Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?

Old April 7th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?

In article , ray carter
wrote:

As I understand it, most all the open source software is based on dcraw -
so they're going to have similar capabilities with different interfaces
and some extensions.

and with similar limitations.

In the past, I've found dcraw useful to get a quick look at things by
extracting the jpeg thumbnail (dcraw -e).

once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.
Old April 7th 14, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

nospam wrote:

In article , ray carter
wrote:

As I understand it, most all the open source software is based on dcraw -
so they're going to have similar capabilities with different interfaces
and some extensions.

and with similar limitations.

what limitations are these?

In the past, I've found dcraw useful to get a quick look at things by
extracting the jpeg thumbnail (dcraw -e).

once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

So how does quick look know which file you would like to see?

--
sid
Old April 7th 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

sid wrote:
nospam wrote:

In article , ray carter
wrote:

As I understand it, most all the open source software is based on dcraw -
so they're going to have similar capabilities with different interfaces
and some extensions.

and with similar limitations.

what limitations are these?

None of course. Which OS is used makes no difference
for interpolation of raw sensor data to an image.

We all know that. But nospam just wants an argument...

In the past, I've found dcraw useful to get a quick look at things by
extracting the jpeg thumbnail (dcraw -e).

once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

So how does quick look know which file you would like to see?

And if "take a quick look at things" doesn't mean
literally just viewing, but involves something else. It
could be for generation of an histogram or any other
kind of data analysis, which in fact requires the image
file rather than a visual display of the image.

DCRAW is commonly used for comparisons between camera
models to provide essentially the same processing to
disparate raw sensor data provided by different camera
models and even across manufacturers.

For those like nospam who cannot envision any use not
provided by someone else for him, there is no need for
programs like DCRAW. For those who work out of that box
DCRAW is a very useful tool.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 7th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

As I understand it, most all the open source software is based on dcraw -
so they're going to have similar capabilities with different interfaces
and some extensions.

and with similar limitations.

what limitations are these?

None of course. Which OS is used makes no difference
for interpolation of raw sensor data to an image.

nonsense. *everything* has limitations, even dcraw.

We all know that. But nospam just wants an argument...

also wrong.

you, however, cannot admit you're wrong and will argue forever.

In the past, I've found dcraw useful to get a quick look at things by
extracting the jpeg thumbnail (dcraw -e).

once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

So how does quick look know which file you would like to see?

And if "take a quick look at things" doesn't mean
literally just viewing, but involves something else. It
could be for generation of an histogram or any other
kind of data analysis, which in fact requires the image
file rather than a visual display of the image.

that's more than a quick look and you once again are talking out your
ass.

quick look requires the file (how could it not?) and can easily show a
histogram or anything else based on the contents of the file. there's
not much demand for that so it's not a standard feature but it would be
trivial to write a plug-in to implement it, if the user wanted to.

DCRAW is commonly used for comparisons between camera
models to provide essentially the same processing to
disparate raw sensor data provided by different camera
models and even across manufacturers.

not as common as adobe camera raw, which is what is almost always used
for comparisons and what dpreview has standardized on for many, many
years.

For those like nospam who cannot envision any use not
provided by someone else for him, there is no need for
programs like DCRAW. For those who work out of that box
DCRAW is a very useful tool.

why would i have a use for dcraw when i have a raw converter that does
a better job and in less time?

the problem is you can't see beyond dcraw. that's all you know.
Old April 7th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , sid
wrote:

As I understand it, most all the open source software is based on dcraw -
so they're going to have similar capabilities with different interfaces
and some extensions.

and with similar limitations.

what limitations are these?

everything has limitations and dcraw is no different. among its
limitations are it's speed, quality and supported cameras, as well as
its user interface.

In the past, I've found dcraw useful to get a quick look at things by
extracting the jpeg thumbnail (dcraw -e).

once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

So how does quick look know which file you would like to see?

the ones you have selected. obviously.
Old April 7th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 10:49:34 -0400, nospam wrote:

-
so they're going to have similar capabilities with different interfaces
and some extensions.

and with similar limitations.

In the past, I've found dcraw useful to get a quick look at things by
extracting the jpeg thumbnail (dcraw -e).

once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

I don't believe the OP mentioned having a MAC.
Old April 7th 14, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.04.06, 19:11 , Bob wrote:

I don't use Linux. Though I find it a sorry excuse for
an OS, I use Windows every day.

Linux is a great OS - but not for "desktop" though that community
desperately tries to make it so.

The market for desktop users of Linux is less than 2% [1] of the overall
desktop based on web stats. Linux finds its strength in servers,
databases, transaction systems, super computers, embedded and other "out
of view" systems - and does very well there.

It's not surprising that Adobe avoid the Linux market - there isn't one
worth addressing.

(By 'desktop' I include laptops running conventional OS';
ie: excluding iOS, Android, Chrome (the OS), etc).

Windows is a horrible OS (tragically flawed), but its dominance (a
blessing by way of a series of unfortunate events) makes it the defacto
OS for most offices and homes.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_...o p_computers

--
"Big data can reduce anything to a single number,
but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude."

Old April 7th 14, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.04.06, 19:11 , Bob wrote:

I came into this thread when I saw a number of people
acting like they couldn't stand that someone might try
Gimp -- also making elitist statements about how Gimp
couldn't possibly be useful. Most have backed off those
silly claims now, and we're now in the face-saving mode.

You came in ignoring that I gave the OP advice concerning his case and
latched on to my last sentence. A sentence I will always use when the
subject of the Gimp comes up wrt to serious workflow (which raw usage
implies) and I certainly make no apology for it - never mind "saving face".

Old April 7th 14, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.04.07, 00:31 , Jeffery Small wrote:
Floyd:

Thanks again for all of the very helpful information. I'll keep working
with UFRaw until I master its capabilities!

Did you get the raws from the Sony to import correctly in UFRaw/Gimp?

Old April 7th 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeffery Small

Alan Browne writes:

On 2014.04.07, 00:31 , Jeffery Small wrote:
Floyd:

Thanks again for all of the very helpful information. I'll keep workin=

with UFRaw until I master its capabilities!

Did you get the raws from the Sony to import correctly in UFRaw/Gimp?

No. There appears to be some problem with the 0.19.2 build on my system.
When I get a free slot, I will try to build a later version which people are
reporting does seem to work.

Jeff