Nikon SB-600

Old May 9th 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nikon SB-600

In article , Alan Browne

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

Did you try the flash test button?

You can briefly short the centre pin on the flash to the ground - that
may prove that at least the flash works. Pro tip: don't look at the
flash when you do this.

Whenever anything that uses cell batteries doesn't function, clean all
the contacts with an abrasive. Make sure all the dust is recovered
(vaccuum is best). (This means the battery compartment and the
batteries).

Connectors (flash shoe on camera and counterpart on flash, etc) should
likewise get the treatment.

Abrasives can be emery cloth, fine sandpaper, Scotchbrite. Don't use
metal abrasives like steel wool. You may need to be creative to get
into nooks and crannies.

nikon did all of that (and more) and said the flash is working properly.

the problem is not the flash.

Allegedly.

there's no reason why nikon would lie about what they did.

Not saying anyone lied.

you said allegedly.

nikon stated they cleaned and tested the flash.

there is no reason to doubt that.

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

Doesn't rule out the flash (or camera) show contacts needing a cleaning.

according to nikon, the flash contacts are fine.
Old May 10th 21, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 9, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Alan Browne

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

It’s unlikely, but the flash could have an intermittent issue. But if, as
someone else suggested, the flash works every time you press the test button,
it’s gotta be something with the camera, maybe an inadvertent settings
change, or its contacts.

Old May 10th 21, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

It¹s unlikely, but the flash could have an intermittent issue. But if, as
someone else suggested, the flash works every time you press the test button,
it¹s gotta be something with the camera, maybe an inadvertent settings
change, or its contacts.

that is one of the remaining two possibilities.
Old May 10th 21, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 9, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

It¹s unlikely, but the flash could have an intermittent issue. But if, as
someone else suggested, the flash works every time you press the test
button,
it¹s gotta be something with the camera, maybe an inadvertent settings
change, or its contacts.

that is one of the remaining two possibilities.

Yeah, I’m aware of the other one.

Old May 10th 21, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 9 May 2021 11:47:20 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Yep. No go.

You can briefly short the centre pin on the flash to the ground - that
may prove that at least the flash works. Pro tip: don't look at the
flash when you do this.

Already done

Whenever anything that uses cell batteries doesn't function, clean all
the contacts with an abrasive. Make sure all the dust is recovered
(vaccuum is best). (This means the battery compartment and the batteries).

Connectors (flash shoe on camera and counterpart on flash, etc) should
likewise get the treatment.

Haven't done that. I will give it a go.

Old May 10th 21, 11:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus

On 2021-05-09, Eric Stevens wrote:
A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

They are so cheap on the second hand market (which is the only market for them
now) that you might as well go to mpb.com and get a replacement with guarantee.

that won't fix the problem.
Old May 11th 21, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 09 May 2021 17:16:03 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

Tubes may not be available in which case I am going to have to replace
it. There are plenty of low priced used SB-600s on the market but are
they worth buying. I am interested to note that, inspite of them not
having been made since 2010, an outfit in Japan claims to have 5 of
them - at US$900 each. Not fo me I am afraid.

Eric Stevens
Old May 11th 21, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

you didn't test the flash prior to attaching it to the camera?
Old May 11th 21, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old May 12th 21, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 12, 2021, Incubus wrote
(in article ):

On 2021-05-11, Alfred wrote:
Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).

That surprised me too. Excellent ones are available on mpb.com for £64. It's
surely more expensive to get it looked at than to just get another.

Agreed! I have a 17 year old SB-800, but the my system that gets the most use is my Godox V350F and the Godox X1T-F TTL wireless flash trigger.
http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_V350F.html

Savageduck