Avast Caution Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

Old March 25th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
donnie

Default Avast Caution Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet photos:
Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

What is a "suspicious whitespace sequence" in a digital JPEG photograph?
Can I download the usenet photo and "see" the suspicous whitespace
sequence?

Is it really a virus?
If not, what?

donnie
Old March 25th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_2_]

donnie wrote:
I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet
photos: Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious
whitespace sequence

What is a "suspicious whitespace sequence" in a digital JPEG
photograph? Can I download the usenet photo and "see" the suspicous
whitespace sequence?

Is it really a virus?
If not, what?

donnie

Most likely the program is objecting to the HTML (text) content from the
Web server rather than any image content.

David

Old March 25th 07, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
Mr. Arnold

donnie wrote:
I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet photos:
Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

What is a "suspicious whitespace sequence" in a digital JPEG photograph?

Delimiters

Can I download the usenet photo and "see" the suspicous whitespace
sequence?

Yeah with an editor that can read the file and display it in a binary
format.

Is it really a virus?

No

If not, what?

Your friend Google will tell you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=Sea rch
Old March 25th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
Lars-Erik Østerud

donnie wrote:

I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet photos:
Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

Isn't this the security whole in Windows graphics that could make
binary code inside a picture execute on the system if a fault
happened? Maybe that is what it is warning you about?

I have used avast! for several years and NEVER seen that message, so I
would be very careful with those images if I were you. Suspicious...
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
Old March 25th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_2_]

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
donnie wrote:

I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet
photos: Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious
whitespace sequence

Isn't this the security whole in Windows graphics that could make
binary code inside a picture execute on the system if a fault
happened? Maybe that is what it is warning you about?

Good point - many pieces of software may have such faults as they may be
derived from common libraries.

I have used avast! for several years and NEVER seen that message, so I
would be very careful with those images if I were you. Suspicious...

Doesn't "whitespace" suggest the HTML code, though?

David

Old March 25th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:55:15 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

I have used avast! for several years and NEVER seen that message, so I
would be very careful with those images if I were you. Suspicious...

Doesn't "whitespace" suggest the HTML code, though?

It could also suggest a reserved block used for EXIF comments.
Perhaps the EXIF data could be stripped from the photo to see if it
would then get by the Avast security check.

Old March 25th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
Sudee

donnie wrote:
I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet photos:
Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

What is a "suspicious whitespace sequence" in a digital JPEG photograph?
Can I download the usenet photo and "see" the suspicous whitespace
sequence?

Is it really a virus?
If not, what?

donnie

Maybe it's this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitesp...mming_language)

--
Sue

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well
dance.
Unknown
Old March 25th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
Bert Hyman

In donnie
wrote:

What is a "suspicious whitespace sequence" in a digital JPEG photograph?
Can I download the usenet photo and "see" the suspicous whitespace
sequence?

From what I've read the warning is about suspicious spaces in the filename,
not the image.

Some folks send executables with many spaces in the name, in hopes that the
".exe" extension will be missed by the downloader.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old March 26th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital donnie wrote:
I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet photos:
Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

What is a "suspicious whitespace sequence" in a digital JPEG photograph?
Can I download the usenet photo and "see" the suspicous whitespace
sequence?

Is it really a virus?
If not, what?

The problem is the filename ... and that fact that Avast is very cheap.

If you really want good coverage and fast performance, consider NOD32 from
http://www.eset.com

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old March 26th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.freeware
Craig[_2_]

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
In donnie wrote:
I often get the WinXP Avast verbal warning when downloading usenet photos:
Caution: Potential Infection Was Detected: Suspicious whitespace sequence

The problem is ...that Avast is very cheap.

Fatally flawed argument, Thomas. Apache is free as well but your
internet experience depends on it everyday. The cost of Avast is fine
and, if you look at comparative AV tests, so is its effectiveness which,
really, is what matters.

Doesn't it?

If you really want good coverage and fast performance, consider NOD32 from
http://www.eset.com/afinebut$$$ware

Y.a. fine option but, happily, OT for our group.

-Craig