Which monopod?

Old February 24th 05, 09:49 PM
Jim Waggener

Default Which monopod?

"Richard" wrote in message
Looking to buy a monopod for taking sports pictures. I would like
something with very good portability but good stability and ease of
use. What do you guys recommend?

I'm pretty happy with my Manfrotto 676B...light, solid, adjustable, and
stable.

Jim

Old February 24th 05, 09:58 PM
[BnH]

Look at what's Gitzo offering.

=bob=

Old February 24th 05, 10:06 PM
PTravel

"Richard" wrote in message
Looking to buy a monopod for taking sports pictures. I would like
something with very good portability but good stability and ease of
use. What do you guys recommend?

Adorama has what I consider to be the ideal monopod.

Old February 25th 05, 12:20 AM
Steve Cutchen

In article , Richard
wrote:

Looking to buy a monopod for taking sports pictures. I would like
something with very good portability but good stability and ease of
use. What do you guys recommend?

I like the Velbon UP 4DX II because of the shoulder strap rather than
wrist strap, and the quick release head. Weighs a bit more at 1.5 lb.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...kw=VEUP4DX2&is
=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=141696

or

http://tinyurl.com/4j6gm
Old February 25th 05, 02:01 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that Richard stated that:

Looking to buy a monopod for taking sports pictures. I would like
something with very good portability but good stability and ease of
use. What do you guys recommend?

I'm currently using Manfrotto 680B, with a #222 pistol-grip ballhead.
Only problem with this pod is that the clips make it slow to extend or
retract, so it takes too long to change height, & is very cumbersome to
carry through event crowds with a camera attached. Other than that, it's
a great combination, so I'm thinking of upgrading to the version that
uses a pistol-grip to extend/retract.

Old February 25th 05, 03:03 AM
Frank ess

PTravel wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
Looking to buy a monopod for taking sports pictures. I would like
something with very good portability but good stability and ease of
use. What do you guys recommend?

Adorama has what I consider to be the ideal monopod.

Is that the five-section Manfrotto (?) knock-off at reduced price? About
$90US if I recall correctly. Small and slick to handle. Mini-ball head
completes the ensemble?

--
Frank ess

Old February 25th 05, 04:39 AM
PTravel

That's the one. The head isn't included (I pulled one off an old
mini-tripod which works just great).

Old February 26th 05, 05:34 AM
Stewy

Richard wrote:

Looking to buy a monopod for taking sports pictures. I would like
something with very good portability but good stability and ease of
use. What do you guys recommend?

Could try the Velbon P-Max - not a monopod but very light with quick
release 'twist and lock' legs and a multi use pan-tilt head.

As an alternative, take a look at the Strap Pod at kirkphoto.com