whatever number you want choose.

Thanks - will have a look at that!

David
Old July 25th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Lobster wrote:
, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG.

In Perl:

$i = 1433;
for (sort *) {
rename $_ , "IMG_$i.JPG";
$i++;
}

This should rename all files in the current working directory, sorted
alphabetically, into IMG_*.JPG, where * starts with 1433 and is
incremented by 1 for each file.

Perl is freeware and for Windows a popular package is ActiveState Perl.
It can be downloaded from
http://activestate.com/store/downloa...5-08d58c2648ca

jue

Old July 25th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Lobster wrote:
For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG. Life's too
short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it? (using Windows XP Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP command
window - but how?

Thanks
David

You seem to have found the way to fix the problem for future shots.
Basically you take a shot and rename with higher number. Although the
directory info will be all wrong, the camera seems not to care and sorts
things out.
When buying a new camera, if you want to continue the numbering sequence
just insert existing card.
As to why this happened, it will happen if you format (or have an empty
card) and do a reset to defaults. If you need to reset to defaults, make
sure the card contains images.
Dave Cohen
Old July 25th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:21:35 +0100, Lobster wrote:
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:51:53 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:30:45 +0100, Lobster wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.
Curious as to why this makes a real difference to you?

Murphy's Law.
He _will_ , at some point , overwrite an old image with a new image.

Exactly! ;-)

And, to press home the effect of Murphy's Law, the old image
will be Very Important, and the new image will be of his feet. :-)
Old July 25th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

Lobster wrote:
Ofnuts wrote:
Lobster wrote:
For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos
had incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find
myself with a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again.
What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG. Life's
too short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it? (using Windows
XP Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP
command window - but how?

A more obvious choice is to reset your camera to use the right
numbers. It seems it can be done with most Canon:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=423664

Yes, thanks, I've already done that having found the same link (where I
said "I've solved the original problem"!) The current query relates to
a fixed batch of photos.

Very odd that it happened in the first place though... I never altered
my camera settings from "continuous" filenames, and the solution was
moderately fiddly to do. Canon bug maybe?

David

If the batch is fixed then it easier to generate the set of individual
rename commands with some editor in a big .BAT(*), and then apply that
..BAT in every directory where you have stored photos to renumber (the
RENAME commands which apply to missing files will just be ignored).

(*) ie:

ren IMG_0001.JPG IMG_1433.JPG
ren IMG_0002.JPG IMG_1434.JPG
ren IMG_0003.JPG IMG_1435.JPG
ren IMG_0004.JPG IMG_1436.JPG
ren IMG_0005.JPG IMG_1437.JPG
ren IMG_0006.JPG IMG_1438.JPG
ren IMG_0007.JPG IMG_1439.JPG
ren IMG_0008.JPG IMG_1440.JPG
ren IMG_0009.JPG IMG_1441.JPG
ren IMG_0010.JPG IMG_1442.JPG
ren IMG_0011.JPG IMG_1443.JPG
ren IMG_0012.JPG IMG_1444.JPG
ren IMG_0013.JPG IMG_1445.JPG
ren IMG_0014.JPG IMG_1446.JPG

..... etc.

A matter of seconds with an editor which has a decent "column" mode.
Also easy to produce with Excel (export end result as one single column
in CSV).

If you can't, mail me up to where the above sequence should go (highest
rogue picture number) and I'll make it for you (address valid once
you've dropped all the dots except the last one)

--
Bertrand
Old July 26th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Dave Cohen wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

I believe that the rename function of Irfanview can handle this task.
Best yet, the program is free.
Old July 27th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Jim wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 03:20:12 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Dave Cohen wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

Yes that's what i use, its batch function works a treat, i've also
found it a great viewer and can also do most of the manipulating i
need with it.
The net is cluttered by camera generic file names so i rename all my
shots to my own coded filename.

I set my Nikon to put my initials at the beginning of each file instead
of _DSC, another approach would be to set those 3 characters to _000,
then at 10,000 photos, set it to _001, etc over the years.

The only thing that *really* makes sense though is year-mo-day-number
like 2008-07-26_0001.jpg I wish cameras offered that as an option. I've
done that when using tethered remote control software but it's not an
option for regular shooting.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 27th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:

Dave Cohen wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

Jim
www.inghamcam.info

I use Irfanview to insert the camera model into my file-names so that
the pictures from my wife's camera can be distinguished from those from
my camera, which Kodak stupidly named the same. BAD BAD KODAK!

Old July 27th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:

Dave Cohen wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

Even that doesn't solve the naming problem for those of us who have
multiple cameras, not all of which name the files to include the camera
model number so they can be kept separate, even when in the same directory.
Old July 27th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Ron Hunter wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

The only thing that *really* makes sense though is year-mo-day-number
like 2008-07-26_0001.jpg I wish cameras offered that as an option.
I've done that when using tethered remote control software but it's
not an option for regular shooting.

Even that doesn't solve the naming problem for those of us who have
multiple cameras, not all of which name the files to include the camera
model number so they can be kept separate, even when in the same directory.

I guess you do need hours, minutes, seconds then, and 'camera#' if that
was important. I'm getting a second body and considering some sort of
approach like that. I wouldn't want to sort by camera though, just

Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com