Which Monopod???

Old July 4th 04, 01:11 AM
PEmpson181

Default Which Monopod???

I was at a car show today and saw a fellow using a monopod. This looked like a
terrific idea to me since the tripod is so cumbersome to carry and use for
random photos. I did an Internet search and came up with dozens and dozens of
them with wide ranging prices. Since I'm just a hobby photographer with a
limited budget I don't want to spend more than necessary. I'd appreciate some
guidance on the best one to get for the money and hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Pat

Old July 4th 04, 02:21 AM
PEmpson181

I'm just an amateur as well, but I invested in a Manfrotto Jr.

Thanks--I think the name of the one the fellow was using started with an M also
and he did say he bought it on E-Bay from Canada but I didn't have anything to
write anything on and then couldn't remember what he said the name was.

Pat

Old July 4th 04, 04:58 AM
wendeebee

"PEmpson181" wrote in message
I was at a car show today and saw a fellow using a monopod. This looked

like a
terrific idea to me since the tripod is so cumbersome to carry and use for
random photos. I did an Internet search and came up with dozens and

dozens of
them with wide ranging prices. Since I'm just a hobby photographer with a
limited budget I don't want to spend more than necessary. I'd appreciate

some
guidance on the best one to get for the money and hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Pat

I'm just an amateur as well, but I invested in a Manfrotto Jr. something,
which wasn't too expensive ($60 or $70 Canadian, I can't find the box and I
don't see it listed anymore where I purchased it), but anything in that
range should be sufficient for a DSLR. If you really want to make it fun
though, invest in a quick-relase ball head. This will probably run you more
$$ than the monopod (I still have the box for this and the price was
$79.95), the model is the 486RC2. I take it everywhere, and the swivel ball
head lets you tilt in every direction and lock. The beauty of the
quick-release is you can just pop it off (not screw it in and out) to switch
to hand held. The head and lock are very strong, and I feel confident
walking around with the DSLR mounted on the monopod (I always leave the
strap loosely around my neck as well).
--
wendeebee
@sympatico

Old July 7th 04, 02:28 PM
BandHPhoto

I was at a car show today and saw a fellow using a monopod

I use the Bogen / Manfrotto 679 (3016) with everything from an 8mm camcorder up
to a motor-driven Nikon + 300mm lens. It's light enough to make carrying easy
and sturdy enough to get the job done.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

monopod Dan-o Photographing Nature 2 June 16th 04 10:48 PM
Looking for a monopod - what kind of head do I choose ? Philippe Lauwers Medium Format Photography Equipment 8 June 12th 04 08:52 AM
Cruise Ships JRF Photographing Nature 15 April 11th 04 03:32 PM
Monopod (tripod) head Steve King Other Photographic Equipment 3 September 30th 03 12:38 AM