MF Scanners - Nikon Coolscan 9000 v Minolta Scan Multi Pro?

Old May 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Rod

Default MF Scanners - Nikon Coolscan 9000 v Minolta Scan Multi Pro?

Any opinions please? Not a lot to choose in price in the UK. Minolta
is less than half the weight of Nikon - is that any indication of
build quality? Otherwise on paper they both look more than OK for my
purposes. (I have a Coolscan 4000 and I've been happy with that).
TIA

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old May 8th 04, 11:25 PM
Bill Hilton

From: Rod

Any opinions please?

This site has a lot of info on the 8000 and the Multi-Pro, including good
sample scans of the same files ...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN1.HTM
.... I didn't see the 9000 on it but it's an incremental upgrade from the 8000.

For some reason this topic used to generate a lot of angry NG posts filled with
strong opinions as both scanners have a lot of good things going for them but
also a few warts. Be sure to read the user comments on the web site mentioned
above to see all sides of the issues.

I've got the Nikon 8000 myself and like it, FWIW.

Bill
Old May 9th 04, 06:44 AM
JR

I am looking into those scanners as well. I rented the Minolta to use
on some of my 6x7 slides and the results were amazing. Inever used 4800
dpi reolution, it was WAY overkill. I scanned at 3200. I am partial to
Minolta because I use the 5400 for my 35mm scans. So software is
identical. In fact I plugged in the Scan Multi Pro and the software
automatically recognized it and I was off. The scans were amazing.
Very rich and detailed. Prints of the scans at 11x14 are awesome. i am
sure the Nikon is just as good. Between the 2 I would go with what
works best with the types of film ou are using. I have read some
negative things about the Minolta with negatives, while it excels with
positives. So for me that will work because I shoot slides film almost
exclusively.

JR
Old May 9th 04, 11:15 PM
Camera

I am using the Minolta for a few years. It is good. I also used Nikon (not
9000) for a few years. I like Nikon's user interface. It is a lot user
friendly. In terms of quality, I like Nikon more than Minolta. It doesn't
mean Minolta is no good. It is because I bought the Nikon later than
Minolta and the technology of course should be better than the Minolta.

"JR" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...