Monopod

Old September 10th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Scott R

Default Monopod

I'd like to take my Yashica-Mat TLR on day hikes, especially this fall
to see if I can get some nice fall foliage photos. I have a few
questions though....

1) I'd like to keep the leather case on the camera for protection from
bumps, scrapes, dust and dirt. The leather case has an opening to allow
me to attach a tripod or monopod, however, the leather is so thick and
tripod screws so short that I have to remove the case first.

2) I'd like to use a dual-purpose stick - a monopod tough enough to be
used as a hiking stick. If one doesn't exist then I'll go with an easy
to carry monopod.

Can you offer suggestions to solve these two problem?

Thanks!

Scott

Old September 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Greg \_\

In article . com,
"Scott R" wrote:

I'd like to take my Yashica-Mat TLR on day hikes, especially this fall
to see if I can get some nice fall foliage photos. I have a few
questions though....

1) I'd like to keep the leather case on the camera for protection from
bumps, scrapes, dust and dirt. The leather case has an opening to allow
me to attach a tripod or monopod, however, the leather is so thick and
tripod screws so short that I have to remove the case first.

2) I'd like to use a dual-purpose stick - a monopod tough enough to be
used as a hiking stick. If one doesn't exist then I'll go with an easy
to carry monopod.

Can you offer suggestions to solve these two problem?

Thanks!

Scott

I have a Bogen 3016 Mono, with a 3025 head I almost never use it because
a tripod is so much better when trying to maximize DOF (Imop of course).
That and because I seldom use small foot print cameras that the mono can
be used with- it gets some use at weddings with the digital during no
flash ceremonies.

But this mono is certainly heavy enough for double duty. I don't recall
the exact price.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old September 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Scott R wrote:

2) I'd like to use a dual-purpose stick - a monopod tough enough to be
used as a hiking stick. If one doesn't exist then I'll go with an easy
to carry monopod.

Can you offer suggestions to solve these two problem?

A colleague and I each have a Gitzo Monotrek. It's the lightest monopod
Gitzo makes, and frankly I cannot recommend it. It is just too flexible.

Go here for Gitzo's alternatives. Any of those to the right of the 'trek'
will work well.

http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric...ghtscreen.php3

Old September 10th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Paul Friday

I've got a Benbo two-section monopod. It's certainly strong enough to be
used to beat your way through the undergrowth.

The alternative is to use a 'string 'pod'. Tie a length of string to a
quarter-inch bolt (that fits the tripod thread). When you want
steadiness, put the bolt in, drop the string, tread on the end and pull
the camera upwards.

--
Paul Friday
Old September 10th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Art

As an aside, maybe 35 years ago, one of the popular photography magazines
did a test of sharpness results comparing tripod use and monopod use.
Monopod was almost as good as a tripod. They were surprised. It was 35mm
work I believe.

ups.com...

Old September 10th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Scott R wrote:
I'd like to take my Yashica-Mat TLR on day hikes, especially this
fall to see if I can get some nice fall foliage photos. I have a few
questions though....

1) I'd like to keep the leather case on the camera for protection
from bumps, scrapes, dust and dirt. The leather case has an opening
to allow me to attach a tripod or monopod, however, the leather is
so thick and tripod screws so short that I have to remove the case
first.

The obvious is to get a longer bolt for the tri/monopod. Less
obviously, you could make the hole longer by screwing a rod coupler
onto a stud (short piece of threaded rod); the tri/monopod would then
screw into the open end of the coupler.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old September 10th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bob Salomon

In article . com,
"Scott R" wrote:

I'd like to take my Yashica-Mat TLR on day hikes, especially this fall
to see if I can get some nice fall foliage photos. I have a few
questions though....

1) I'd like to keep the leather case on the camera for protection from
bumps, scrapes, dust and dirt. The leather case has an opening to allow
me to attach a tripod or monopod, however, the leather is so thick and
tripod screws so short that I have to remove the case first.

2) I'd like to use a dual-purpose stick - a monopod tough enough to be
used as a hiking stick. If one doesn't exist then I'll go with an easy
to carry monopod.

Can you offer suggestions to solve these two problem?

Thanks!

Scott

Novoflex makes a monopod/hiking stick that converts into a very light
weight duopod or a tripod. It is a modified Leki made for Novoflex.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old September 10th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Recently, Scott R posted:

I'd like to take my Yashica-Mat TLR on day hikes, especially this fall
to see if I can get some nice fall foliage photos. I have a few
questions though....

1) I'd like to keep the leather case on the camera for protection from
bumps, scrapes, dust and dirt. The leather case has an opening to
allow me to attach a tripod or monopod, however, the leather is so
thick and tripod screws so short that I have to remove the case first.

2) I'd like to use a dual-purpose stick - a monopod tough enough to be
used as a hiking stick. If one doesn't exist then I'll go with an easy
to carry monopod.

Can you offer suggestions to solve these two problem?

Thanks!

Scott

Well, I'm of two minds about monopods.

As for #1, you may be able to find a monopod with a long enough bolt, or
find another solution, such as getting a case that you don't mind chopping
into and cut a larger section out of the bottom to accommodate the
mounting plate. My monopod has a quick-release plate, and I'd recommend
that feature.

As to #2, most of those I've seen work as a hiking stick. In fact, that's
the best use I've found for mine. As a camera support, I can do about as
well hand-holding and bracing myself against something solid such as a
tree. The monopod removes the vertical dimension of travel, but does
little to reduce other motion. I'm sure that there is some skill involved
in getting good results with a monopod... I just don't have that skill.

Finally, there are tripods that are cheap, almost as lightweight, and with
the legs folded in but not collapsed, almost as useful as a walking stick.
;-)

Neil

Old September 10th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Bob Salomon wrote:

Novoflex makes a monopod/hiking stick that converts into a very light
weight duopod or a tripod. It is a modified Leki made for Novoflex.

Novoflex! I had forgotten about them.
http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/products.htm

Some cool tools there.

Old September 10th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Greg \_\

In article , "j"
wrote:

Bob Salomon wrote:

Novoflex makes a monopod/hiking stick that converts into a very light
weight duopod or a tripod. It is a modified Leki made for Novoflex.

Novoflex! I had forgotten about them.
http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/products.htm

Some cool tools there.

Bad coding. "See cold light source".