shoulder stabilizer?

Old October 17th 05, 08:01 AM
Ron Hardin

Default shoulder stabilizer?

Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
up at the odd camera store one day.

--
Ron Hardin

Old October 17th 05, 08:33 AM
Randy Berbaum

Ron Hardin wrote:
: Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
: on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

: I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
: and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

: You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
: up at the odd camera store one day.

You might try looking under video camera supports. I may have found
something of what you are describing at B&H. Look at the Sima SVP-3 chest
support (B&H # SISVP3). There are lots of video camera chest supports
under Consumer video tripods/stabilizers & Sholder Brackets/Handheld &
Sholder stabilizers. Maybe with a few brand names you could then search
the web for anything that more suits your intended use.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old October 17th 05, 09:23 AM

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:58 GMT, Ron Hardin wrote:

Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
up at the odd camera store one day.

Have a look at monopods.
Old October 17th 05, 11:20 AM
Bob Williams

Ron Hardin wrote:

Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
up at the odd camera store one day.

Check out:
http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm
Lots of different styles and models.
Cool and compact but not cheap.
If you are handy with tools you just might pick up an old 22 rifle or BB
gun at a flea market and salvage the gunstock. Then install a 1/4 X 20
tripod screw at the appropriate spot.
Bob Williams
Old October 17th 05, 11:48 AM
biker2

and then get yourself shot as a suspected terrorist..

Steve

Old October 17th 05, 12:23 PM
Joseph Meehan

Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or
gone, and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
up at the odd camera store one day.

http://www.shortcourses.com/equipmen...ds/4-other.htm

My brother made one as I recall. Not too hard to do and it should be a
custom fit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old October 17th 05, 01:59 PM

biker2 wrote:

and then get yourself shot as a suspected terrorist..

It's basically impossible to mis-identify shoulder-stocked optics for a
firearm, though governments all over the world do it on a regularly
basis anyways. Can't let that information escape "into the wild",
don'tchaknow.

Old October 17th 05, 02:03 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:

I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

Steadicam?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

That's for motion picture stuff though. There is also an article in a
recent Sky&Telescope (last two months) about a passive binocular
stabilizer that is "shoulder mounted".

Old October 17th 05, 03:07 PM
Bob Salomon

Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

Novoflex makes a very good one called a PISTOCK-C

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.