Fuji S2 Pro Failures

Old November 28th 04, 01:19 AM
Sabineellen

I think fuji should fix it.
Old November 28th 04, 01:24 AM
JohnR

If all this is true, Fuji should repair the defect since it is common. I
could understand if the cameras were a lower price model or over 5 years
old. Fuji should make a PR move and help those customers with this defect.
Word travels fast on the Internet and Fuji could loose a lot of customers.
John

"Pixmaker" wrote in message
news
There seems to be a serious problem developing with Fujifilm S2 Pro
digital cameras having certain serial numbers. After about 12 months
of service (and it doesn't seem to matter much how heavily the camera
is used) something fails in the camera processor.

The repair has been quoted in excess of $1,000.

The failure has been called the "black screen" by technicians at the
Fuji repair station in Edison, N.J. and it appears to be common enough
that they're quite familiar with it. I was told, "there's a failure
in the chip. We'll have to replace it."

This failure blacks out the LCD screen on the back of the camera and
prevents the storage of any data following each exposure. As far as
using the camera is concerned, the failure is, indeed, catastrophic.
The camera is useless although the autofocus, shutter operation and
other systems seem to work normally.

This is a near-$2,000 camera and many of these failures have ocurred
after about 13 months of use. Of course, the warranty is 12 months and
Fuji seems reluctant to extend the warranty.

It appears to me that a company selling product at this price and
having what seems to be a growing pattern of known failures might be
obligated to correct the problem.

Not wanting to pay over $1,000 to repair my camera, I urge those Fuji
S2 Pro users who have this problem to enter their experience into a
database started in another forum. Perhaps enough failures will induce
Fuji to correct the problem under warranty.

You may reach the database through the following URL:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11152251

Please join the database if you have a defective S2 Pro.

Thanks,

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

Old November 28th 04, 01:47 AM
Howard McCollister

"JohnR" wrote in message
If all this is true, Fuji should repair the defect since it is common. I
could understand if the cameras were a lower price model or over 5 years
old. Fuji should make a PR move and help those customers with this defect.
Word travels fast on the Internet and Fuji could loose a lot of customers.
John

Judging by posts on the FujiSLR forum of DP Review, Fuji *is* fixing them
out of warranty.

HMc

Old November 28th 04, 02:35 AM
Gene Palmiter

Seems that they would have to. They have the S3 coming out soon and would
rather talk about that then discuss problems with the last model. I cannot
imagine a pro buying a Fuji without checking the internet first. Someone
might buy a Canon or Nikon on rep...but a Fuji needs to be sold. If all you
read is that their cameras die after the warranty expires...well...I
wouldn't buy one. So...they either fix the S2....trade up to the S3...or get
out of the pro camera business.