Tripod advice requested

Old November 21st 04, 03:57 PM
jmc

Default Tripod advice requested

I'm not happy with my current (dirt cheap) tripod (physically it's
fine, but the platform doesn't sit level), and looking for a new one.
I know nothing, really about tripods.

I don't use one much, so I don't want to spend big bucks. It needs to
be something that works equally well with my digital camera (Nikon
Coolpix 8700) as well as my Sony Handicam (DCR-HC20).

At this point, I'm looking for suggestions both on decent brand names
in general, and on specific models.

Things I prefer:
Folds up small
Lightweight to carry
Not too expensive
has a level
fluid head nice, but not required

Any suggestions appreciated!
jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.
Old November 21st 04, 05:05 PM
YAG-ART

Bogen and Gitzo

Old November 21st 04, 05:19 PM
Cliff Smith

wrote:

I'm not happy with my current (dirt cheap) tripod (physically it's
fine, but the platform doesn't sit level), and looking for a new one.
I know nothing, really about tripods.

I don't use one much, so I don't want to spend big bucks. It needs to
be something that works equally well with my digital camera (Nikon
Coolpix 8700) as well as my Sony Handicam (DCR-HC20).

At this point, I'm looking for suggestions both on decent brand names
in general, and on specific models.

Things I prefer:
Folds up small
Lightweight to carry
Not too expensive
has a level
fluid head nice, but not required

Any suggestions appreciated!
jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

If small size and light weight is a priority, I'd suggest the Manfrotto
714SHB. It's easily the best compact tripod I've ever used, and its
bal&sicket head has no problem with my Pentax Ist-D and a 300mm lens.

Old November 21st 04, 05:47 PM
grenner

Slik U212 around $100. I have been using the same one for 20 years. Not
the quality of a Bogen but it has held up to a lot of use over 20 years.

Greg

Old November 21st 04, 06:16 PM
Tony

Mine was never very stable and the leg locks started to die after about a
year. It was no less expensive than the Bogen 300 I replaced it with -
which has been operating jes'fine for 4 years now.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old November 22nd 04, 02:21 AM
Gary Hendricks

Hi

I like tripods from Sony, Velbon, Cartoni and Slik.

Some good models include:
Sony VCT-D650RM Tripod
Slik ABLE 300DX Tripod
Velbon Ultra MAXi S Tripod