Can We Stay On Topic Please

Old July 5th 04, 04:51 PM
Ron

Default Can We Stay On Topic Please

Can We Stay On Topic Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 5th 04, 06:11 PM
Paul H.

"Ron" wrote in message
Can We Stay On Topic Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not a question of staying on topic. What we've been seeing lately is a
group of deliberate spammers, probably high-school students judging from the
lack of sophistication in their posts, who seem to be having a "trolling
contest" among themselves for some sort of bragging rights. Of course, the
number of people who participate in their nonsense represents only the
tiniest fraction of the those who actually read the affected newsgroups, yet
these idiots honestly seem to believe they are fooling the entire world with
their "cleverness." There's scarcely any sight more pathetic than that of a
low-grade moron smirking at others over the former's misplaced faith in his
own intellectual superiorty. Such people don't have the sense to recognize
their own stupidity.

The quality of usenet miscreants has certainly declined over the years. In
the old days, an effective troll would stay on topic, cleverly insinuate
some controversial subject into a discussion thread, then sit back and watch
the fireworks. After the resulting flame-war had produced dozens of angry
exhanges, people would realize they'd been had, start feeling very stupid
for being sucked in, and the thread would abruptly end with several sheepish
messages/apologies. It was very annoying, but it also had the saving grace
of being very clever, too. Not so today, I'm afraid: Latter-day troll
wannabees post messages on rec.photo.digital like "ABORTION IS WRONG AND YOU
WILL GO TO HELL" and while they may even harvest a couple of knee-jerk
newbie responses , their approach is unsubtle, ineffectual, even infantile.

Still, I suppose there exists a low-intellect subset of ninth-graders who
have to occupy themselves in some fashion while they're re-charging for the
next monkey-spanking session. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they
discovered usenet.

Old July 5th 04, 06:21 PM
bagal

Sorry - I consider this to be way off topic

what part of the post relates to digital imagery?

Db

tee hee

0 0
Can We Stay On Topic Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 5th 04, 06:24 PM
Alan D-W

"Ron" wrote in message
Can We Stay On Topic Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do try not to post in HTML, there's a good boy.
It makes you look extremely silly when you consider that even that bloody
**** Preddy posts in plain text.