Sony closes 2/3 of its stores in the U.S.

Old March 4th 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Sony closes 2/3 of its stores in the U.S.

On 2014.03.03, 19:49 , Eric Stevens wrote:

Nor is it needed on later Windows in that Windows defrags
automatically.

Defrag wasn't really of much benefit any time after ca. 1995 to (maybe)
2000. Disks were getting big, the spare space was large, the transfer
bandwidth was nowhere near processing bandwidth.

--
... it may be that "in the cloud" really isn't the best term
for the services these companies offer. What they really
Old March 4th 14, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:39:29 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't have to explain to you where you are twisting what I wrote.
I'm sure you know very well.

please do, because it will be most entertaining.

On 3 March I wrote:

"I've never before been asked for permission to install and _then_
told I may need a new registration code - which I will have to pay
for."

You replied in correction:

"that's not what happened, and if the phrasing is as you say, it is
'may need', not 'will need'."

I rejected your correction:

"Try to again read what I wrote. You might find I never wrote "will
need". You are trying to put words in my mouth."

You came back to me in attempt to have it that I at least implied the
word 'will'.

"you *may* need a new registration code. that means there are
situations where you will and situations where you will not.

I have never used the term 'will need' in this context.

you said 'will have to pay for', which is essentially the same thing.

You really are an expert at confusing an argument. The problem is you
fall for it yourself.

you also said 'may need a new registration code' and as i said, you
will not because you don't have quicktime pro.

I wasn't updating Quicktime Pro. As you say, I don't have it.

however, if you choose to buy quicktime pro, then you will need to pay
for a code.

simple stuff.

Duh!

Eric Stevens
Old March 4th 14, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:33:07 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what hardware maintenance is there to do?

since there is basically none, maintenance must mean software.

So drives, memory chips, and batteries never fail.

straw man, and those items are *repair*, not maintenance.

come back when you learn the difference.

In the very early days of this discussion someone quoted fro iFixit.
Repairs were included in maintenance.

people don't send computers to ifixit or anywhere else for maintenance.

You are focussed on such a narrow definition of maintenance that you
must be suffereing from eye strain.

computer maintenance is almost all software.

Eric Stevens
Old March 4th 14, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , PeterN wrote:

PeterN:
And again you contradict yourself, within the same
post.

nospam:
i did no such thing.

PeterN:
Oh!

Sandman:
I love these "Oh!" posts from Peter, the perfect sound a deer does
before being run over by an 18-wheeler of reality.

Roadkill, yet again.

More wisdom from the popinjay

Damn, I was hoping you would leave the group when you said bye. I know
better than to trust your word!

Imagine how much better this place would be without you . less trolling and
more discussion about photography!

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 4th 14, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

PeterN:
HD defrag

nospam:
defragmentation is software, not hardware, and it's not needed on
macs anyway.

Nor is it needed on later Windows in that Windows defrags
automatically.

Only problem with that is that no one is running the latest version of
Windows.

I think that one should compare the latest version of operating system in
these cases, and in the case of OSX, that means you're talking about the
version that most people use (40% of users), but the adoption rate of
Windows 8 has been abysmal and is only used by 9% of users, and Windows 7
is run by 47% and Windows *XP* is used by 32%.

Yeah, the latest version of Windows has a long way to go to come close to a
*thirteen* old operating system. This is Windows land.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 4th 14, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

nospam:
In article , Eric
Stevens

what hardware maintenance is there to do?

since there is basically none, maintenance must mean
software.

PeterN:
So drives, memory chips, and batteries never fail.

nospam:
straw man, and those items are *repair*, not maintenance.

come back when you learn the difference.

Eric Stevens:
In the very early days of this discussion someone quoted fro
iFixit. Repairs were included in maintenance.

nospam:
people don't send computers to ifixit or anywhere else for
maintenance.

You are focussed on such a narrow definition of maintenance that you
must be suffereing from eye strain.

No matter how wide you focus, the word "maintenance" doesn't magically come
to include repairs. Stop reading from Andreas clown dictionary.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 4th 14, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

nospam:
people don't send computers to ifixit or anywhere else
for maintenance.

Eric Stevens:
You are focussed on such a narrow definition of maintenance that
you must be suffereing from eye strain.

Sandman:
No matter how wide you focus, the word "maintenance" doesn't
magically come to include repairs. Stop reading from Andreas clown
dictionary.

The Swedish Popinjay actually used a photographic term! "Focus".
That the closest he's come to posting on the subject of photography
in the last 100 or so posts of his.

Keep up the lies, Andreas, it's what you do best. Don't come too close to
mention photography again, we know you have no interest in discussing that,
only trolling and lying about others.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 4th 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Sandman wrote:

nospam:
you are mistakenly assuming all backups are equivalent and merely
by having a checklist item called 'automatic backups' that it
works in exactly the same way.

That it work in exactly the same way is irrelevant, that it achieves
the desired level of backups in an automatic manner is the point.

Incorrect. The end result is irrelevant in a discussion concerning *ease
of use*. You can take a photo in a thousand ways and get the same result,
but none will have the same *ease of use*.

No matter how often you try and change the subject it is still about
maintenance. Read what nospam wrote at the start of this little spat.

In a discussion about ease of use, the end result is irrelevant, it's
*HOW* you get to the end result that is all that matters.

You are wrong again, the end result *is* what is being talked about.

nospam:
that is completely wrong.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/did-you-know-windows-8-has-a-built-in-time-machine-backup/

Stop flaunting your ignorance, sid.

Stop being a ******, Jonas.

Now I'm not advocating this software in any way, as you must be
aware I don't use windows at all so I have not tried it, I'm just
putting it out there.

So.. basically, you're ignorant about both Windows and Macs, yet you
participate in a Windows vs. Mac discussion? Sounds... intelligent.

You really should read what nospam wrote in the first place,

--
sid
Old March 4th 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

nospam wrote:

that's why people want macs, iphones, etc., because they're easy to
use. sure, you 'can' do similar things on other hardware, but usually
with a *lot* more hassle. linux is a prime example of this.

That pretty much proves the point, you *are* an Apple evangelist.

--
sid
Old March 4th 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Sandman wrote:

You are in a Mac vs. Windows discussion yet know nothing about Macs?

No, I'm not. Learn to read.

Why are you here?

Because I was having a discussion with nospam when you barged in, you
arrogant ******.

Sandman:
Run away, little boy. Don't let the hard cold facts hit you on the
way out.

You're so unoriginal it's actually cringe worthy.

Now run along. I don't know why you keep coming back for more all the
time.

I don't keep coming back, I've been here all along. It'd take more than
you're able to give out you sad arrogant ******.

--
sid