My three biggest camera mistakes

Old May 6th 14, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Black[_2_]

Default My three biggest camera mistakes

On Sun, 4 May 2014, RichA wrote:

-Selling off my Olympus cameras and lens collection in 2001 because
"digital" was taking over. Then watching the price of old OM lenses
skyrocket as Canon FF users snapped them up.

-Dumping my Pentax(s) and
lens collection because I went to the Nikon D300, only (literally, 2
weeks later) to watch as Pentax discontinued their 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm
f/1.4 and their prices tripled, even at dealers who had left-over stock.

-Not buying a Nikon 300mm f/3.5 (older pro lens) for $700 I wanted to
use with an Olympus, only to come back the next day to buy it and
finding out one of the salespeople in store dropped it, chipping a huge
piece off the front lens!

The other side would be that you kept them and saw prices drop, never to

Sicne most "neat things" I buy are used or pulled from the garbage, I
never suffer that sort of thing. Their price will stay constant, since I
bought way below the original price.

But the few times I've bought relatively new, their value really only
remains with me. If I sell that computer, I will get a pittance for it,
yet to replace it (as a collector's item or just as a commodity computer)
will cost a lot more. Some people can't stand having "junk" around, but
if you have any possible use for something in the future, once bought new
you likely are better off keeping it.

Michael