D70 pixel mapping

Old January 19th 05, 04:07 PM
Joe

Default D70 pixel mapping

Hello,

I know that there is a utility on the web that maps out dead/stuck sensor
pixels on the coolpix 250 - does anyone know of a similar utility for the
D70? ,an exhaustive google search has failed to uncover one.

Many thanks.

Old January 19th 05, 07:42 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Joe says...

No, I don't think that's what I'm after - I want a utility to map out dead
pixels and interpolate them from adjacent ones, does software like that
exist? (outside Nikon, who charge big bucks to run a 1 minute scan)

If you need Pixel Mapping, sell your D70 and buy an E300.

Why can't all manufacturers follow Olympus and include pixel mapping as a
menu item!?

I don't know. I have this theory that camera manufacturers are
intrisically sadistic and enjoy to see their customers suffer.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 19th 05, 08:30 PM
Joe

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Joe says...

No, I don't think that's what I'm after - I want a utility to map out
dead
pixels and interpolate them from adjacent ones, does software like that
exist? (outside Nikon, who charge big bucks to run a 1 minute scan)

If you need Pixel Mapping, sell your D70 and buy an E300.

Why can't all manufacturers follow Olympus and include pixel mapping as a
menu item!?

I don't know. I have this theory that camera manufacturers are
intrisically sadistic and enjoy to see their customers suffer.
-

As yet, I haven't bought either one.

I can get an E1 with 14-54mm for £699 (by dragging a student by it's
unwashed hair to Jessops) or I could go for the 300 kit @ £650, or the Nikon
D70 18-70mm @ £750 - so all much the same price.

I'm very tempted by the Nikon because of the superior image quality at
higher speeds, but I'm aware that all sensors develop bad pixels, and would
like to find a way of dealing with them that doesn't involve sending the
camera back to Nikon.

The E1 & E300 solve this problem, of course, but one then has to live with
either an aging 5mp camera that can't really shoot above ISO400 (certainly
not ISO800) or a glorified E300 P&S that will probably turn out to have even
more noise than the E1 due to the higher pixel count

It could well be that the next Exx model will provide higher pixels and
lower noise in a 'pro' body - but that's academic because I would never be
permitted to spend the £1700, or whatever it first retails for.

So the choice is stark - bad pixels (almost certainly in the future,
probably the day after the warranty expires) and clean high ISO images, or
mediocre Olympus images (in comparison to the D70) but a self-healing image
sensor that will save time and/or money in the future.

That's why I was desperately hoping that someone had come up with a third
party pixel fix for the D70 sensor......what do other D70 owners do? - I've
read several reports of stuck pixels in Nikon sensors, and if the warranty
has run out Nikon seem to want a couple of hundred dollars/pounds to do the
sort of re-mapping that Olympus owners just take for granted.

Do Nikon/Pentax/Canon (cmos, I know) owners just live with their stuck
pixels and wade through Photoshop to fix every image? - or am I just being
far too sensitive about the who thing?

Old January 19th 05, 09:38 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Joe says...

I can get an E1 with 14-54mm for =A3699 (by dragging a student by it's=20
unwashed hair to Jessops) or I could go for the 300 kit @ =A3650, or the =

Nikon=20
D70 18-70mm @ =A3750 - so all much the same price.
=20
I'm very tempted by the Nikon because of the superior image quality at=20
higher speeds, but I'm aware that all sensors develop bad pixels, and wou=

ld=20
like to find a way of dealing with them that doesn't involve sending the=

=20
camera back to Nikon.
=20
The E1 & E300 solve this problem, of course, but one then has to live wit=

h=20
either an aging 5mp camera that can't really shoot above ISO400 (certainl=

y=20
not ISO800) or a glorified E300 P&S that will probably turn out to have e=

ven=20
more noise than the E1 due to the higher pixel count
=20
It could well be that the next Exx model will provide higher pixels and=

=20
lower noise in a 'pro' body - but that's academic because I would never b=

e=20
permitted to spend the =A31700, or whatever it first retails for.
=20
So the choice is stark - bad pixels (almost certainly in the future,=20
probably the day after the warranty expires) and clean high ISO images, o=

r=20
mediocre Olympus images (in comparison to the D70) but a self-healing ima=

ge=20
sensor that will save time and/or money in the future.
=20
That's why I was desperately hoping that someone had come up with a third=

=20
party pixel fix for the D70 sensor......what do other D70 owners do? - I'=

ve=20
read several reports of stuck pixels in Nikon sensors, and if the warrant=

y=20
has run out Nikon seem to want a couple of hundred dollars/pounds to do t=

he=20
sort of re-mapping that Olympus owners just take for granted.
=20
Do Nikon/Pentax/Canon (cmos, I know) owners just live with their stuck=20
pixels and wade through Photoshop to fix every image? - or am I just bein=

g=20
far too sensitive about the who thing?

Well, I keep hearing this high ISO stuff all the time. But do you really=20
need to shoot above ISO 400? 99% of the photos I take (with an Olympus=20
8080) are at ISO 50 (and I even use a polariser which again takes away=20
one or two stops of light).
--=20

Alfred Molon
Old January 19th 05, 11:30 PM
Crownfield

Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Joe says...

[...]

so you do not take many candids of fast moving children
by available light in shade or even inside?

--

Alfred Molon

Old January 20th 05, 02:44 AM
Stacey

Joe wrote:

or a glorified E300 P&S that will probably turn out to have
even more noise than the E1 due to the higher pixel count

Wrong assumption.

or
mediocre Olympus images (in comparison to the D70) but a self-healing
image sensor that will save time and/or money in the future.

Mediocre? Do you shoot everything at ISO800+? If so the images will be
"mediocre" even to the same nikon camera at ISO100-200.

Just an FYI I made prints from a 10D, D70 and an E300 and after viewing the
results I didn't buy the canon or the nikon.

--

Stacey
Old January 20th 05, 02:45 AM
Stacey

Crownfield wrote:

so you do not take many candids of fast moving children
by available light in shade or even inside?

When did anyone need ISO 800 for shooting in the shade?

--

Stacey
Old January 20th 05, 03:04 AM
Crownfield

Stacey wrote:

Crownfield wrote:

so you do not take many candids of fast moving children
by available light in shade or even inside?

When did anyone need ISO 800 for shooting in the shade?

how about in the restaraunt by candlelight at the table?
ASA 1600, 2.8, down as low as 1/20 of a second.

or family at the beach, in the shade of a tree:
asa 200, 1/90, 4.8 150mm.
not enough speed for depth of field and shutter speed.

--

Stacey

Old January 20th 05, 06:33 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , Crownfield says...

so you do not take many candids of fast moving children
by available light in shade or even inside?

Sometimes.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 20th 05, 08:03 AM
Stacey

Crownfield wrote:

Stacey wrote:

Crownfield wrote:

so you do not take many candids of fast moving children
by available light in shade or even inside?

When did anyone need ISO 800 for shooting in the shade?

how about in the restaraunt by candlelight at the table?
ASA 1600, 2.8, down as low as 1/20 of a second.

And that's in the shade of what?

or family at the beach, in the shade of a tree:
asa 200, 1/90, 4.8 150mm.
not enough speed for depth of field and shutter speed.

Again who needs ISO 800+ for shooting in the SHADE?
--

Stacey