DIY stabilizer

Old April 4th 14, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default DIY stabilizer

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 05:29:53 -0700 (PDT),
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 02:32:56 UTC+1, Peter Jason wrote:
On 30 Mar 2014 19:54:33 GMT, Sandman

wrote:

Will make you look pretty stupid, but a pretty nifty solution for

stabilizing your camera.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/30/smal...etaphorically/

Instead, tie the camera to a heavy brick. The

weight of the assembly will resist vibrations.

I must try to remmeber to take a heavy brick with me next time ;-)

Old April 4th 14, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

wrote:

Will make you look pretty stupid, but a pretty nifty solution for

stabilizing your camera.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/30/smal...etaphorically/

Instead, tie the camera to a heavy brick. The

weight of the assembly will resist vibrations.

I must try to remmeber to take a heavy brick with me next time ;-)

If a brick is too much to bear, consider a piece
of rubber to put between the camera & a solid
object such as a brick wall (bricks already in
situ) to take HDR shots etc.
Old April 4th 14, 11:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Will make you look pretty stupid, but a pretty nifty solution for

stabilizing your camera.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/30/smal...etaphorically/

Instead, tie the camera to a heavy brick. The

weight of the assembly will resist vibrations.

I must try to remmeber to take a heavy brick with me next time ;-)

If a brick is too much to bear, consider a piece
of rubber to put between the camera & a solid
object such as a brick wall (bricks already in
situ) to take HDR shots etc.

A beanbag may be a more versatile solution.

Old April 17th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Will make you look pretty stupid, but a pretty nifty solution for
stabilizing your camera.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/30/smal...nt-hurt-your-p
ocket-literally-and-metaphorically/

Holding a small tabletop tripod works much better and takes up no more
space in a pocket. Still better, it works as a real tripod when there's
a table around.
Old April 18th 14, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

RichA wrote:
Do people, properly equipped and set-up, lose many shots to blurring today?

While taking pictures of Byzantine mosaics some 40 years ago inside a
very dark church in Istanbul, I did what a then elderly photographer had
taught me. I simply used the self-timer, which allowed me to brace the
SLR with two hands. I got some very nice pix, including telephoto shots,
which otherwise would have been quite blurred. Of course, this only
works with stationary objects.

Mort Linder
Old April 21st 14, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

Le 31/03/14 02:33, PeterN a écrit :

Not sure it works where it is most needed, on long, heavy lenses.

Noëlle Adam

I have used a variation, using mono filament, instead of a string. It is
similar to what tony Cooper described and works quite well.

On long heavy lense with no place to mount a tripod ?
Nowadays, when I have a blurry shot it is with my 80-200 2,8, old model
that does not allow the use of a tripod collar. (It slide for zooming).

A friend, who was not a experienced photographer but a ranked elite
military (and martial artist), was able to shoot pictures with no blur
at 1 to 2 second.
With no VR of course, whatever the weight of the lense.
Oh ****.

Noëlle Adam

Old April 21st 14, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:

On long heavy lense with no place to mount a tripod ?
Nowadays, when I have a blurry shot it is with my 80-200 2,8, old model
that does not allow the use of a tripod collar. (It slide for zooming).

there are brackets that can add a tripod collar to those types of
lenses. it mounts on the camera and extends out along the lens axis to
put the support under the lens rather than on the camera.
Old April 21st 14, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-04-21 12:06:50 +0000, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
said:

Le 31/03/14 02:33, PeterN a écrit :

Not sure it works where it is most needed, on long, heavy lenses.

Noëlle Adam

I have used a variation, using mono filament, instead of a string. It is
similar to what tony Cooper described and works quite well.

On long heavy lense with no place to mount a tripod ?
Nowadays, when I have a blurry shot it is with my 80-200 2,8, old
model that does not allow the use of a tripod collar. (It slide for
zooming).

The Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 was originally not delivered with a tripod
collar (it is now), or a lens hood. However, there are both Nikon and
third party accessories available.
http://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Qualit.../dp/B00E0Y10DS

A friend, who was not a experienced photographer but a ranked elite
military (and martial artist), was able to shoot pictures with no blur
at 1 to 2 second.
With no VR of course, whatever the weight of the lense.
Oh ****.

Noëlle Adam

Savageduck

Old April 21st 14, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 4/21/2014 8:06 AM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:
Le 31/03/14 02:33, PeterN a écrit :

Not sure it works where it is most needed, on long, heavy lenses.

Noëlle Adam

I have used a variation, using mono filament, instead of a string. It is
similar to what tony Cooper described and works quite well.

On long heavy lense with no place to mount a tripod ?
Nowadays, when I have a blurry shot it is with my 80-200 2,8, old model
that does not allow the use of a tripod collar. (It slide for zooming).

A friend, who was not a experienced photographer but a ranked elite
military (and martial artist), was able to shoot pictures with no blur
at 1 to 2 second.
With no VR of course, whatever the weight of the lense.
Oh ****.

Good friend to have, if you get into a bad situation.

When hand holding (a tele lens,) I remove the tripod collar to reduce
the weight. I also turn off VR for my bird shooting.

--
PeterN
Old April 21st 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

When hand holding (a tele lens,) I remove the tripod collar to reduce
the weight. I also turn off VR for my bird shooting.

because the weight of a tripod collar is such a significant percentage
of the overall weight of the camera and a long lens.

be sure to also remove the quick release plate, the neck strap and even
the lcd cover. it adds up.