which lenses for PacBell Park (other baseball park)?

Old August 28th 05, 07:18 AM
Father Kodak

Default which lenses for PacBell Park (other baseball park)?

Assuming that you don't have a press pass and you have to sit
somewhere in the stands, what lenses do you use? For example, say you
have seats near one of the corners, not too many rows up into the
stand? or near one of the foul lines?

What kinds of subjects are effective with which lenses (and films or
ISO settings)? Do you use a monopod?

Also, have you been able to carry a monopod into PacBell park without
too much hassle? How about a bag full of lenses?

Father Kodak
Old August 28th 05, 11:10 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Father Kodak wrote:

Also, have you been able to carry a monopod into PacBell park without
too much hassle? How about a bag full of lenses?

Many venues prohibit what they consider "pro" equipment, often using the
physical length of the lens as the factor. I wouldn't count on getting
in with either a monopod or a bag full of lenses.

Having said that, if "PacBell Park" is the same thing as SBC Park
(San Fransisco), while typing this post I looked and found:

Cameras and video equipment are allowed in SBC Park, but the equipment
may not obstruct the view or path of others.

and nothing else, at the MLB site.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 29th 05, 07:36 AM
Father Kodak

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:10:45 -0000, Jeremy Nixon
wrote:

Father Kodak wrote:

Also, have you been able to carry a monopod into PacBell park without
too much hassle? How about a bag full of lenses?

Many venues prohibit what they consider "pro" equipment, often using the
physical length of the lens as the factor. I wouldn't count on getting
in with either a monopod or a bag full of lenses.

Having said that, if "PacBell Park" is the same thing as SBC Park
(San Fransisco), while typing this post I looked and found:

It is, but I refuse to acknowledge it. To me, at least, the park the
Giants used to play in is called "Candlestick Park" because it was
built on Candlestick Point. Now they have sold off the naming rights
and it's been called "3com" park and more recently something else.
Silly, silly, silly.

Cameras and video equipment are allowed in SBC Park, but the equipment
may not obstruct the view or path of others.

Well, of course you don't block anyone else, or you're likely to be
explaining things to a not-amused usher.

I was kind of hoping to hear things like:

You need at least a 500 f4 lens with a fast film (or high ISO on your
digital). And yes, bring a monopod. And if you can afford it, an
image-stabilised lens. (I can't.)

and nothing else, at the MLB site.

Thanks.

Old August 29th 05, 07:53 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Father Kodak wrote:

Cameras and video equipment are allowed in SBC Park, but the equipment
may not obstruct the view or path of others.

Well, of course you don't block anyone else, or you're likely to be
explaining things to a not-amused usher.

Well, the main point being that some other teams and venues specifically
prohibit monopods and lenses over 6 inches, but this one says no such thing.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 31st 05, 05:39 PM
John McWilliams

Father Kodak wrote:
Assuming that you don't have a press pass and you have to sit
somewhere in the stands, what lenses do you use? For example, say you
have seats near one of the corners, not too many rows up into the
stand? or near one of the foul lines?

What kinds of subjects are effective with which lenses (and films or
ISO settings)? Do you use a monopod?

Also, have you been able to carry a monopod into PacBell park without
too much hassle? How about a bag full of lenses?

You need at least a 500 f4 lens with a fast film (or high ISO on your
digital). And yes, bring a monopod. And if you can afford it, an
image-stabilised lens.

Well, you asked to hear this....

--
John McWilliams
Old August 31st 05, 06:09 PM
Frank ess

John McWilliams wrote:
Father Kodak wrote:
Assuming that you don't have a press pass and you have to sit
somewhere in the stands, what lenses do you use? For example, say
you have seats near one of the corners, not too many rows up into
the
stand? or near one of the foul lines?

What kinds of subjects are effective with which lenses (and films
or
ISO settings)? Do you use a monopod?

Also, have you been able to carry a monopod into PacBell park
without
too much hassle? How about a bag full of lenses?

You need at least a 500 f4 lens with a fast film (or high ISO on
your
digital). And yes, bring a monopod. And if you can afford it, an
image-stabilised lens.

Well, you asked to hear this....

In some stadia you will not be admitted to the grandstand with much
more than a pointer-shooter camera, if anything more.

--
Frank ess

Old September 1st 05, 05:48 AM
Father Kodak

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:39:43 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote:

Father Kodak wrote:
Assuming that you don't have a press pass and you have to sit
somewhere in the stands, what lenses do you use? For example, say you
have seats near one of the corners, not too many rows up into the
stand? or near one of the foul lines?

What kinds of subjects are effective with which lenses (and films or
ISO settings)? Do you use a monopod?

Also, have you been able to carry a monopod into PacBell park without
too much hassle? How about a bag full of lenses?

You need at least a 500 f4 lens with a fast film (or high ISO on your
digital). And yes, bring a monopod. And if you can afford it, an
image-stabilised lens.

Well, I do have a Nikon 500 mm lens, but it is an f8 mirror, and of
course not stabilized. So I guess I'll need the monopod

Well, you asked to hear this....

Yes I did. In the past, I have shot in PacBell Park and in Candlestick
with say a 105 or 200 mm lens, and the pictures were, shall we say,
not worth it.

Old September 1st 05, 07:04 AM
John McWilliams

Father Kodak wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:39:43 -0700, John McWilliams

Well, you asked to hear this....

Yes I did. In the past, I have shot in PacBell Park and in Candlestick
with say a 105 or 200 mm lens, and the pictures were, shall we say,
not worth it.

Forgot to mention: I always called it Candlestick, or the Stick, and
always will. Feel less strongly about SBC park/Pacbell park, but perhaps
that's cause the Giants are not having a terribly decent year. (trying
to avoid saying they suck.)

--
John McWilliams
Old September 1st 05, 06:10 PM
The Dave©

"John McWilliams" wrote
Forgot to mention: I always called it Candlestick, or the Stick, and
always will. Feel less strongly about SBC park/Pacbell park, but perhaps
that's cause the Giants are not having a terribly decent year. (trying
to avoid saying they suck.)

PacBell/SBC has always had a corporate name from Day One, so it's not like
there's any other to go by.

And, yes, the Giants suck this year.

Old September 3rd 05, 06:54 AM
Father Kodak

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:10:15 -0500, "The Dave©" wrote:

"John McWilliams" wrote
Forgot to mention: I always called it Candlestick, or the Stick, and
always will. Feel less strongly about SBC park/Pacbell park, but perhaps
that's cause the Giants are not having a terribly decent year. (trying
to avoid saying they suck.)

PacBell/SBC has always had a corporate name from Day One, so it's not like
there's any other to go by.

And, yes, the Giants suck this year.

Bring back Dusty Baker and Will Clark!!

and Robby Thompson.