Problem with C41 development

Old April 26th 05, 09:22 PM
John Holt

Default Problem with C41 development

Been out of doing darkroom work for about a decade, and am now getting
back into it.

Tried to develop some Portra 400UC 120 roll film yesterday using
Paterson Photocolor II developer and Paterson Universal Bleach-Fix.
This is the first time that I've tried to use this chemistry.

Development completely failed. Not even the frame numbers were visible.

I believe that I followed the directions. My dilutions were 1 part
concentrate to 2 parts water; processed at 97 F for 4 minutes
(developer) and 4 minutes BLIX.

The developer bottle was unopened, but was marked "Best use before Feb
2005. The BLIX was unopened and marked June 2006.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
John Holt

Old April 26th 05, 11:10 PM
Justin Thyme

"John Holt" wrote in message
Been out of doing darkroom work for about a decade, and am now getting
back into it.

Tried to develop some Portra 400UC 120 roll film yesterday using Paterson
Photocolor II developer and Paterson Universal Bleach-Fix. This is the
first time that I've tried to use this chemistry.

Development completely failed. Not even the frame numbers were visible.

I believe that I followed the directions. My dilutions were 1 part
concentrate to 2 parts water; processed at 97 F for 4 minutes (developer)
and 4 minutes BLIX.

The developer bottle was unopened, but was marked "Best use before Feb
2005. The BLIX was unopened and marked June 2006.

I had exactly the same problem with Paterson Photocolor. The first roll I
used the kit on produced very faint negatives that I was able to scan but
with terrible colouring and contrast - they looked about 50 years old. The
second roll I put through the chem had nothing at all, not even edge
markings. It was then I noticed that the chemicals had expired. There was a
sticker that had an expiry date of late '04, but underneath that was a
sticker with an expiry date of early '02. I contacted the supplier, who
checked their stock and found that all of their photocolor ii stock was
expired, and it all had this sticker over sticker for the expiry date. They
sent me an agfa kit for free to replace it, and I didn't have any hassles
whatsoever.
At the same time, I also bought a Paterson E6 kit - it has worked perfectly.

Old April 28th 05, 03:56 AM
Francis A. Miniter

John Holt wrote:
Been out of doing darkroom work for about a decade, and am now getting
back into it.

Tried to develop some Portra 400UC 120 roll film yesterday using
Paterson Photocolor II developer and Paterson Universal Bleach-Fix.
This is the first time that I've tried to use this chemistry.

Development completely failed. Not even the frame numbers were visible.

I believe that I followed the directions. My dilutions were 1 part
concentrate to 2 parts water; processed at 97 F for 4 minutes
(developer) and 4 minutes BLIX.

The developer bottle was unopened, but was marked "Best use before Feb
2005. The BLIX was unopened and marked June 2006.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi John,

I think that the Blix is not to blame. It lasts nearly forever. The lack of
printing even of the numbers signifies a total lack of development. The
developer probably had gone bad. What color was the liquid when you opened the
bottle?

To ensure fresh developer I make my own on a regular basis. I use the
formulations posted in this Newsgroup by Bill Laut some years ago, and reposted
by me on occasion. Search on C-41 and either his name or mine and you will find
the formulas. It also saves a lot of money, as I used to find the cost of the
kits to be excessive.

Francis A. Miniter