DSLR time lapse

Old December 10th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default DSLR time lapse

This one is pretty simple but fun and satisfying to do.
8.75MB wmv file:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie/video/storm.wmv

Glimpse of a still jpeg:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie

I have done these with a D70 tethered to a laptop before, the D200 has
an interval timer function, 4 seconds seems to work for most clouds,
this is only 15 fps, well Windows Moviemaker turns it into 30fps. I used
VirtualDub.exe freeware to compile the jpegs, Irfanview to quickly batch
them down to 640 wide, CoolEdit to fade the sound out at the end and
free Windows Moviemaker to assemble the bits, refine the timeline & add
titles & credits. About 1,500 frames.

Note, for VirtualDub you need to rename the files in a perfect sequence
(no gaps), I used Adobe Bridge then open the first image and it opens
them as a movie, then be sure to set the frame rate and output
format/codec. The default uncompressed was 170MB without music!

Here's a 14MB time lapse done over a month this past summer in Arizona:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/Southwest/2006-08-AZ-clouds-movie/AZ-2006-edgehill.net_music-kjartan_sveinsson-sidasti_baerinn.mp3.wmv
Old December 10th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

Really neat, thanks for sharing.

I am going to have to give it a try, like my camera does not already
get enough shutter clicks as it is.

Scott

Old December 10th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

Very nicely done! Esp. when I moved it to fill the screen. What res. do
the images inside of WMV files hit? Can one pump this out to a HD tv and
see really high res.? I am sorry I can't even give the equivalent info
for QT files playing out on HD.

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 10th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

John McWilliams wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

This one is pretty simple but fun and satisfying to do.
8.75MB wmv file:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie/video/storm.wmv

...Irfanview to quickly batch them down to 640 wide...

Here's a 14MB time lapse done over a month this past summer in Arizona:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/Southwest/2006-08-AZ-clouds-movie/AZ-2006-edgehill.net_music-kjartan_sveinsson-sidasti_baerinn.mp3.wmv

Very nicely done! Esp. when I moved it to fill the screen. What res. do
the images inside of WMV files hit? Can one pump this out to a HD tv and
see really high res.? I am sorry I can't even give the equivalent info
for QT files playing out on HD.

I did 35mm format 640x428 and Windows MovieMaker stretched or cropped
that to 4/3 TV aspect ratio. Irfanview can batch crop. You can do any
size I think but WMM will crash eventually.

Glad you enjoyed.
Old December 10th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor

Paul Furman wrote:
This one is pretty simple but fun and satisfying to do.
8.75MB wmv file:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie/video/storm.wmv

Glimpse of a still jpeg:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie

Very nice! You obviously have a lot more patience than me!

Cheers,
David

Old December 10th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.penpals.forty-plus-yrs
Helen Edith Stephenson

Default Cloudscapes, and Arizona time-lapse sequences, was:DSLR time lapse

In article , Paul Furman
writes
http://www.edgehill.net/1/California...borhoods/2006-

http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...Francisco/neig
hborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie

I have done these with a D70 tethered to a laptop before, the D200 has
an interval timer function, 4 seconds seems to work for most clouds,
this is only 15 fps, well Windows Moviemaker turns it into 30fps. I used
VirtualDub.exe freeware to compile the jpegs, Irfanview to quickly batch
them down to 640 wide, CoolEdit to fade the sound out at the end and
free Windows Moviemaker to assemble the bits, refine the timeline & add
titles & credits. About 1,500 frames.

Note, for VirtualDub you need to rename the files in a perfect sequence
(no gaps), I used Adobe Bridge then open the first image and it opens
them as a movie, then be sure to set the frame rate and output
format/codec. The default uncompressed was 170MB without music!

Here's a 14MB time lapse done over a month this past summer in Arizona:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/Southwest/...ouds-movie/AZ-
2006-edgehill.net_music-kjartan_sveinsson-sidasti_baerinn.mp3.wmv

These are great! I'm going to cross-post this to another "home" of mine
on Usenet, where there are more people who will enjoy looking at them:-)

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/
Old December 10th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Schmittenhammer

David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
This one is pretty simple but fun and satisfying to do.
8.75MB wmv file:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie/video/storm.wmv

Glimpse of a still jpeg:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-12-08-storm-movie

Very nice! You obviously have a lot more patience than me!

Cheers,
David

Wow, some neat clips!!! I experimented some, your clips really make me
realize how crappy Ohio is, weather wise and scenery.....
Have done some time lapse stuff, with some software called Image
Salsa, searches on the Internet did not turn up very much info a couple
years ago, as far as software. I did some clips of the Christmas party
at home, friends and family got a laugh watching themselves 'shuffle'
high speed across the floor.
Old December 10th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Duncan Chesley

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 02:25:58 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

I have done these with a D70 tethered to a laptop before,

Paul,

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to have to upgrade my
laptop so I can try this with my D70. I hate you. :-)

Cheers,
DuncanC

Old December 10th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
In article , Paul Furman

Here's a 14MB time lapse done over a month this past summer in Arizona:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/Southwest/...ouds-movie/AZ-
2006-edgehill.net_music-kjartan_sveinsson-sidasti_baerinn.mp3.wmv

These are great! I'm going to cross-post this to another "home" of mine
on Usenet, where there are more people who will enjoy looking at them:-)

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk

Nice idea, and I hope setting follow=ups is all right with you.

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 10th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Schmittenhammer

wrote:

I have done these with a D70 tethered to a laptop before,

Paul,

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to have to upgrade my
laptop so I can try this with my D70. I hate you. :-)

Cheers,
DuncanC

How old is your laptop?? Mine is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300, added a
little (ram) memory so I could run XP pro and it works with my D70...
Dave M.