New camera - Casio (Exilim 1080/1200) vs. Canon (SD1000)

Old January 25th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default New camera - Casio (Exilim 1080/1200) vs. Canon (SD1000)

---------
My apologies in case my real name and contact details are not
displayed properly. I am posting this using Google Groups and am not
sure whether all my settings work out the way I want them to.
---------

Hey all -

So, I broke my digital camera on Friday, which takes me right back to
where I was about two years ago before I bought it: the decision of
whether to buy a Canon or a Casio. Last time I went for the Casio and
was pretty happy with my Exilim Z-750. I mainly bought it, because I
wanted to be able to manually set aperture and shutter, a feature the
Canon Powershot SD-series did not offer back then, and still doesn't,
if I am not mistaken. Right now, I am trying to decide between the
following models:

Canon PowerShot SD1000
Casio Exilim EX-Z1080
Casio Exilim EX-Z1200 SR

I would again like to be able to manually set aperture and shutter.
According to dPreview that's possible with the Casio models but not
with the Canon one. Going through the Casio manuals, though, I
couldn't really find a section where it explained how those settings
can be done manually. So I am not sure whether the new Casio cameras
still have the same functionality as my Z-750 did. Does anyone know
how to do, for example, time exposure with both the Canon and the
Casios and how they differ in functionality in that regard?

Also, I am a little bummed out about the decreased minimum shutter.
According to dPreview the Casio models only support 4 seconds as
opposed to the 60 seconds of my old Z-750. In this category, I'd
definitely prefer a Canon with at least 15 seconds.

Last but not least, I was wondering whether, in your opinion, the
additional features of the Z1200 justify the higher price and whether
I, should I decide to go for a Casio, should go for the Z1200.

Unfortunately I am in Mexico right now and under somewhat of a time
pressure, so I do not have a chance to personally try out those
models. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate any kind of help and
advice from those folks, who have already used the above mentioned
cameras. Of course, I am also open to suggestions going beyond my
current favorites.

Thanks in advance!

Tim